[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

"
Masteropii wrote:
Thank's for the answer. That cleared aspects with AOE. I should have said it mor clearly, but I already have an armor, which have more resistanced on it. I payed around 100c from it and it is still my main choise, but I have been interested about the increased damage this new one can provide. The overall feeling is more than plain DPS numbers indicate, propably because it gives a bit more immediate damage rather than only damage over time.

Based on your comments so far, I really want to encourage you to listen less to your "overall feeling" and instead follow the build guide more closely. Most of your "feelings" are wrong (due to a lack of knowlegde and experience, which is understandable) and there are reasons why the recommended setup is as it is. Unless you have super high bugdet, the recommended setup will be better than your feeling-based-setup in like 99% of cases.

"
Masteropii wrote:
Currently I'm in a sticly stituation again, since I no longer get any income from lower tier maps. They are back to few c, and practically empty from wisps. I can be lucky if I find 1000k from tier6, when around the christmas, it was 2k-6k and 30c average worth + random higher value drops.

This ongoing trouble with making currency really makes me think that you are doing something wrong OR you are exaggerating a lot. Since you can't share your screen and show me how you play maps, how your Atlas is set-up and whatnot, here's what you should do (assuming you can complete T14 Maps):

1. Read this and set-up your Atlas accordingly
3. Run T14+ maps
3. Assign the Searing Echarch Influence to your map (via Map Device)
4. Click the Exarch Altars that spawn occasionally (pick priority = 'Eldritch Minions Gain' > Map Boss Gains / never pick 'Player Gains')
8. Don't care about dying
9. Don't do Wisps
10. Don't do Essences

A map should take you like 3 minutes or so. Run 100 maps. Then check your loot. Bulk sell your accumulated loot for Divine or Chaos Orbs. Then upgrade your gear.

"
Masteropii wrote:
For same reason, I have also sacrifcied my life in front of damage and taken passive skill points from defence to offence, according to recommended end-game setup, while my other gear may not yet to be up to the task. I once had close to 5000, when now I have around 4000. I have done and tried to done some bosses, and while they are doable, I could use more.

See above. Stick to the guide. These changes aren't as good as you "feel".

"
Masteropii wrote:
I'm indeed using only 4 sockets on my armor, because I haven't yet decided to use any currency on it. If I decide to continue with it for a while, I'll propably use few chromatic orbs to be able to use 5-sockets.

See above. Stick to the guide. With your current setup, your totems are pretty much useless.

"
Masteropii wrote:
Right now, practically only benefit from the ballista's are, they seem to attract monsters from attacking me.

Yes, because your setup is wrong. Switch Efficacy Support with Withering Touch and they become useful. Even better: Get a 6-link for 5-10c and use the full recommended setup.

"
Masteropii wrote:
I'm currently thinking should I grind tier 15 and 16 maps without wisps and try to level up my character. They seem to give me as much as juiced lower tier maps and maybe give more something with higher value. I just don't know if it makes my drop situation worse. I still can't understand why everyoone else seems to get huge drops when I get transmutation shards.

They either grind a lot OR they do the league mechanic (Wisps) in combination with magic find setups (but that's not an option for you at the moment, especially not with this build).
Last edited by fezz8386 on Jan 6, 2024, 12:10:45 PM
Thank's for your time and comments. I may try your recommended atlas tree if the situation turns bad again. Today I have had insane drops for my standard, and I have made several divines in couple of hours.

I'm not exaggrating my bad drops. I have followed my income constantly with exillence, and it's tracking basically everything valuable I have. There has been 3 significant boosts in drop count, apparently one week apart, and one started today. The difference is so significant, it can't be coincidence. I suspect some sort of penalty from something I do, but can't understand what it can be. First burst was 24.12, second 30.12 and third now, 6.1. I have played every day and completed dozens of maps.

I have followed the atlas tree from the build guide step by step. After I allocated all the defined steps, I have allocated all 1% increased Item Quantity nodes from the circular area at the middle. Next I have thought about testing Wandering Path, which is just in my reach.

I have had both Searing Exarc and Eater of the world influence enabled and I have used choices from Altars. It just seem that x% more than nothing is still close to nothing. I have had Searing Exarc and Eater of the world invitations. I did try the last one, but got my ass kicked. One guide told me to stay away from orbs, which I did, and was always killed by the energy blast. I should have watched your video about it earlier, byt it didn't hit my search. I had my another armor and 4800 life when I did it, and it had only 1:3 life left when I died my last life, so it would have been doable.

I'm following the build guide, but it's goes like this: When I have some currency to use, I try to look what purchase would bring the best punch for my money. I look the modifiers I should have and then search the trade site to see what's available on my budget. I copy the items on Path Of building and see what they give to me. I sometimes I try to adjust my skill tree slightly and see what it does. I don't do this because I think I know better, but because I try to get experience and in each time point, get the most of what I got. These experiments are very cheap and can be reversed back whenever I want or need.

Earlier today, I did use some (about 30), chromatic orbs, so I was able to use withering touch on my test armor, because I wanted to experiment it more. I may soon switch back to other one to see what impressions it bring to me.

This is the armor I have, and it was the best I had afford when I purchased it. Now I start to have some currency, so I soon make a new check. Last time I checked, there was a 10 div bow, which gave me 24% more DPS. I don't have 10 divs yet, but if my luck continues, I may have soon.

Item Class: Body Armours
Rarity: Rare
Hypnotic Carapace
Full Dragonscale
--------
Armour: 623 (augmented)
Evasion Rating: 393
--------
Requirements:
Level: 70
Str: 115
Dex: 94
Int: 48
--------
Sockets: B-G-G-R-G-R
--------
Item Level: 85
--------
8% increased Explicit Defence Modifier magnitudes (enchant)
--------
+6% to all Elemental Resistances (implicit)
+1% to maximum Fire Resistance (implicit)
--------
+128 to Armour
+147 to maximum Life
+32% to Fire Resistance
+41% to Cold Resistance
Reflects 2 Physical Damage to Melee Attackers
+8% chance to Suppress Spell Damage (crafted)
Searing Exarch Item
Eater of Worlds Item
Is using Mirage Archers instead of Faster Attacks a bad idea in the late endgame setup?
Hi Fezz, I'm sorry that I have to bother you again, but I hit a problem I can't solve and I hope you know the answer.

Today was generally a good day and I was able to scrape up 15div for a new bow. I think I was lucky, since it was significantly better than any I have seen on my reach. It sucked me dry, but soon after, I got 5divs as a brother's gift, and I was able to buy a vermillion ring with despair on it. It's not good one, but I think if I have a balls to hit it with annulment and put three crafted mods it's good enough for 2 divs, which I paid for it. Thre's 3 of 4 changes for success.

Anyway, my problem is DPS drop or maybe a bug in Path Of building. My full dps is now about 4600 with my old ring but only 3600 with the new one. They have practically same stats except despair curse. Also when I edited the Vermillion ring in path of building, and removed the curse, I got back missing 1M dps.

I'm also pretty sure I had the full DPS in a new ring right after I bought it, but then I added 20% caster mods quality on it (I thought this was the way to do it, since I didn't find any rings which would have had incresed despair effect built in). However, removing caster quality in POB, don't restore missing DPS.

I first suspected this was mana problem, but can't see incresed mana cost from the curse and adding custom mana and mana cost efficiensies don't help either.

I haven't yet tried the atlas tree you proposed, because the guide says I need four voidstones and fully revealed atlas. I don't have any voidstones yet, but I think I should have now what it takes to get at least few.
"
Masteropii wrote:
Hi Fezz, I'm sorry that I have to bother you again, but I hit a problem I can't solve and I hope you know the answer.

Today was generally a good day and I was able to scrape up 15div for a new bow. I think I was lucky, since it was significantly better than any I have seen on my reach. It sucked me dry, but soon after, I got 5divs as a brother's gift, and I was able to buy a vermillion ring with despair on it. It's not good one, but I think if I have a balls to hit it with annulment and put three crafted mods it's good enough for 2 divs, which I paid for it. Thre's 3 of 4 changes for success.

Anyway, my problem is DPS drop or maybe a bug in Path Of building. My full dps is now about 4600 with my old ring but only 3600 with the new one. They have practically same stats except despair curse. Also when I edited the Vermillion ring in path of building, and removed the curse, I got back missing 1M dps.

I'm also pretty sure I had the full DPS in a new ring right after I bought it, but then I added 20% caster mods quality on it (I thought this was the way to do it, since I didn't find any rings which would have had incresed despair effect built in). However, removing caster quality in POB, don't restore missing DPS.

I first suspected this was mana problem, but can't see incresed mana cost from the curse and adding custom mana and mana cost efficiensies don't help either.

I haven't yet tried the atlas tree you proposed, because the guide says I need four voidstones and fully revealed atlas. I don't have any voidstones yet, but I think I should have now what it takes to get at least few.

I don't know where you get these numbers from, but your current Full DPS is 3.2M which seems solid. I can't see your old/new ring, so it's hard to tell, but I am 99% sure there is no bug in PoB and that this is a user problem. Did you setup your POB properly? Check the Q&A section to see how you can do that.

For Catalysts, you want to use Fertile Catalysts (for enhanced life mods) or Prismatic Catalysts (for enhanced resistance mods, if needed) - as stated in the guide.

By the way: Where did you get that Ashes of the Star from? Did you buy it? If so, how much did it cost? I'm asking because that's a very expensive item normally and often is as expensive as the whole gear from the build combined - which makes me think that this isn't a great ivnestment at the current state of your build.

Cheers
Last edited by fezz8386 on Jan 9, 2024, 3:43:44 AM
"
CoreKey wrote:
Is using Mirage Archers instead of Faster Attacks a bad idea in the late endgame setup?

This kinda depends on your total attack speed. If it is already pretty high, Mirage Archer Support might actually be better. Your question made me double check the setup and to my surprise, the very late endgame setup is actually significantly better with Mirage Archer Support (due to already having a lot of increased attack speed) - for 3.24, I most likely will replace Faster Attacks Support with Mirage Archer Support in the default late endgame setup (so thanks for that question!).
Fezz, as far as I know, I have setup my POB according to instructions, unless I have accidentally changed something. Currently my POB shows 3,239,080 Combined dps to my main toxic rain skill, when I import my character. The higher value was total DPS with all damaging skills included. It shows now 3,620,812. Damage has come down a bit, because I replaced Schrieking Bolts skill from my medium jewel with one of +6% life, which I previously took from my tree to get more damage.

I can't repeat the higher DPS count now either, while I did everything I could yesterday to ensure it's not user error. I restarted the app and POE several times and tested different ways. Same repeated by having two rings on my build and switching between them but also when deleteing another ring and pasting it from POE. Now I find out that importing build into POB don't update rigns correctly, if I have changed them in POE. Completely new import reads the right setup, though. Yesterday I did lots of testing, so propably something I did messed the thighs up. I expected that new import overwite the changes, since I have all the delete boxes checked.

What comes to the progress/choises of my build and the costs, ashes of the stars was indeed my first relatively expensive purchase, but I payed 1.4 divs from it. I don't know if it's much less than usual, but there's lots of them for 1.5divs now. It gave me about 24% more DPS. Back then, another choise would have been 10 div bow with about 30% more DPS, but that 1.5 divs was about all I got.

Same time I bought maloney's mechanism, which I payed about 15c. It was a great purchase and helped lots in doorways or such to give immediate hit on monsters and prevent me from getting stuck when running through.

I payed something like 20c from my stygian vice and jewel. Better ones would have been much more expensive and this was just better than my old one but affordable. Upgrading those would be next on my list. My armor cost 100c, and was basically bought with same criterias.

Now I upgraded my bow and ended up paying 15divs from it, because it seemed to be better than I had expected to have afford. Seems to be that it can be my final bow. I was first buing 10div bow, but it was gone before I was able to sell enought small crap to get divines. Then there was 12div bow, with same results. This one was much betterm though, so I don't complain.

I crafted most of my jewels, aiming 8% to chaos damage over time multiplier, and then adding random mods. Later on I bought couple better ones with 20c or so. I did get one good corrupted drop with 12% damage over time and 8% chaos damage over time multiplier, 2% physical damage reduction and 16% increased global physical damage.

I bought my cluster jewels with about 30c to be something reasonably good for money, but to be upgraded later. I could have better major skills, but they'd have been exponetially more expensive. For example, my large jewel have 2 instead of 3 in recommendation.

My helmet, boots, gloves and other rigns are just random old drops with relatively good resistances on them. They are basically worthless, but haven't been able to find good replacements with significant gains. Helmet gives me 20% movent speed and 16% attack speed, which so far has been important.

I know I'm missing life from my items, but my plan is to update rest of them as a whole, when I'm rich enough to buy good items. Now it's too difficult to update them one by one, since it easily brake something. Since I don't have any money on them, I don't have to sel the old one to get affod new.

Still my biggest bottleneck seems to be damage, if I run maps and don't fight pinacle bosses. Yesterday I run few tier 14 maps juiced with 6k wisps, 4 chisels, fragment and few scarabs. It was rare with 88% quantity. I was ok with most of the monsters, and my life was mainly 100%, however there was Einhart and with beasts, and those were tricky to kill and took lots of time. It's good for challence, but not good for mapping, so I wouldn't mind more damage if I intend to run them.

My current plan is to switch to higher tier maps from tier 4, I've been running now when I juice them, find a good balance with juice, so I don't die too often and can level up. Then I can get more life without compromizing DPS too much.

I wouldn't like to go back to Constitution and Path of the warrior, since it need few unnecessary travel nodes, but I've been looking if there's some medium cluster jewel which could give similar stats with lesser points.

Hi Fezz! Holy grail or placebo?

I got this for 8c, and had to try because Toxic rain says modifies to projectile damage apply skill's damage over time.

Sounded suspicious, because the word hits, but this seems to really pack a punch. I tested this in delve, where conditions should stay quite stable.

Item Class: Charms
Rarity: Magic
Deadeye's Lupine Charm of the Deadeye
--------
Item Level: 79
--------
Projectiles gain Damage as they travel farther, dealing up
to 48% increased Damage with Hits to targets
100% increased Mirage Archer Duration
--------
Place into an allocated Charm Socket on the Wildwood Primalist Passive Skill Tree. Right click to remove from the Socket.
--------
Unmodifiable

Just sell one charm I find with 4 divs. These seems to be no joke. It had 20 to all elemental resistances and +2% area effect per power charge. Bougt another 20 for res with increased poison duration for 10c. It also seems to help quite a bit with poison arrow.

Item Class: Charms
Rarity: Magic
Assassin's Corvine Charm of the Necromancer
--------
Item Level: 83
--------
You and nearby Allies have +20% to Elemental Resistances
2% increased Poison Duration for each Poison you have inflicted Recently, up to a maximum of 100%
--------
Place into an allocated Charm Socket on the Wildwood Primalist Passive Skill Tree. Right click to remove from the Socket.
--------
Unmodifiable
Is TR of Withering worth using over the normal one?
"
TiwilyDarling wrote:
Is TR of Withering worth using over the normal one?

For your primary skill, no. For your secondary skill (ballista totem), yes. Check out the respective endgame milestone.
Last edited by fezz8386 on Jan 10, 2024, 4:31:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info