[3.20] Lightning Trap Saboteur | League Starter | Endgame Bosser | 4+mil dps on a 5link.

use eldrich battery to sustain mana until gloves, it feels a lot better
I'm really enjoying the leaguestart with this build.
Early maps were rippy from time to time due to archnemesis mobs.
Never had any mana issues, went from clarity + enduring mana flask to eldritch battery to slave driver's.

If you have survivabilty issues the timeless jewel gives you a lot more EHP.

I didn't have any loot issues, my the rng gods bless me forever. The only thing I still need is the forbidden flame/flesh combo.

Well written guide.
I actually played lots of trappers and miners and except the good old unnerfed and untouched GC Miner this is my top 3 builds of all time since Beastiary. I had a great league start as all trappers should have(really didnt understand the people who said they had a bad start). I had minor deaths mostly me being clumsy and not caring on t14-15s but i had nothing but a 5l tinkerskin and as soon as I started getting my core items like Slavedrivers and Void Batteries oh boy, what a rush that was.

I actually congratulate you on writing such an in-depth, well-written and overall great guide. This build is an amazing trapper I have never experienced and I am having such a rush and fun with it playing this league. I have around 3-3.5m dps on Pob if i am actually calculating it properly. I had some different ideas from the original mid investment tree and gear but still it is definitely a beast imo. I recorded a gameplay from the Cortex fight out of curiosity how it will perform it was my first time trying it in. Did some mistakes but it actually proved me how tanky i am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpepRQAI-Hk

So thanks again so much for making a great character and well-written guide. Hope everyone is having fun with their characters and leagues!

Actually forgot to add in the modifiers of the cortex in the video so here it is.
Is tinkerskin really that good as a body armour for this build? I never really used it on any trapper build, there always were other strong options giving more dps or other things. What about farrul, for example? For bossing keeping charges all the time should be nice, also some flat def stats and good hp. Also i was thinking about using Expedition's end, seems like not that bad option, especially while mapping with that freeze.
"
knehtq wrote:
Is tinkerskin really that good as a body armour for this build? I never really used it on any trapper build, there always were other strong options giving more dps or other things. What about farrul, for example? For bossing keeping charges all the time should be nice, also some flat def stats and good hp. Also i was thinking about using Expedition's end, seems like not that bad option, especially while mapping with that freeze.

tinkerskin to support the crazy trap throwing speed with life gain on trap triger ?
Your strength is the law !!

MadG poe on youtube for mellee content
"
knehtq wrote:

We dont use tinkerskin for the damage, its for the recovery

Tinkerskin has significantly more evasion rating and nearly 100 more energy shield than expedition's end. While freezing things while mapping can certainly be helpful, so can the recovery tinkerskin gives. My character in standard throws traps more than 6.5 times a second, throwing an average of 1.6 traps each time, and each trap having a 35% chance to trigger twice. This leads to as many as 14 trap triggers PER SECOND, with 100 life and 50 energy shield recovered each time. 1,400 life recovery and 700 energy shield recovery per second can be hard to make up for, especially when all those traps cost life in the first place. With the mastery granting 30 life on trap trigger, the traps cost about as much as they recover without a tinkerskin.

The phasing that tinkerskin grants cannot be understated.

As far as damage is concerned, we can compare tinkerskin to other chests.

Unique Body Armours:
Spoiler

Farrul's fur does give permanent charges (provided you extend their duration long enough) and free aspect of the cat. Considering we'd have to use the charge duration mastery either way, and its SUPER easy to generate the charges, and they last 20 seconds, there is no difficulty sustaining the charges (again, provided you have the charge duration mastery). The only real bonus farrul's fur would give us is free aspect of the cat. The most notable parts of aspect of the cat are 100% crit chance, and 15% damage avoidance, alternating every 6 seconds. Sacrificing tinkerskin for those, while having to craft aspect of the cat onto one of our items taking a valuable suffix, is not really worth it for this build.

Lioneye's vision supports gems with lvl 15 pierce support (14% more damage, and pierces 3 enemies), which also frees up the helmet enchantment. The problem with this body armour is it has no energy shield, and is a pure dexterity base meaning getting 4 blue gems can be relatively difficult.

Kintsugi is great for evasion based builds, reducing damage taken by 35% if you havent been hit recently, but is a pure dex base and has no modifiers to damage or life or energy shield, and again doesn't give any recovery like tinkerskin.

Belly of the beast gives more life than any other chest (ignoring kaom's heart which has no sockets), and a decent amount of evasion rating. Being a hybrid str/dex base its even harder to get blue sockets than on the lioneye's or kintsugi, and the chest doesn't give any damage.

Doryani's Prototype would be the highest theoretical dps chest possible, however would require significant investment into armour which is literally the farthest part of the tree from us. The downsides of this chest are too much to make up for in a build that needs so many things near shadow, and has no access to armour scaling in the tree.

Inpulsa's gives us explode on killing a shocked enemy (we'd need shock proliferation of some kind), but provided you have 3 pierce, this builds doesn't really need any help with clear.

The restless ward gives increased charge duration, and 4% movement speed per frenzy charge (~40% movement speed depending on investment). This would open up the charge mastery to take 3% increased damage per charge (roughly 69% increased damage, at 10 max power charges and 3 endurance charges) The chest has a fair bit more energy shield than tinkerskin, and wouldn't at all be difficult to color. I have seen people use this chest with charge stacking traps, though I personally dont recommend it. The replica version gives 6% movement speed instead of 4% but doesn't have any charge duration.

Last but not least, skin of the lords gives +2 to socketed gems, and a random keystone. The +2 socketed gems is a decent amount of damage, and the 100% global defences can make up for the energy shield and evasion we would lose from tinkerskin. The problem is you'd have to find one with the right colors (It CANNOT be recolored), and with a keystone that at the very least, doesnt come with a massive downside (such as Chaos Innoculation, which lowers our health to 1) This body armour comes corrupted however, so its impossible to get more than just the +2 socketed.

Rare Influenced Chest Modifiers of Note:
Spoiler

We can get a Shaper's/Warlord's prefix modifier that gives +1 level to socketed active skill gems. This isn't even as good as +1 socketed gem corruption which applies to support gems as well, or the +2 proj/trap gem corruptions.

Shaper's/Hunter's suffix critical strike chance for spells is certainly nice and is considered one of the highest dps modifiers available to body armours, however its not that hard to cap crit chance without the modifier, so the damage it grants is less significant than for a build that doesn't stack power charges.

Power/Frenzy charge on hit modifiers are irrelevant, as we have no difficulty generating charges.

Hunter's +1 curse prefix is significant, however we can invest 3-4 passives to pick up Whisper's of doom, so this modifier alone isn't enough to warrant dropping tinkerskin. Even if you are using a third curse you'd have to figure out a way to apply it without sacrificing exposure.

The biggest problem with rare body armours is that body armours that have good damage modifiers tend to be expensive and difficult to craft, so are very rarely corrupted. Rare body armours with +4 socketed gems, and any relivant damage modifiers, don't really exist. Its not too hard/expensive to buy a +2 socketed gem tinkerskin. Considering that many people corrupt 6link tinkerskins, its relatively realistic to purchase +4 socketed gem tinkerskins which will outperform any influenced rare chest for this build.

This is why I consider tinkerskin to be BiS

Edit: This is also an option for chilling/shatter/reducing damage taken.
Last edited by Ekule731 on Aug 24, 2022, 9:50:03 PM
Thank you for such detailed answer, i think you could add this in guide under spoiler for same possible future questions. Also you can mention +4 skin of the loyal for damage options, i guess.
"
knehtq wrote:
Thank you for such detailed answer, i think you could add this in guide under spoiler for same possible future questions. Also you can mention +4 skin of the loyal for damage options, i guess.

Skin of the loyal always comes corrupted, and never with implicits. Its litterally impossible to get more than the +2
May i ask the question ,why steelskin over Immortal Call? PoB tells me, IC gives me more defense (max hits taken) compared to Steelskin.

Oh and what are the best Exarch/EoW implicits for Helm and boots?
Last edited by Naw4k on Aug 25, 2022, 12:17:38 PM
"
Ekule731 wrote:
"
knehtq wrote:

Skin of the loyal always comes corrupted, and never with implicits. Its litterally impossible to get more than the +2

i guess you meant skin of the lords, yes, it comes corrupted already with +2 and notable, but there is also skin of the loyal with +1 non-corrupted, and you can get +4 in implicit for total +5

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info