Effects Feedback Thread (Spells ,Waterfalls ,Falling leaves ect.)

I always hated weapon trails and overly flashy effects. PoE currently has a grittier, less flashy appearance than so many other games built to entertain with shiny sparkles and other lame effects. Please whatever you do don't turn this game into a disco.

Edit:
"I love bad weather" ~ Russel

That's a great sign and I hope the effects you implement will always lean towards a realistic, sinister mood.

So far I really love the game's aesthetic which is why I get a bit worried reading about weapon trails and arrow effects. I've never found weapon trails realistic and almost every game does them these days, worse yet they overstate them. If you must use them please be very subtle.

Certainly arrow effects make sense but ought to look far more subtle than mage skills. A poison arrow for example doesn't leave a dripping green contrail behind it. No, it looks like any other arrow. Burning arrows of course are more noticeable but in real life even they diminish in brightness when set in flight. It's not until impact that the flame flares up. Again, subtlety is key.

From your work so far you're clearly not the kind of effects artist that ruins so many other games so I have confidence you're the right person for the job. Please keep up the great work.
Last edited by BlastMonkey on Feb 7, 2012, 1:20:02 AM
__Z__

I dont really like the frenzy orb to much either. However on your comments on making them red I cannot do that. Frenzy charges are the dex charge so they have to be green to represent dex. However if you can think up a cool idea of what the dex orb could look like while keeping it green I would be happy to change it. Its the orb I cringe at whenever I see it but no one has had a better idea yet.
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
"
Russell wrote:

__Z__

I dont really like the frenzy orb to much either. However on your comments on making them red I cannot do that. Frenzy charges are the dex charge so they have to be green to represent dex. However if you can think up a cool idea of what the dex orb could look like while keeping it green I would be happy to change it. Its the orb I cringe at whenever I see it but no one has had a better idea yet.

What if you use a different visualization than orb all together. the color of the orbs I understand being attached to the stat and the orbs are easy to track the number of charges you have.
But when having more than one type of charge or just a increased number of charges all together I rely on looking at the buff thumbnail with the number on it.
As of what should the visualizations be I think that the endurance charges should look like a rock swirling around the character with a small red tail like a comet.
Frenzy charges could be a tornado like wind with debris of green leafs and power charges be like a blueish lightning of sorts, that I can't at the moment
think of how that would look but hey I think you get the idea. As I said earlier tracking is as simple as looking at the buff thumbnail and reading the number
but I can see how that maybe more difficult than actually seeing the character and the number of balls swirling sure. So maybe there can be a change on that buff indicator, how it looks and its location. I can think that with the ideas that I gave for the new visualizations that they can just grow in effect. Like
more rocks, larger wind and more debris and more lightning.
"
Russell wrote:

__Z__

Snakes for frenzy charges?

Bullhead or even blood drop for endurance and keep orbs for power charges.
Last edited by Stormscion on Feb 7, 2012, 7:29:22 PM
hmmm ... HHHHMMMMMMM im going to think about your comments.
y im slept?
may be a simple pulsating edged green star will do it very well for the dex orb.

bright, pulsating and edged to show an idea that instantly link it to a quickness action.

actualy, as I said, the green of the orb is too dark and gloomy, which seem doesen't directly visualy link it to dex (or link it to the poisonous side of dex).
same is for it's round organic look.

may be the star could turn around the character quickly than the other orbs, or even could accelerate it's course when the character is effectively in fight...

and for felinemagic : i think that there is already a lot visual info when you're in full fight and I think that the important thing here is that you can spot instantaneously the state of your orbs. less visualy graphics and more symbolic seem's better in this way.
... nothing
You could differentiate with shape as well as color, as ___Z___ suggests, though maybe without making them totally different from each other.

My first thought is to pull inspiration from the Platonic solids, with red cubes (the most stable structures) for Endurance, blue tetrahedrons (they're the pointiest!) for Power, and green octahedrons (historically associated with air, swiftness, etc.) for Frenzy.
------
"And 'Do what thou willst' shall be the whole of the law." -- Aleister Crowley
"First, love; then, do what thou willst." -- St. Augustine
"Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
"
__Z__ wrote:
and for felinemagic : i think that there is already a lot visual info when you're in full fight and I think that the important thing here is that you can spot instantaneously the state of your orbs. less visualy graphics and more symbolic seem's better in this way.

No no I agree, what I was trying to say that if there is going to be a graphical representation of charges make them what I suggested or a variance of. I just meant ultimately change the UI indicator of the buff and the number of stacks on it. I don't have a brainstorming chalk board out atm lol but skies the the limit, you could have colored spheres underneath the characters feet or larger spheres go up or down the left or right pane of the screen.
Alright im gonna look into changing the frenzy charge : ) Man why do you guys post now that I actually have a lot of work to do xD. Why not post a few months ago!:<

I think we can do bad ass as orbs as a micro transaction. So like tornado's meteors and skulls going round you for example.
y im slept?
"
Russell wrote:
I think we can do bad ass as orbs as a micro transaction. So like tornado's meteors and skulls going round you for example.

If your going to do that, then try to do something like this. Try even to have them randomly change the spinning location from the image to have the blue to take the coarse of the green etc.
Last edited by felinemagic on Feb 8, 2012, 4:45:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info