Character Balance in Path of Exile: Lake of Kalandra

Every expansion thanks to the heavy nerfs, instead of buffs
We are loosing from 20 to 70% of the viable builds.
So - even if You add 5 new skills - You are actually killing diversity, like removing 1 skill.
I am not sure how these decisions are made, but I can not see even one reasonable since 2016.

Remember : Most MMOs went down just because unreasonable and making players unhappy actions.
Keep doing this, and I can only promise that PoE2 wont bring You happy results for sure, since You already have/had practically everyone of the target auditory.
Indi game developer, passionate gamer, 22 year of programming, 32 years of playing RPG's started with books and board games.

If Your characters tab is set to private - Your arguments is already invalid!
"
snowmittens wrote:
"
Universalis wrote:
I don't understand why ggg persists in harassing the 10% who play necromancer (and many are doing it since years) while we constantly have -new broken builds each new league- (like this fire trap dot inquisitor) because of a blatant failure of balance handling.
Maybe there's an hidden reason behind this, I can't expect to know the real intents.

this is what triggered GGG against necros:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3P3cTQL_qA

yeah, a video from 2019 triggered them in 2022 :D
Another season another nerf manifesto. Its just more of the same, casuals are clearly not wanted with nerf's across the board, making popular starter builds dumpster.

Seriously, casuals do NOT want to be forced into quitting their real world jobs to play poe 8 hours a day just to get to experience end game and too have some fun, seriously how can anyone support this.

I play for free exile, who do you D4
It is ok to nerf popular classes, but where are buffs for melee characters(real melee, not cyclone oncrit casters)? +2 range to cleave feels like taunting
There are so many things that would be nice to add like deathlog, dummies for dps testing just in game instead of POB, more detailed character and skills info, real comfortable trading system for softcore without those PMs which looks just like a bad joke.
But no, lets just change the numbers to make melee classes even weaker along with others))
"
Dragoon_Diver wrote:
"
Riverwind77 wrote:

you can say that GGG lost 50% of the LOYAL playerbase (including myself), until recent past the game has had a minimum of around 18~20k players, becoming 9~10k this league

so congrats to GGG to actually regress to pre-3.0 levels
so much for evolving the game

Theres no proof to support such statements, good luck on your COPIUM-commitment

nah
i actually have been quite generous
after all, of the 10k remaining players, how many of them are bots or only trading? or are you going to say that there is no proof of bots in the game?
what you say copium, i say you are in denial hehe
in the past i was just like you, defending the game with tooth and nails
and i can also say for myself, my guild had three people that used to play a lot on standard, but after recent nerfs every single one uninstalled
even perfect rolled legacy gear can't keep up
Last edited by Dragoon_Diver on Aug 5, 2022, 5:46:24 PM
Screw these nerfs D4 cant come out soon enough.
"
Dragoon_Diver wrote:
"
Dragoon_Diver wrote:
"
Riverwind77 wrote:

you can say that GGG lost 50% of the LOYAL playerbase (including myself), until recent past the game has had a minimum of around 18~20k players, becoming 9~10k this league

so congrats to GGG to actually regress to pre-3.0 levels
so much for evolving the game

Theres no proof to support such statements, good luck on your COPIUM-commitment

nah
i actually have been quite generous
after all, of the 10k remaining players, how many of them are bots or only trading? or are you going to say that there is no proof of bots in the game?
what you say copium, i say you are in denial hehe
in the past i was just like you, defending the game with tooth and nails
and i can also say for myself, my guild had three people that used to play a lot on standard, but after recent nerfs every single one uninstalled
even perfect rolled legacy gear can't keep up

another steam charts expert :D
"

Problem: Damage taken recouped as life is a relatively new recovery option, and there are not currently enough sources of it available for players who wish to invest heavily in it.

Solution: Incrementally improve the availability of this stat by adding it to the jewel modifier pool.

Damage recouped as life is a common vampiric power in other games and typical of necromancers. Would be cool to see some necromancer items/skills using this recovery method thematically.
Regarding Mana builds...Cloak of Defiance already has 40% of Damage taken from Mana before Life. So changing MoM and then removing the extra 10% makes it basically the same and doesn't do anything for Mana based builds...the only reason I would continue using it would be for the 1% regen, and its kind hard to justify dedicating your body piece for 1 stat. Hoping they replace the 10% with something else that makes it worth it to continue using.

Sugesstions?

Increased Regen
Increased Regen Rate
Mana Leech
Damage Recouped as Mana*

*like a Mana version of Stasis Prison (maybe not that rare lol)
You say you want to buff builds that use Mana as defense/life, and that you know you need to do more - but your start to it is, at best, a side grade and, at worst, a downgrade.

You said...

Spoiler
Problem: Mind over Matter, and builds that heavily invest in mana in general, have been left in an underpowered state by various balance changes and the increased power of investing in reservation skills.

Solution: As a first step, improve the base power of Mind over Matter and pull that power out of body armour mods. We're aware that this change does not solve all problems currently facing mana builds, and are considering exactly what further changes to make for future expansions.

Details:
The Mind over Matter Keystone Passive Skill now causes 40% of Damage to be taken from Mana before Life (previously 30%).

Damage taken from Mana before Life can no longer roll as an Influence modifier, Synthesized Implicit modifier, or Eldritch Implicit modifier on Body Armour.
The Cloak of Defiance Unique Body Armour no longer has 10% of Damage is Taken from Mana before Life.

The Veiled modifier that grants Damage taken from Mana before Life while Focused now provides values of 18–22% (previously 28–32%). The crafted versions of this modifier now provide values of 11–15% (previously 21–25%).

Well - if you want to buff MoM, just up it to 40% and don't make any other change beyond PERHAPS buffing the mana in the upper half of tree's starting areas OR (easier) just put a more mana point(s) behind MoM as a short-term fix (similar to some of the other notables that have/did have some pseudo powerful buffs behind them).

I mean, normally I would be ok with this, because you take power that required more work and are moving down to an easier place - but this is not a case of the upper end having too much power and the lower not enough - it's a system that needs buffing across the board because there is not enough mana in the upper half of the tree (and it should be more possible to get even higher damage conversions if people ant to roll it).

My builds that really leaned into MoM (and other mana stuff - because I hate myself apparently kek) got 50% before and now I will still get 50%. So, they are not buffed at all. However, the weaker/just-take-it-because-you-are-passing-by builds are getting a buff (but they were taking it anyway, so...).

It's nice that you see this mana stuff has a problem, but this intro buff does not inspire confidence - this was not something to have power moved, it was something to have power buffed across the board.

Again - buff MoM and make no other changes. OR 'other changes' could be...

Spoiler

- Place a node or cluster behind MoM that gives a nice bunch of mana at appropriate cost - like 5 points or whatever.
- Buff Mana in the upper half of the tree, perhaps focusing on starter areas and that one cluster south of MoM that increases and decreases costs.
- Add an increase to mana to Clarity on top of its regen (don't balance this with something, JUST add the mana increase - who cares if many want to use it now, that increases aura pressure, and you seem to want that anyway).
- Some Combination of the above (the first and/or third are 'easy')

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info