widescreen resolution removed from the game.

"
sdfesdfe wrote:
You can all shove your 32:9 monitors to an appropriate hole that I won't specify.
Performance be damned, it very clearly provides a gameplay advantage over anyone with an 16:9 display, which is most of the world. If you don't like the black bars play it windowed.

Ah yes, this supposed player advantage that definitely affects anyone in this barely multiplayer game.
Last edited by Aluen on Nov 24, 2022, 5:12:05 AM
yeah for whatever reason this game gets designed for eSports so your not allowed to use your monitor. You must lose out to cater to the 15 or so utub PoE-Career players that play the game.
Last edited by AmpegV4 on Nov 24, 2022, 4:50:18 AM
Get your CRT monitors ready.

In 3.20 we'll be locked to 1024x768
I do this for you my brothers and sisters.
GGG please fix this, thx
"
TheVilifi wrote:
Not purchasing any MTX or supporter packs until this is reverted.

Still holding to my guns, been a massive supporter of GGG for years. I refuse to support to this company until it's reverted.
"
Echothesis wrote:
"
Smooshfaced wrote:

This isn't an answer, let me tell you why. There is a community fix that removes the black bars. Everything beyond the black bars is still being processed on the server end, sent to the client, and the client is still processing and rendering the boxes/monsters/effects behind the black bars. And yes, they are still there, they haven't "vanished".

This means that what they've done isn't going to "help" serialization at all, since the servers are still doing all of the work, and the clients are still receiving all of the information and then processing it. Clearly this isn't "the widest they can currently go", and this won't help serialization, because all they did was slap two black bars on the sides of the screen instead of actually changing the code to reduce what is being processed and transferred to the client.

They say they are looking to increase the distance, but the game already functions beyond that distance. At least lengthen it to the point where the ACTUAL vanishing occurs, which is just around the very edges of a 32:9 monitor. 21:9 is arbitrary and not an actual cutoff.

If the game is capable of keeping updating actors at arbitrarily large distances up to the whole map, it does not mean devs like this situation, as it allows specific players to generate much more server and bandwidth load. Maybe behind those black bars they have actually simplified mob AI or something.

I would certainly love to be able to see in game far enough to prevent bad game design like Sirus jumping offscreen and sniping from there without any directional indicators, but these things are exactly what GGG "challenges" are about. Allow players to outmaneuver bloated instakill mechanics?? Never!

Unless half of the playerbase is sporting ultrawide monitors, the real reason behind this change likely was not server load, but prevention of players circumventing the designed difficulty. And for some reason still allowing projectile attacks to kill things 2 screens away, lol.

My point is if THIS is the reason, then they just need to tell us instead of hiding behind "technical limitations" that their fix doesn't even address. It's a ridiculous reason, but at least it would be a reason that makes sense.

That said, to be frank, the 32:9 really doesn't give gameplay advantage over 21:9 (I definitely didn't see one when I switched) but what it does give is total immersion, which is really invigorating to play with.
what they could do is "compensate".

currently, all resolutions have the same height of displayed content and ultrafuckingwidescreen users just see more horizontal content (left and right).

to compensate for that advantage ggg could reduce the content those players see vertically (in the height).

it's a compromise everybody can live with i guess.

---

on a related note, i'm really wondering why every interesting thread in the last years got "hate bombed" to close it down and this annoying thing survived for that long.
if somebody isn't spending a spare email address soon it will get to "remove the labyrinth cause i'm too unskilled to do it" dimensions!!11
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
on a related note, i'm really wondering why every interesting thread in the last years got "hate bombed" to close it down and this annoying thing survived for that long.
if somebody isn't spending a spare email address soon it will get to "remove the labyrinth cause i'm too unskilled to do it" dimensions!!11

Lets be fair, this is a completely different type of issue than that.
Spoiler
Personally I'm unaffected by these changes due to not having da money for a nice monitor but I do care because it had chased one of my guildies off so I may be a bit biased. They really should address this at some point IMHO.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Since this point seems to be missed by all the white knights here ( and I'm sick of reading about competitive advantage of a 32:9 screen ) let's just be absolutely straight on a point :

POE IS NOT a competitive game, 32:9 give no advantage in a non competitive game that is BARELY multiplayer ( except market and maybe only a couple of time played with someone to help me clear out a boss ... there is NO multiplayer attractiveness to POE what so ever ).

32:9 only add immersion and visual pleasure.

If YOU play POE competitively, well ... I'm just sorry for you mate, 55 page of people here that don't play the game competitively and have actually bought a game that was stolen from them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info