[3.21+] Cold Reap Occultist | Crunch Supreme ❄️

This is a guide meant for the people looking to play a second build, as this does not contain a strict leveling section. However, I will provide resources to help level an Occy.

Version History: Last updated 30.06.2023
Spoiler

- Added gear, jewels, gems and notes;
- Compiled budget and aspirational POBs;
- Cleaned up hyperlinks and created playlists;
- Working on de-clutter and notes;
- Updated Map showcase video;
- Added Maven video to End-Game-Bosses playlist (I am terrible at Maven);
- Added personal gear below budget gear;
- Added crafting section for end-game gear (currently wand/gloves);
- Combined aspirational POB with my personal POB;
- Updated personal gear section, removed budget gear section (it was bugging out the post);
- Updated guide format to reflect changes made;
- Added Breachlord Invite to Maven playlist and a video for +2 wand crafting process in End Game Gear section;
- Added the last 3.17 video, which is an updated map showcase /w aspirational gear in Cemetery.
NEW CHANGES FOR 3.21+
- Refurbished the budgeted and aspirational POBs to include tree, gem, item and skill changes.
- Updated the guide with new information.

What is Reap and why should you play it?

Reap is a skill that costs Life and swipes a scythe across an area. It gains Blood Charges when an enemy doesn't die and each charge increases the Life cost and damage of Reap. Utilizing support gems such as Unleash, Spell Cascade, Spell Echo and Intensify (the latter 3 being the main actors in the build) it can cover a large area, with each combination of the mentioned gems providing a change in playstyle to suit each individual.
It's an incredibly fun skill visually and in use. Do be aware that if you play the Unleash version you should boss having at least 1 Seal active at all times!

PROS/CONS

+ Budgeted version is semi-stun, chill/freeze/shock immune. Aspirational is ailment immune.
+ Clear speed is decent, but strengths lie in bossing.
+ Enough defense to ignore most non-Uber end-game bosses and semi-juiced map content.
+ Fairly tanky due to Aegis Aurora and Armour scaling.
+ Max Attack & Spell block /w Glancing Blows.
+ Flasks live their own life.
+ Aspirational has 85% max Elemental resistances with capped Chaos res.
+ No gem swaps

- Not a starter and wouldn't recommend it for HC.
- Requires a fair bit of cast speed to feel good for boss fights.
- Reap has a dead zone on the hilt of the scythe, hitting with that nets next to no damage.
- Isn't quick in terms of movement speed before some investment.
- Due to Glancing Blows, some miscellaneous spells can one-shot.
- Can have trouble with damage over time.

Link to Budgeted POB:
https://pobb.in/L7tyHNInN9kk - Last updated 30.06.2023

Link to Aspirational POB:
https://pobb.in/wFAE9uu_a8t0 - Last updated 30.06.2023

3.17 VIDEOS:
Build power varies from video to video due to upgrades and new techniques being implemented into the build. I hope to level them out as time goes on.

Goofing around: https://bit.ly/Goofing-with-Aegis
Juiced Cemetery showcase (aspirational gear included): https://bit.ly/Juiced-Cemetery-Showcase
Juiced Strand showcase: https://bit.ly/Juiced-Strand-Showcase
Maven Invitations playlist: https://bit.ly/Maven-invitations
End Game Bosses playlist: https://bit.ly/End-game-bosses
Elderslayer playlist: https://bit.ly/Elderslayers
Shaper Guardian playlist: bit.ly/Shaper-guardians

PERSONAL GEAR FROM 3.17 [VISUAL ONLY THESE DAYS]:

IMPORTANT NOTES
Spoiler

Anointment and Enchants
Spoiler
-We want to Anoint Infused and have the +1 Blood Charge Enchant on our helmet; (The Aspirational move is to Anoint Whispers of Doom, which allows you to drop Unholy Authority in favor of Profane Bloom, it's maybe a 2% DPS loss).
-For boots the options include 16% increased Attack and Cast Speed if you've killed recently | Damage Penetrates 10% of Enemy Elemental Resistances if you've not killed recently | Regenerate 2% of Life if hit recently;
-For gloves Commandment of Reflection is amazing because it creates a copy of you when hit and takes heat away from you during a pack pile-up.

Ascendancy
Spoiler
As for Ascendancy order - Void Beacon, Frigid Wake, Forbidden Power and Malediction. If you're able to afford Forbidden Flesh / Flame, options include Heart of Destruction, Bastion of Elements, Shaper of Winter, Commander of Darkness.

Needed Gear
Spoiler
Skin of the Lords is hard to beat, even with a Frenzy/Spellcrit/+1 curse chest piece. It helps us level all our Awakened Gems and Reap, as well as giving us a helping of Armour and Energy Shield. Here we're looking for 4B2R and Glancing Blows as keystone (The builds no longer utilize Divine Shield as there's a Mastery for the same effect).

If there are no Glancing Blows appropriate colors for this chest piece (you'll have to spend 1-2 points to allocate it yourself), look for ones with a different keystone that does not impact the build, for example, Doomsday | Arrow Dancing | Point Blank etc. You are only missing out on 1-2 passive points, which isn't an issue.

[KEEP IN MIND ALL GEMS MUST BE CORRUPTED TO SOCKET INTO THE CHEST PIECE]

Eternal Struggle is a great alternative for Ashes after it became a chase Unique. Provides us with a bunch of Attributes, a healthy choosing of Implicits to suit our needs and free Culling Strike (if Exarch is dominant).

Ashes of the Stars is incredibly strong, providing us with +1 to All Active Skills, 20% generic Reservation Efficiency and the best of all - up to 30% additional Gem Quality to All Active Skills. With Ashes this build utilizes a dozen Alternate Qualities.

Void Battery is a great starter choice because we're stacking Power Charges and it grants us Cast Speed and Spell Damage per Charge.

Aegis Aurora helps us with increasing our maximum Cold Resistance (that then builds into increasing our maximum Elemental Resistances). Instantly gives us back nearly 70% of our Energy Shield pool on Block.

As for rares, we want:
- A Curse on Hit ring, be it Frostbite or Ele Weakness;
- An Onslaught on Hit synthesised ring is an incredible investment.
- Your gloves should have 25% Physical Converted to Cold (if you're able to snag one of those 60% Conversion gloves, you can get a different Watcher's Eye). Should also try to get Unnerve and Cold Exposure on those;
- Budgeted variant utilizes Mana Reservation Efficiency on the helmet, 2nd implicit is up to you;
- The rest of your rare gear should help cap Resistances, give Life and Energy Shield. Boots benefit from Onslaught and/or Elusive.

Clusters and other Jewels
Spoiler
On the Militant Faith we're mostly looking for Area damage OR Elemental damage, Aura Effect, All Elemental Resistances (But you can take whatever you need, it's flexible). The modifiers with Devotion are static, you can Divine the Jewel for Dominus after.

As for the Watcher's Eye, for budgeted variant Core Mod is Additional Base Crit, any Determination/Hatred/Vitality mod alongside it works (I personally would go for Life Recovery Rate from Vitality). Aspirational goes for Cold Penetration /w any Mod of your liking.

All Large Clusters should be 8 passives, the Spell Damage large uses all 3 Notables, while the Cold Large uses just two (before purchasing the Cluster, import it in POB to check if the unused Notable goes at the back of the Cluster, otherwise do not purchase it). If you can't afford a Tri-Notable one, get one with just Blast-Freeze and Doryani's Lesson - this means you will lack 2 pts but it's not a major issue.
We use two Crit Chance Mediums to help cap Crit.
The Small Armor Cluster guarantees we're almost always on 3 Endurance charges with Enduring Composure.

CRAFTING END-GAME GEAR:
Spoiler
Wand
- Buy a T2/T1 Spell Damage fractured wand base;
- Use a 4 socket resonator with Shuddering, Corroded, Jagged and Metallic to hit +1 All (keep an open Prefix and Scour off Suffixes)
- Bench 3 Crafted Mods, Cannot Roll Attack mods, Prefixes Cannot be Changed and buy an Augment/Remove Physical (this gets us +1 Phys)
- Block prefixes with bench craft and harvest reforge Caster more likely for Spell Crit or Crit Multi (you will likely repeat this process multiple times)
- Block prefixes again, and Aisling slam (before unveiling bench any of the dot multi crafts)
- Unveil either Double Damage, Cast Speed or Critical Strike Multi
- Bench either Cast Speed or Multi (Depending on if you got Crit Multi in an earlier step).

Gloves
- Buy a base with Cold res/Damage to Chilled Temple mod and double T3+ resistances
- Influence them so you can add and remove mods in prefixes with Eldritch Exalt/Annul
- Get flat Life and hybrid Life
- Bench craft 25% Physical to Cold Conversion
- Use Grand or Greater Ichor for Cold Conversion and use Orbs of Conflict until you have 35% Physical to Cold (Or unveil Phys to Cold Conversion and get 25% as an Implicit)
- Use Greater or Grand Embers for Unnerve

GEM LINKS:

ASPIRATIONAL LINKS

Spoiler
6-Link Vaal Reap - Awakened Spell Cascade - Awakened Spell Echo - Intensify - Empower - Increased Critical Damage

4-Link Shield Charge - Faster Attacks -Power Charge On Critical - Life Gain on Hit

4-Link Zealotry - Determination - Purity of Ice - Enlighten

4-Link Hatred - Divine Blessing - Inspiration - Increased Duration

3-Link Defiance Banner - Tempest Shield - Assassin's Mark

3-Link Vortex - Bonechill - Unbound Ailments

BUDGETED LINKS
Spoiler
6-Link Vaal Reap - Awakened Spell Cascade - Empower - Spell Echo - Intensify - Increased Critical Damage

4-Link Zealotry - Determination - Herald of Purity - Enlighten

4-Link Molten Shell - Arrogance - Vitality - Assassin's Mark

4-Link Hatred - Anomalous Increased Duration - Anomalous Divine Blessing - Inspiration

You'll need to get the 25% reduced Mana Cost craft on one of your flasks to make Hatred have around a 55 cost, it's 0 if you get Divergent Inspiration.

3-Link Defiance Banner - Flame Dash - Arcane Surge

3-Link Vortex - Bonechill - Unbound Ailments

FLASKS:

Option A - Granite, Diamond, Quicksilver, Divine Life Flask and Taste of Hate. (All magic flasks want charges on hit with Cast Speed, Armour and Critical Strike Chance [reduced Mana Cost craft if you want to use a Blessing setup]). Life flask mainly is there for removing Bleed.)

Option B is for Mageblood - Diamond, Granite, Quicksilver, Bismuth, Taste of Hate (All magic flasks with maximum increased effect and Avoid Shock (for Stormshroud), Armour, Cast Speed, crafted reduced Mana Cost). There's no longer a need for a life flask because if you can't survive with so much mitigation you're not living anyway.

MASTERIES:

These are spread across both versions of the build!
Reservation - Auras from your Skills have 10% increased Effect on you
Armour and Energy - Recover 5% of Energy Shield over 1 second when you take Physical Damage from an Enemy Hit
Cold - 40% of Physical Damage Converted to Cold
Life - 15% increased maximum Life if there are no Life Modifiers on Equipped Body Armour
Shield - +1% Chance to Block Attack Damage per 5% Chance to Block on Equipped Shield
Mana - 12% increased Mana Reservation Efficiency of Skills
Charge - 100% increased Charge Duration
Critical - +25% to Critical Strike Multiplier against Unique Enemies
Caster - Spells which can gain Intensity have +1 to maximum Intensity

BANDITS / PANTHEON:

Kill all Bandits.

Upper Pantheon - Brine King, Solaris.
Lower Pantheon - Abberath, Tukohama, Shakari, Ryslatha.

Resources for Leveling an Occy:

Zizaran's video on Shakcentral's Cold DOT Occy https://bit.ly/Shakcentral-Cold-DOT

Subtractem's video on a Bane/ED Occy that's also a great option if you want to fizzle with something else while leveling, it's also what I have personally used as a starter for a few leagues. https://bit.ly/Subtractem-Bane
Last edited by DexBunny on Jun 30, 2023, 9:40:12 AM
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2022, 10:41:39 AM
Guide is currently under construction.

To do list:
- Add more videos
- Add gems and gear
- Add notes
- Flesh out concepts
- Compile two POBs (one for budget, one for aspirational upgrades)
- Add gear options

Things I'm occupied with:
- Crafting gear
- Figuring out better forms of defence
- Reducing clunkiness in the build
- More crunch
Last edited by DexBunny on Mar 20, 2022, 7:31:19 AM
pog
Going to try this build once I get enough exalts for the body armour!
Last edited by WhaleRum on Feb 23, 2022, 12:20:47 AM
Hi, I was curious if there were any updates and how you were finding it?

I leveled an occultist this weekend, feels a little underpowered at the moment doing alched T16s, but still only 81 and missing the medium cluster jewels and timeless jewel - hoping all that and some better optimized items will get me there.

Surprisingly not as squishy as I would have thought, with decent phy dmg reduction and 75/75 block (glancing) it feels nice.

I've done some physical assassin reaps and this feels way better so far. Thanks!

I've made some leaps in gear and have comfortably been doing juiced content. End-game bosses are a complete joke outside Uber Elder and Maven (I've not fought them enough to make it a childrens playground like Sirus, the damage is there I'm simply mechanically braindead).

Thus far defensively my only concerns are one-shot prevention and some of my ideas have been implemented in the aspirational POB that goes Melding of the Flesh for 80% ele res cap.

The core concept doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility in terms of increasing Area of Effect radius to at least 35 to get another overlap, I'm pretty much juggling between 30 and 32.

As for feeling underpowered in T16s, you're missing the chest piece and therefore another 2 levels for Reap. It scales incredibly well with gem levels. (I still have my old one that's 4B1R1G with Divine Shield, can @TakaneLuiBodyPillow in game if you're interested in taking it off my hands for like 80c). Gem levels in your main link and quality also play a part. Keep in mind the map showcase video used all the items found in the Budget Gear section.
Yeah was looking, your gear is pretty sweet. I've been lazy and stuck with hrimsorrow, working on getting the 60% conversion on some ok gloves, how painful was rolling that 35% ichor?

Have a nice watchers with a non-conversion hatred mod, but maybe I'll just get a conversion one for now so I can swap out the gloves.

Realize my body armor is the same thing I hit with an alch while in acts and just left cause I was gonna replace with a lords. I'll definitely take you up on that lords, still leveling an empower.

Currently level 93 and can definitely make some upgrades (still need to buy a level 3 enlighten and switch to the empower setup) but everything is a breeze so far. My single target is still not where I think it could be but I can do most bosses deathless. Loving the build and it's super satisfying with all the shatters. Not really sure what else I can upgrade aside from the things I mentioned before.

Anyways, thanks for the build!
"
settonull99 wrote:
Yeah was looking, your gear is pretty sweet. I've been lazy and stuck with hrimsorrow, working on getting the 60% conversion on some ok gloves, how painful was rolling that 35% ichor?

Have a nice watchers with a non-conversion hatred mod, but maybe I'll just get a conversion one for now so I can swap out the gloves.

Realize my body armor is the same thing I hit with an alch while in acts and just left cause I was gonna replace with a lords. I'll definitely take you up on that lords, still leveling an empower.

I got it to 35% within 8 Orbs of Conflict. Everyone after me is getting the cheapest and most deterministic way of creating items in the end game gear crafting section of the guide. Because I spent nearly 80ex on my gloves because I was trying to do them in a different way, only to find that the implicit conversion blocks the unveiled conversion.

I figured I was on a massive dry streak, but I was never gonna hit the mod to begin with :D. The gloves can be made with around 20ex.
I'm all for people taking the guide more as a guideline than anything. Experiment with it, find what you want the build to do and strive to achieve that. My last leagues EOW Occy was improved by someone this league and they made it into an absolute monstrosity both offensively and defensively.

My job is to only throw some puzzle pieces on the table and have people assemble them the way they think they should be assembled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info