[3.17] League Starter | Self-Cast Ice Nova on Frostbolt | Inquisitor

update:
I won't update this build as it was/is only intended to give a first starter template and not a full guide. That's why I encourage you to change the build up your own way once you are able to (e.g. go staff, go more dps once you have more defenive layers on gear, and so on).

I wasn't aware before that Glancing Blows is not really better for eHP when you don't have "on block effects" (e.g. +x life/es gained/recovered when you block), so I advise to go without it unless you need it.

PoB updated: https://pastebin.com/rYqGSZtZ

My PoB imported setup after lvl 88, first T16. Already feels giga tanky and damage seems good so far. Spent around 2 ex (mostly for 6-link).

https://pastebin.com/0eetVm6r

I made this build with the intention of not having to invest anything, but still get the most out of what you can get/craft yourself very early on. I included some basic gear and 1c unique Gloves to start off with, but they are not mandatory.

edit:
update: Divine Blessing does not work with this build, so you wanna go Molten Shell - Incr Duration instead. Keep in mind while leveling: Frostbolt needs multiple proj (pinpoint works if you don't stand still), Ice Nova needs Spell Echo. In the beginning it can feel a little slow and if you never played this combo before, may take a bit to get used to playing it most efficiently (e.g. positioning and aiming).

I included some notes in the PoB but to summarize:

very good defenses

- 72/74% Attack/Spell Block with just a normal Shield (Glancing Blows)
- very high Life & ES regen
- 100% Curse effect reduction
- high Armour / phys reduction
- high max res

- very high crit chance, so you will easily shatter weaker mobs and even freeze tankier enemies for a bit

feel free to change it to your liking as I like to play tanky builds instead of glass cannons
Last edited by sham_pain on Feb 14, 2022, 8:50:03 AM
Last bumped on Feb 14, 2022, 8:50:37 AM
Are there any new changes that will be added once the new skill tree is out? This was one of my favorite builds that I played back in Harvest and it was kinda bussin. I'm still thinking of league starters and this is one of my top choices. Do you think it will be comfortable to league start and get in to red maps?
"
KubgiN wrote:
Are there any new changes that will be added once the new skill tree is out? This was one of my favorite builds that I played back in Harvest and it was kinda bussin. I'm still thinking of league starters and this is one of my top choices. Do you think it will be comfortable to league start and get in to red maps?

Glad to hear you enjoy the build as much as I do.
Afaik, the Passive Tree stays the same in 3.17. There are only very small changes in one or two Bow passive nodes, so I will keep this tree like it is.
I also have an alternative route for more dps in the drop down menu in PoB (called "if dps>def") which you can take as a template if you feel like you don't need as much defense for your first build.

I think it will be very nice to play into red maps, the only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the projectile speed in maps without having The Frozen Trail. Gonna try how Faster Proj support on Frostbolt will look like when the time comes.
You a king for posting this. Can't wait to league-start it
Why not use intensify support instead of increased critical strikes? Isn't it just straight more DPS?
"
twisteddz wrote:
Why not use intensify support instead of increased critical strikes? Isn't it just straight more DPS?

For Bosses, Intensify might work, but to keep up the 3 stacks you would have to stand still a lot, which I don't like.
@sham_pain Do you usually use ice nova as soon as you get it at lvl 12 or switch at a highier lvl?

Btw. Thanks for sharing the build!
Build looks solid, thanks for sharing. Though I might use freezing pulse instead since I like that more than bolt.
Also would like to do this build again, loved the hiero version before 3.15 nerf hammer.

"
remirami wrote:
Build looks solid, thanks for sharing. Though I might use freezing pulse instead since I like that more than bolt.

You kinda missed the point of the build, can't cast novas remotely on freezing pulses.
"
halucyniasz wrote:
@sham_pain Do you usually use ice nova as soon as you get it at lvl 12 or switch at a highier lvl?

Btw. Thanks for sharing the build!

I haven't leveled as this build before, so I can't say for certain. I think it may be better to use freezing pulse in earlier levels or maybe even something like Creeping Frost hits pretty hard.
Level Ice Nova gem as you go and if you have your first 4-links, it's probably fine to use it form then on.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info