[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

First-time user here -- fun build, keeps me in my Champ comfort zone (20 Fortify <3) from past leagues but has let me embrace the joy that is DoT.

Out of curiosity -- given the choice between a CA-CS Maloney's and a decent +DoT w/ Attack Skills + %Attack Speed rare quiver, which would you personally go with? Played a Reave Champ with FF/FF Headsman allocated the last league I played in and obviously I love Culling Strike, but at 3.5 attacks per second I'm honestly not sure how much value I'm getting out of Maloney's 1/sec procs on most bosses...
"
Lydsignal wrote:
First-time user here -- fun build, keeps me in my Champ comfort zone (20 Fortify <3) from past leagues but has let me embrace the joy that is DoT.

Out of curiosity -- given the choice between a CA-CS Maloney's and a decent +DoT w/ Attack Skills + %Attack Speed rare quiver, which would you personally go with? Played a Reave Champ with FF/FF Headsman allocated the last league I played in and obviously I love Culling Strike, but at 3.5 attacks per second I'm honestly not sure how much value I'm getting out of Maloney's 1/sec procs on most bosses...

Thanks.

I would go with Maloney's for mapping and with a decent quiver for bossing ;)
He Fezz. What do you think about this jewel. Got it as a drop and tested because seeming ability to inflict withering with the main weapon and because it increase flask charges. Gives a bit less DPS than original but seems to give significant boost in clearing speed.

I don't know how withering buffs work in this situation, but apparently this gives them a lot.

Item Class: Jewels
Rarity: Rare
Gale Shine
Medium Cluster Jewel
--------
Requirements:
Level: 54
--------
Item Level: 82
--------
Adds 5 Passive Skills (enchant)
(Added Passive Skills are never considered to be in Radius by other Jewels) (enchant)
(All Added Passive Skills are Small unless otherwise specified) (enchant)
1 Added Passive Skill is a Jewel Socket (enchant)
Added Small Passive Skills grant: 12% increased Chaos Damage over Time (enchant)
(Passive Skills that are not Notable, Masteries, Keystones, or Jewel Sockets are Small) (enchant)
--------
{ Prefix Modifier "Notable" (Tier: 1) — Damage, Chaos }
1 Added Passive Skill is Eternal Suffering — Unscalable Value
{ Prefix Modifier "Notable" (Tier: 1) — Life, Mana, Damage }
1 Added Passive Skill is Brewed for Potency — Unscalable Value
{ Suffix Modifier "of Degeneration" (Tier: 2) — Damage }
Added Small Passive Skills also grant: 2% increased Damage over Time
{ Suffix Modifier "of the Mongoose" (Tier: 3) — Attribute }
Added Small Passive Skills also grant: +2(2-3) to Dexterity
--------
Place into an allocated Medium or Large Jewel Socket on the Passive Skill Tree. Added passives do not interact with jewel radiuses. Right click to remove from the Socket.
"
Masteropii wrote:
He Fezz. What do you think about this jewel. Got it as a drop and tested because seeming ability to inflict withering with the main weapon and because it increase flask charges. Gives a bit less DPS than original but seems to give significant boost in clearing speed.

I don't know how withering buffs work in this situation, but apparently this gives them a lot.

Item Class: Jewels
Rarity: Rare
Gale Shine
Medium Cluster Jewel
--------
Requirements:
Level: 54
--------
Item Level: 82
--------
Adds 5 Passive Skills (enchant)
(Added Passive Skills are never considered to be in Radius by other Jewels) (enchant)
(All Added Passive Skills are Small unless otherwise specified) (enchant)
1 Added Passive Skill is a Jewel Socket (enchant)
Added Small Passive Skills grant: 12% increased Chaos Damage over Time (enchant)
(Passive Skills that are not Notable, Masteries, Keystones, or Jewel Sockets are Small) (enchant)
--------
{ Prefix Modifier "Notable" (Tier: 1) — Damage, Chaos }
1 Added Passive Skill is Eternal Suffering — Unscalable Value
{ Prefix Modifier "Notable" (Tier: 1) — Life, Mana, Damage }
1 Added Passive Skill is Brewed for Potency — Unscalable Value
{ Suffix Modifier "of Degeneration" (Tier: 2) — Damage }
Added Small Passive Skills also grant: 2% increased Damage over Time
{ Suffix Modifier "of the Mongoose" (Tier: 3) — Attribute }
Added Small Passive Skills also grant: +2(2-3) to Dexterity
--------
Place into an allocated Medium or Large Jewel Socket on the Passive Skill Tree. Added passives do not interact with jewel radiuses. Right click to remove from the Socket.

If you can't afford the ones that are recommended in the guide, you can use it, but the ones recommended are better.
Last edited by fezz8386 on Jan 22, 2024, 3:07:46 AM
I have used those, which are recommended in build. By testing this, it feels more powerfull, and I thought it would be because ability to inflict withered without using secondary weapon, which is not very convenient during normal mapping.

My setup is getting close to your example end-game setup. I'm still lacking some life and, since it seems that in this league, everything with life in it costs arm and dick.

I have two viridian jewels with life on them, with one of them is good and other is lacking DPS. I bought the good one with 5 divs, but since then, they have cost 20-40 divs. I could buy one more, but I don't think if it's best buy right now.

I'm leveling empower support gem, and to bet best of that, I'd need a bow with +2 level for suport gems. I have been keeping eye on good one, and I need a currency to buy one if it'd available.
"
Masteropii wrote:
I have used those, which are recommended in build. By testing this, it feels more powerfull, and I thought it would be because ability to inflict withered without using secondary weapon, which is not very convenient during normal mapping.

If it feels better to play with it, play with it ;)

"
Masteropii wrote:
My setup is getting close to your example end-game setup. I'm still lacking some life and, since it seems that in this league, everything with life in it costs arm and dick.
That's the case in any league, to be honest. ;)
Last edited by fezz8386 on Jan 22, 2024, 10:49:22 AM
Hi Fezz!

First of all, thanks for the great guide, I am an absolute beginner in PoE and for the most part I'm having no trouble following it :)

However, I am a bit confused about something and have been going through your Q&A but can't find an answer so I decided to post it here.

I am at the stage where I switched my early build for the toxic rain build and can't understand what is the "main skill set up" and "secondary skill set up". I have both those set up as you detailed in the "Act 3" chapter of your guide, but so far have been using always the main skill set up with the mirage archer and the other supports. What is the point / how and when do I use the secondary skill set up? Should I assign it to another button? If so, what is the objective of it?

Thanks a lot in advance!
"
Hi Fezz!

First of all, thanks for the great guide, I am an absolute beginner in PoE and for the most part I'm having no trouble following it :)

However, I am a bit confused about something and have been going through your Q&A but can't find an answer so I decided to post it here.

I am at the stage where I switched my early build for the toxic rain build and can't understand what is the "main skill set up" and "secondary skill set up". I have both those set up as you detailed in the "Act 3" chapter of your guide, but so far have been using always the main skill set up with the mirage archer and the other supports. What is the point / how and when do I use the secondary skill set up? Should I assign it to another button? If so, what is the objective of it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hey there, thanks.

Your MAIN SKILL is self-cast Toxic Rain - you're pretty much supposed to spam this. Your SECONDARY SKILL is Toxic Rain in combination with a Ballista Totem Support which makes the totem use Toxic Rain (instead of you).

These are two different buttons, yes.

For the most part, your main skill will do enough damage to kill most of the enemies, but if you encounter strong enemies, such as bosses, you can additionally (!) place totems to deal even more damage. When doing this, the totem does not only deal damage itself, but it also debuffs the enemy which allows your main skill to do more damage as well.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by fezz8386 on Jan 24, 2024, 2:54:53 PM
Ohhh that makes a lot of sense now! The build has been so powerful until now that I haven't felt the need to use both at the same time so that's probably why I didn't even think of trying it :) thanks a lot for the answer!

Another question I forgot to ask in the first post. In the passive skill tree you have a note at the bottom that reads "Recommended Large Jewel Socket for when Cluster Jewels are available". I have absolutely no idea what any of this means haha. So far I've been filling out the skill tree following your numbers, is this supposed to have come into play already? I'm level 39 if that makes a difference.

Thanks once again!
Last edited by DainnBeastslayer on Jan 24, 2024, 3:58:56 PM
"
Ohhh that makes a lot of sense now! The build has been so powerful until now that I haven't felt the need to use both at the same time so that's probably why I didn't even think of trying it :) thanks a lot for the answer!

Another question I forgot to ask in the first post. In the passive skill tree you have a note at the bottom that reads "Recommended Large Jewel Socket for when Cluster Jewels are available". I have absolutely no idea what any of this means haha. So far I've been filling out the skill tree following your numbers, is this supposed to have come into play already? I'm level 39 if that makes a difference.

Thanks once again!

Cluster Jewels become relevant in the endgame. The guide will introduce you to them when it's time to do so. For now, you can ignore this ;)
Last edited by fezz8386 on Jan 24, 2024, 4:00:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info