[3.17] League Starter | Self-Cast Ice Nova on Frostbolt | Inquisitor

If you would give this build a certain SDPS, what would it be? I always think that this setup gives so little dmg in POB while in game it shreds enemies/bosses.

I used to play this setup with a Guardian back in 3.9 and that was strong as hell.. It had so much defense and had great offense. I used Pledge of Hands for greater spell echo combined with regular echo it was much dps.
"
Genji084 wrote:
If you would give this build a certain SDPS, what would it be? I always think that this setup gives so little dmg in POB while in game it shreds enemies/bosses.

I used to play this setup with a Guardian back in 3.9 and that was strong as hell.. It had so much defense and had great offense. I used Pledge of Hands for greater spell echo combined with regular echo it was much dps.

Yes I played the pledge version on assassin once, a long time ago, and it went really hard. But since then, enemies got a bit tougher and I like to balance defense/offense early on or you could hit a wall going into red maps getting one-hit too often.

Given the build is focused on league start, i won't worry about the dps number too much and I don't have any idea if I will take this min-max.
That said, we can expect double the dps than the PoB shows with no expensive gear, esp. with the new implicit crafting orbs going for flat spell dmg.

edit: oh, and later on, you can always change to staff if you want, you'd have to respec just a little and need some other sources of block chance, or play with less survivability
Last edited by sham_pain on Feb 1, 2022, 3:26:34 PM
how is the spell defense? it seems like it has decent phys reduction, but with no spell suppression, is it just relying on spell block for a 35% dr? Also is there no CWDT setup or guard skill? Sorry for all the questions, I would like to league start something similar, but have had survivability issues on ice nova characters in the past.
"
twisteddz wrote:
how is the spell defense? it seems like it has decent phys reduction, but with no spell suppression, is it just relying on spell block for a 35% dr? Also is there no CWDT setup or guard skill? Sorry for all the questions, I would like to league start something similar, but have had survivability issues on ice nova characters in the past.

No worries, your questions are welcome.

Spell suppression is hard to come by as Templar, because all the tree nodes are on the other side. You can always try to roll some on your gear, but I decided not to mention it, because it needs more investment. That's why I went the +max to ele res, so you have 79/78/78 max res, coupled with high HP pool and some ES should keep you alive long enough, even after taking high spell dmg, to get out of danger and heal up.

Since CWDT was changed to cost a lot of mana when a skill triggers, I don't like it (edit: you can link lifetap to it and make it work, instead of cold snap maybe). I originally had Molten Shell in the build but with the new Divine Blessing gem, I want to see how that one works. Feel free to try things our your way!

You should take the Pious Path ascendancy first if you have trouble surviving and always make sure your ele res is capped, at the latest when you start maps. Inquisitor is quite tankier with budget gear compared to witch or shadow.
Last edited by sham_pain on Feb 2, 2022, 4:41:58 PM
Hello, I'm delighted to see another friendly self-caster of Ice Nova/Frostbolt!

I'm trying to make a build aswell but as Occultist. This is the first build I try to make on my own even though I've been playing for years! What a challenge haha.

What do you think of the occultist variant? I feel like it should scale better with currency but I'm inexperienced. On PoB I went the power charge route thinking about getting at least one void battery late game with a respec to low-life.

I'm toying around a life version at the moment (league start after all).

Right now, I copied your gear, because I tried as a witch I have more ES but less HP, the damage is a little bit lower with same gear.

My idea behind Occultist and even Assassin before was to focus on power charges.

I got some ideas from you and this guy from poe.ninja who can be seen at 2 million dps but extremely geared here

What do you think?
Last edited by SuddenOcade on Feb 2, 2022, 10:34:08 PM
I think I'll inspire myself on this, but I really wanted to use fanaticism. :(
I was thinking about slinging the frostbolt to activate fanaticism and then selfcasting the ice nova.
Also thought about using the energy blade at some point if I find some good gear.
Not sure if this works tho
looks realy good.

still not sure if the hierophant isnt a better ascendancy.
muuuuch more ae and the mom stuff could be a nice ehp tool
Spoiler
"
SuddenOcade wrote:
Hello, I'm delighted to see another friendly self-caster of Ice Nova/Frostbolt!

I'm trying to make a build aswell but as Occultist. This is the first build I try to make on my own even though I've been playing for years! What a challenge haha.

What do you think of the occultist variant? I feel like it should scale better with currency but I'm inexperienced. On PoB I went the power charge route thinking about getting at least one void battery late game with a respec to low-life.

I'm toying around a life version at the moment (league start after all).

Right now, I copied your gear, because I tried as a witch I have more ES but less HP, the damage is a little bit lower with same gear.

My idea behind Occultist and even Assassin before was to focus on power charges.

I got some ideas from you and this guy from poe.ninja who can be seen at 2 million dps but extremely geared here

What do you think?

I just quickly did Occultist in PoB and I would skill like this
(edit: forgot to check enemy is boss, optimized tree) https://pastebin.com/ACYbYzcN
I couldn't really make block chance work, so I took out Tempest shield and got way more dps out of it (void battery is great here). It is a really good option if you think you don't need as much defense.
The poe ninja build you linked is very endgame and is based on low life with high ES, you would have to grind a lot before making this work (even without the ridiculous helmet).

Spoiler
"
Caetano wrote:
I think I'll inspire myself on this, but I really wanted to use fanaticism. :(
I was thinking about slinging the frostbolt to activate fanaticism and then selfcasting the ice nova.
Also thought about using the energy blade at some point if I find some good gear.
Not sure if this works tho

I have no experience on either fanaticism or spellslinger, but sounds reasonable if you can make it work. You would have to change the build a lot and cold pen/cold exposure becomes important as well as getting more crit chance on gear. I would not go without Pious Path.
Energy Blade becomes very strong in that sense, but as you said, you need some gear and really good ES to make it worth (because it gets halfed and the bonus dmg is also calculated after the 50% reduction).

Spoiler
"
rotheee wrote:
looks realy good.

still not sure if the hierophant isnt a better ascendancy.
muuuuch more ae and the mom stuff could be a nice ehp tool

Thanks! Yes, Hierophant does offer a lot, too! I just like that you don't really need anything at all on Inquisitor to max defenses and crit chance at the same time. I think there are popular Hierophant builds for the build out there!
Last edited by sham_pain on Feb 3, 2022, 1:23:34 PM
Hey, quick question, wondering why you didn't take divine shield? Seems like a pretty good defense
Last edited by thatguy14 on Feb 3, 2022, 11:44:27 AM
"
thatguy14 wrote:
Hey, quick question, wondering why you didn't take divine shield? Seems like a pretty good defense

Divine Shield is pretty nice, but it really doesn't matter too much because we already have Pious Path. In my opinion, we are really scarce on passive points, so 4 is a lot to go there.
The keystone is also way better when you prioritize ES over life (e.g. low life build going pain attunement).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info