Path of Exile Audio Team Q&A

i am overall very satisfied with the audio, but one thing really nags me is the maven. I dunno what it is about it but i think it might be a voice effect or something XD
I hope there will be a command to not overlap same custom alert sounds in the loot filter. I use dota 2 chat wheels; when two same currencies drop consecutively, the sound becomes weird as the same sound overlaps. Huhu.
Not so much a question as a statement, but I just want to let you guys know that the 'invited to party' sound alert should be a chat alert in terms of sound volume settings.

I often turn off all sound except chat alerts to trade while doing something else but I cannot hear party invites.
Questions for the team:

- What kind of software do you use on a daily basis, for someone wanting to learn ?
- Are there any online courses or specific schooling you would recommend for someone wanting to learn more about a job like yours?
- Who is the Hans Zimmer of Game Sound Design, who are your professional heroes?
- What sort of innovations do you have planned for PoE 2 that you can talk about?

Thanks for reading!
How do you match music and areas? Do you have a bunch of music ready and when you make a new zone you match which one fits best or does a music person see a tileset and magically comes up with the perfect music for it?
How is Kamil such a god and why aren't you paying him more?
You are all smashing it. Sound effects design, OST and voice acting in Path of Exile are mostly superb. Really great job, I appreciate talent and effort put into this.

Oh yeah, one question I would have. Where do you find such talented voice actors? For Sound Designer or music producer, people apply for a job or get contacted via business mail after being acquaintanced with their work. When looking for voice actor, you are looking for someone very specific to fill certain role. Where do you find these people? :D

I did find some sound bugs while playing the game lately and I remember them very well as they are recurring thing. I don't know if it's right place to point or not but I will bite (please don't tag me to repost it somewhere else, I am lazy and opportunistic so I just use this opportunity to give credit to artists and point out issues I found related to sounds in game, if you know where to report it, please do):

1) When you transition between Act 1 and Act 2, background music during jungle valley monkey encounters suddenly is being turned off for some kind of reason.

2) Alva's voice volume is extremally lowered when you meet her and talk with her in Act 6 Lioneye's Watch (or was it Act 7, Forest Encampment, one of these)

Cheers :)
Last edited by Adventowy on Oct 4, 2022, 3:06:59 AM
Any plan to had more options for disabling specific sounds?

Too many sound effects are classified under "Sound Effects Volume". Some are crucial for gameplay, some are simply cosmetic while others are major annoyances.

The most glaring example of annoying sound effects is of course the endurance/frenzy/power charges sound (have you really tried using Ralakesh's Impatience by the way?) but there could be some other targets for removal such as the "skill is on cooldown" or "no mana left" voicelines which can become really annoying on some characters.
"
Kaerthon wrote:
Questions for the team:

- What kind of software do you use on a daily basis, for someone wanting to learn ?
- Are there any online courses or specific schooling you would recommend for someone wanting to learn more about a job like yours?
- Who is the Hans Zimmer of Game Sound Design, who are your professional heroes?
- What sort of innovations do you have planned for PoE 2 that you can talk about?

Thanks for reading!

Great questions!

Two extra questions.

- What does 'channel count' mean in the audio settings?
- Does the audio team go out to record/capture real life environments like forest, seaside for the purpose of creating atmosphere in certain areas/maps? If they do, what kind of equipment do they use to do that?

Last edited by biaXamseng on Oct 4, 2022, 2:52:44 AM
6 string or 7 string?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info