Is POE 2 going to have male and female options for each class / character

"
Man, i knew this thread was bait. And here I am chewing gristle no one cares about. Damnit. At least with the DI V threads I knew it was wasting time. This just makes me nostalgic for back when it seemed GGG were going to explore Wraeclast's huge map instead of fucking off into dreamlands.

We do know the non-Eternal regions of Wraeclast have events, and events connected to Oriath, Kirac (A late era commander of the peoples milita in Oriath, so post templar, though his brother was a Templar, so likely Kirac had some connection to the group himself), earned his rank fighting in Phyrral, a north western region of Wraeclast we know basically nothing about, other than its where Harbingers first appeared.

I do agree, there's so much space to explore in the world, hopefully PoE 2 spends its time there, rather than only in the Atlas post campaign. I'd love to see Maraketh Proper, or what the Ezomyte lands actually look like beyond a few bits of dialog from Gigor, Rigwald and Jorgin. My sorta head cannon throws out the Atlas and just mentally treats them as different parts of Wraeclast (save for some of the really out there stuff like Breachrealms and what not that clearly seem extra-dimentional). Only the Elder, Shaper and Siris to me really feel like they need to stay in the atlas narratively (and feel much more threatening when they influence a map from their 'bubble' of protection of the Atlas).

Heck I made a full on 5th ed conversion just to have roaming RPG adventures in that extended land (and a few other tweaks needed to make the normal roleplaying bits make sense).
Honestly, would love to see gender selections for every class in 2023. I'll happily continue buying supporter packs for years to come. More variety, please.
Let us also keep in mind that new gender-swapped character models will also have to be constructed for the Dance MTXs. I dunno how popular those are to buy (personally, I enjoy using them when I'm hanging out in town), but I almost never see 'em used by other players. That's seven more animation sets needed to support such a change. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Klungoko wrote:

Yes. Not at release, they will be paid MTX, and probably added one at a time over some duration. They will be new "characters" but will start at the same location on the tree and be able to pick from the same ascendancy options. This mechanic was discussed during one of the PoE2 previews, they didn't specifically state they would add alternate genders to every class (safe bet though), but they did talk about adding "new characters" to the classes as MTX, how they would be doing it, and alluded to this being for things like alternate genders. It likely wont be limited to alternate genders either though, they could for example add a less buff looking marauder, or a younger templar, each with their own "story" and limited voice set. Basically the gender swap or advanced costumes from Marvel Heroes. Rather than add character customization like any other modern game GGG wants to exploit the desire for people to change their characters for monetary gain.

Because remember, if a character has a backstory, personality, and a voice, it's illegal to allow you to customize them. Games like Cyberpunk 2077 don't actually exist.
"
Astasia wrote:
"
Klungoko wrote:

Yes. Not at release, they will be paid MTX, and probably added one at a time over some duration. They will be new "characters" but will start at the same location on the tree and be able to pick from the same ascendancy options. This mechanic was discussed during one of the PoE2 previews, they didn't specifically state they would add alternate genders to every class (safe bet though), but they did talk about adding "new characters" to the classes as MTX, how they would be doing it, and alluded to this being for things like alternate genders. It likely wont be limited to alternate genders either though, they could for example add a less buff looking marauder, or a younger templar, each with their own "story" and limited voice set. Basically the gender swap or advanced costumes from Marvel Heroes. Rather than add character customization like any other modern game GGG wants to exploit the desire for people to change their characters for monetary gain.

Because remember, if a character has a backstory, personality, and a voice, it's illegal to allow you to customize them. Games like Cyberpunk 2077 don't actually exist.

Absolutely no chance on existing characters getting alternative gender options. The modeling costs and assets in the game that would have to be changed are huge. That MTX would need to be in the thousands. I don't know what sort of RoI you would expect either. Is a female marauder really driving revenue to offset the cost of development? I don't think so.

Also if they do pay wall "new characters" behind mtx or "support" there will be a revolt. That won't happen either.

I think they are better off focusing on ascendancy choice, rather than add a "new character" to the passive tree. One of PoE's selling points is a lack of specific character identity, so I don't think a new one is needed.

That said Scion was a surprise when it came out, so maybe GGG has something up their sleeve.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
The modeling costs and assets in the game that would have to be changed are huge. That MTX would need to be in the thousands.

That is simply not the case. Generally speaking an armor model gets one or two variations for each piece and those are dynamically applied to the character model based on a series of scaling sliders. Adding a new character model to the game would only require punching the value of those sliders in and doing a batch build of all existing armors to fit the new model, this could take minutes or hours depending on their tools. There might be some edge cases with clipping issues to tweak if the new model is significantly different than existing models. The only real work here is creating the base model and animations (if it has unique ones), and optionally voicing some key gameplay related lines (probably not campaign reactions).

They have already created the foundation of this system, it's what they are using to have the campaign 1 and campaign 2 characters exist as separate characters, and it was designed specifically to allow them to add more characters to it. This is absolutely something that is going to happen, there will be more character models added, the question in the air is only will those include gender options for each existing character or not. It should be obvious why they created this system though and what they expect to get out of it.

It's not going to cause revolts any more so than it did in Marvel Heroes, where the gender swap skins were one of Gazillions best sellers.
"
Astasia wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
The modeling costs and assets in the game that would have to be changed are huge. That MTX would need to be in the thousands.

That is simply not the case. Generally speaking an armor model gets one or two variations for each piece and those are dynamically applied to the character model based on a series of scaling sliders. Adding a new character model to the game would only require punching the value of those sliders in and doing a batch build of all existing armors to fit the new model, this could take minutes or hours depending on their tools. There might be some edge cases with clipping issues to tweak if the new model is significantly different than existing models. The only real work here is creating the base model and animations (if it has unique ones), and optionally voicing some key gameplay related lines (probably not campaign reactions).

They have already created the foundation of this system, it's what they are using to have the campaign 1 and campaign 2 characters exist as separate characters, and it was designed specifically to allow them to add more characters to it. This is absolutely something that is going to happen, there will be more character models added, the question in the air is only will those include gender options for each existing character or not. It should be obvious why they created this system though and what they expect to get out of it.

It's not going to cause revolts any more so than it did in Marvel Heroes, where the gender swap skins were one of Gazillions best sellers.

You are minimizing the development scope way, way, too much. Jonathan talked about this at Exilecon I believe, or some interview a few years ago, and it's a significant endeavor. If it wasn't, what do you think the reasoning would be in GGG not doing it?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
You are minimizing the development scope way, way, too much. Jonathan talked about this at Exilecon I believe, or some interview a few years ago, and it's a significant endeavor. If it wasn't, what do you think the reasoning would be in GGG not doing it?

I'm not minimizing anything. The reason they haven't done it before now is because there was no platform to allow alternate character models other than adding brand new characters like the Scion. What they had to develop was a mechanic for people to be able to select from multiple character options, that's what they have done for PoE2, which means they can now start populating the game with those extra character options.
"
Astasia wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I'm not minimizing anything. The reason they haven't done it before now is because there was no platform to allow alternate character models other than adding brand new characters like the Scion. What they had to develop was a mechanic for people to be able to select from multiple character options, that's what they have done for PoE2, which means they can now start populating the game with those extra character options.

Ah ok we are we now including this on the "oh PoE2 will fix it" list, which is getting pretty long tbh.

Sure, maybe PoE2 will have gender options for all classes. Then again maybe it won't. They have committed nothing, on that front, nor did they ever say they would starting doing this. I can't rule it out obviously, I just doubt it.

And again I dont think that would be an MTX pay wall either if it does come to fruition.
- Abraham Lincoln
[Removed by Support]

Anything you're going to see are thousands of effects and explosions anyway, you might as well play as a stone, since the only time you'll ever see your character is when you're in your hideout.
Last edited by Will_GGG on Mar 30, 2023, 2:20:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info