i'm sorry but there is no stopping POE.

What's funny is I have almost zero faith in Blizzard to deliver any good products again.

However, with how bad PoE has become, D4 doesn't actually have to do much for me to want to play it over PoE. Specifically the moment to moment gameplay. Because the vast majority of PoE gameplay is mapping, and it feels like *ass*. There's no decision making, there's no game in the gameplay. You destroy screens in one click, normal / magic / rare monsters it's doesn't matter, and you use one skill. Oh man are you at the map boss? Pop some CD's and if you're lucky you might get to experience a couple seconds of an almost-fight.

D4 will assuredly have less overall depth, less crafting (good personally) and obviously less mechanics since PoE has become so damn bloated.

But, if D4's monsters and bosses actually live long enough to fight back, I need to use all my skills and make quick decisions to survive, and actual usable gear drops from said monsters, then that's a win. We'll see.
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Destructodave wrote:
Diablo 4 will be really popular far longer than D3, since it looks to be a live service game.

People have a bit of a revisionist history when they think about D3. They compare the D3 of today to the D3 of 2012-2014, during Vanilla and RoS releases. It was insanely popular back then. Massively more popular than PoE.

But it was one and done with no updates. A tortoise and the hair scenario. PoE's constant leagues, updates, and new content just slowly but surely surpassed Diablo.

If Diablo can actually supply a similar content schedule to PoE, its going to be pretty stiff competition.

Which is a good thing, IMO.

The initial release of D3 had some redeeming qualities. The drop rate was much better, and the difficulty was more challenging. There was no build diversity still and itemization was bad, but you at least had to work a little to finish the otherwise shallow builds. I don't have any love for the RMAH though; that's a blackeye for the industry for sure.

So I tried an experiment, and didn't use any "help" for my seasonal journey. Didn't use Haegrids gift or the challenge dungeon mats. Took me 40 hours to get the full set I wanted on my DH. While drop rates are insanely high at high grift/rift levels, they are certainly not at lower levels.
"
grozar wrote:
New League, new content, new mechanics… every 3-4 months, nothing can stop it.

It is nice to see other arpgs copy this model. Maybe because it is lucrative?
Pour one out for my Syndicate homies.

Complex PoE mechanics are getting Diablofied.

GGG: What's better than stable income? Random income of course.
"
Bleu42 wrote:
What's funny is I have almost zero faith in Blizzard to deliver any good products again.

However, with how bad PoE has become, D4 doesn't actually have to do much for me to want to play it over PoE. Specifically the moment to moment gameplay. Because the vast majority of PoE gameplay is mapping, and it feels like *ass*. There's no decision making, there's no game in the gameplay. You destroy screens in one click, normal / magic / rare monsters it's doesn't matter, and you use one skill. Oh man are you at the map boss? Pop some CD's and if you're lucky you might get to experience a couple seconds of an almost-fight.

D4 will assuredly have less overall depth, less crafting (good personally) and obviously less mechanics since PoE has become so damn bloated.

But, if D4's monsters and bosses actually live long enough to fight back, I need to use all my skills and make quick decisions to survive, and actual usable gear drops from said monsters, then that's a win. We'll see.

If I were running PoE I'd try to import some of the interesting gameplay found in some turn-based games like ToME, that has a similarly complex game, but with considerably more tactical gameplay choices (at least as long as you don't get so OP that you just bump-kill everything). Converting that into real-time would take some work, but I think it could be doable and make PoE more tactical.
Watching D4 stream right now.

PoE is safe, that's all I'll say.
"
dagul23 wrote:
As an original Diablo player, Diablo 4 is a bust. Graphics alone can't revive the best ARPG of my time. POE is the benchmark right now and I can't find a game that would interest me more in terms of "grinding per progression" game.
But that's just me. Diablo is dead, let's see what POE 2 brings, then we'll talk about what's the best ARPG in 2023 and beyond. Peace!

poe2 is the same game again.
a crafting simulator.
"
Watching D4 stream right now.

PoE is safe, that's all I'll say.

It does kind of look like D3 with a few bells and whistles after watching a little gameplay. For people that liked D3, that seems like a win I suppose.
"
Bleu42 wrote:

BINGO, WINNER WINNER!!! You are exactly right that there is no GAMEPLAY in the moment to moment.

Path of Exile might as well be a COOKIE CLICKER idle game at this point. If they can't slow it down and actually add some combat gameplay in Path of Exile 2, then RIP.
Last edited by JakeCourtney on Mar 17, 2023, 11:18:30 PM
after 7 hrs of being unable to play I am finally up to level 9.. and will resume tomorrow as I am tired of crashing

I was literally playing LE while the D4 client was on the waiting queue screen

It was hell getting started with the default walk+attack but after you hit their dumb arbitrary 7 skill point minimum I reassigned everything and it began to feel like poe.. and LE

environment is fantastic

so far items are .. look for green arrow.. funny LE you can enable mod comparison but LE mods you do need to take a hard look at where as right now in D4 .. green arrow all you need

the mmo feel I actually enjoyed.. our of nowhere players show up for these small clashes of combat and then you can either keep running with or just go your way

I won’t judge until June’s full release but honestly as I am playing D4 I am being pulled to my 83 level toon in LE heh.. 1/2 the graphics but 2x the fun so far with LE
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
"
JakeCourtney wrote:

Path of Exile might as well be a COOKIE CLICKER idle game at this point.

Funnily enough, I've made this exact same comparison a few times over the years.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info