Is POE 2 going to have male and female options for each class / character

what about us gender neutral people?
i never cared about the gender of a character in a video game before

(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"
RitualMurder wrote:

Sure, you may not have a problem with it, but that's because you're seeing these as "characters", which is 100% fair.

I personally think there's a problem with just considering it a "character", yet the players are still allowed to name the "character". There's sometimes a sense of "you can make this uniquely yours" when you allow people to do something like name the thing or person they're playing as, which I think is where your understanding may trip up a bit.

The reason it bothers so many people that they can't swap gender AT LEAST (more customization options is always better, of course) is because it almost completely takes away the axis of customization and personalization, and can make it harder for people to connect with or care about the thing they're playing as, especially when it's treated as something that should be relatively faceless. The player characters are just called by their classes. "Shadow", "Witch", "Marauder". These are very generic.

Something as simple as allowing people to change skin tone, hair styles, facial structures, and the like also go a long way towards helping people connect better, but being able to gender swap is considered the most basic of basic customizations. It's why diablo 3, when given the opportunity let people customize their character in some small sense, chose to do gender swapping, and it was enough, because no other ARPG (to my knowledge) had taken the steps to allow even THAT level of customization in character creation.

I may be able to play a class of any gender now, but I would be lying if I didn't say that gender locking has turned me off of A LOT of games, including this one for a while. People just like customization.
Last edited by Rannulf on Mar 26, 2023, 6:42:28 PM
I think a nice little middle ground that could be struck is giving us a second, male option for the scion. I know it offers less ability to hard focus on certain things, but at least there's a way to reach most playstyles on a character that could be male or female.
"
Rannulf wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:

Sure, you may not have a problem with it, but that's because you're seeing these as "characters", which is 100% fair.

I personally think there's a problem with just considering it a "character", yet the players are still allowed to name the "character". There's sometimes a sense of "you can make this uniquely yours" when you allow people to do something like name the thing or person they're playing as, which I think is where your understanding may trip up a bit.

The reason it bothers so many people that they can't swap gender AT LEAST (more customization options is always better, of course) is because it almost completely takes away the axis of customization and personalization, and can make it harder for people to connect with or care about the thing they're playing as, especially when it's treated as something that should be relatively faceless. The player characters are just called by their classes. "Shadow", "Witch", "Marauder". These are very generic.

Something as simple as allowing people to change skin tone, hair styles, facial structures, and the like also go a long way towards helping people connect better, but being able to gender swap is considered the most basic of basic customizations. It's why diablo 3, when given the opportunity let people customize their character in some small sense, chose to do gender swapping, and it was enough, because no other ARPG (to my knowledge) had taken the steps to allow even THAT level of customization in character creation.

I may be able to play a class of any gender now, but I would be lying if I didn't say that gender locking has turned me off of A LOT of games, including this one for a while. People just like customization.

I think its the fact that en masse people dont care. Whenever i hear the reason why males play a female character in any game, they say they "like having something good to look at", it makes me cringe but that seems like an optional thing for most people and not a big deal.
This is a thing I can't be bothered to care about. Keep it as it is or add it, all the same to me. Valuable post, I know.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Didn't bothered anyone since years so idk.
Most people don't care about it cause the game play won't be any different with the opposite gender of a class.

We play a arpg hack and slash game after all, and not a cringe rp city simulator to serve some peoples weird pixel needs.

Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Mar 26, 2023, 7:18:47 PM
"
Molochmane wrote:
Why not?

I'll pay GGG money.

There's money and then there's *money*.

--

This thread is bait. Back to my female Sorcerer -- while noting the Sorcerer in D1 was male only. Gee I wonder what changed oh yeah that's right *money*.

As for those trying to differentiate between ARPGs and other RPGs: you are the problem. There is no need for them to be distinct. An ARPG can have a rich world, good writing, great fashion options, all that...you are just used to equating anything but galaxybrain build theory with "cringe". Don't. Trust me: Exiles are very much considered the same from the outside. You are neither better nor worse than any other type of gamer.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 26, 2023, 7:51:46 PM
"
"
Molochmane wrote:
Why not?

I'll pay GGG money.

There's money and then there's *money*.

--

This thread is bait. Back to my female Sorcerer -- while noting the Sorcerer in D1 was male only. Gee I wonder what changed oh yeah that's right *money*.

As for those trying to differentiate between ARPGs and other RPGs: you are the problem. There is no need for them to be distinct. An ARPG can have a rich world, good writing, great fashion options, all that...you are just used to equating anything but galaxybrain build theory with "cringe". Don't. Trust me: Exiles are very much considered the same from the outside. You are neither better nor worse than any other type of gamer.

Yet you are still here complaining about POE. Different games do different thing differently.

And yes it comes down to money, POE rather spend their money creating a better end game than different characters for your class. It is what it is.
Complaining? Point out where I do that re PoE please. I see no need to complain about something I don't use. Maybe you meant a different verb adjacent to complain -- but I definitely don't complain. That would also imply some hope of change as a result, wouldn't it? PoE is perfect for those who want what it delivers, including plenty to complain about. ^_^

Your either/or re expenditure is a false dichotomy.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 26, 2023, 8:27:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info