[Solution found!] Even more CPU spikes after the patch; the game is unplayable.

"
Beglets wrote:
It becomes worse with each major patch.

Is there any way to get rid from CPU spikes? Tried all graphic options, no effect. You can lower resolution if your graphic card isn't powerful enough, but you can do nothing about CPU spikes it seems...

One thing to try: launch the client with sound disabled. Yes, it's not a solution, but a troubleshooting step. There's an old persistent problem with a/some particular sound card drivers that can wreak havoc on an otherwise good system. Try playing with sound completely disabled and see if that improves things noticeably. If that helps, try getting newer or different versions of your sound card driver.

Also, if you need more help please tell us a bit more about your system. You say you have an Intel i7, but not which model - there are many, many different ones from the past 15 years or so. Is the CPU running hot, and how is it cooled? Windows version (is it up to date?), graphics card (drivers up to date?), how much memory and so on.
it can also be MTX problem. i have prety good gaming pc but cant use primordial dread pack mtx since it gives lagg spikes every few secs when i put it on. skill mtx can do that to. spectral throw had that problem long time ago
"
Nubatron wrote:

Imagine if your expectation that games were coded to support older machines, including older Pentiums as you suggested, came to be. The first Pentium processor came out in 1993.....I'm not sure that I need to continue with that thought. Hopefully you get the point.

That is not a problem to play the game with shitty graphics. Everyone played the games in 80-90's. Yes they hadn't such graphics like modern titels but you could run Doom or Quake with pretty decent FPS on average non-gamer machine with zero stuttering.

Just give a choice to the ppl, let them decide how to play PoE on their end. This is the only problem:

Too ways to add X and Y

GGG's WAY:
"

int x = 1;
int y = 9;

for (int i = 0; i < y; ++i)
{
x += 1;
}

PROPER WAY:
"
int x = 1;
int y = 9;
x += y;

There is no excuse to the 1st primer.
Last edited by cursorTarget on Jan 30, 2022, 12:17:32 PM
"
"
Nubatron wrote:

Imagine if your expectation that games were coded to support older machines, including older Pentiums as you suggested, came to be. The first Pentium processor came out in 1993.....I'm not sure that I need to continue with that thought. Hopefully you get the point.

That is not a problem to play the game with shitty graphics. Everyone played the games in 80-90's. Yes they hadn't such graphics like moder titels but you could run Doom or Quake with pretty decent FPS on average machine with zero stutterin.

Just give a choice to the ppl, let them decide how to play PoE on their end.

My problem is not machince fps (although sometimes delirium hurts a bit) but BRAIN fps. I simply cannot see shit cause of the 100000000000 effects onscreen. Give me potato ultra minecraft plus tetris mode to play and I'll be happy. I just want to see stuff no matter if its ugly or preettier than my d... No more #purpurina effects
"
"
Nubatron wrote:

That is not a problem to play the game with shitty graphics. Everyone played the games in 80-90's. Yes they hadn't such graphics like modern titels but you could run Doom or Quake with pretty decent FPS on average non-gamer machine with zero stuttering.

Just give a choice to the ppl, let them decide how to play PoE on their end. This is the only problem:

Too ways to add X and Y

GGG's WAY:
"

int x = 1;
int y = 9;

for (int i = 0; i < y; ++i)
{
x += 1;
}

PROPER WAY:
"
int x = 1;
int y = 9;
x += y;

There is no excuse to the 1st primer.

Like I said, I'm not here to defend GGG in terms of their code and the game's performance. I was just simply saying that expecting them to make the game in a manner that supports whatever rig people happen to use is unrealistic. Particularly with the unreasonable amount of calcs this game processes.

We know nothing about OP's situation other than it seems to have been fine before the last patch, and afterward it was not.
Last edited by Nubatron on Jan 30, 2022, 12:47:54 PM
Try turning off all MTX and see the difference. I'm sad to say it's not a myth.
"
Nubatron wrote:

Like I said, I'm not here to defend GGG in terms of their code and the game's performance. I was just simply saying that expecting them to make the game in a manner that supports whatever rig people happen to use is unrealistic. Particularly with the unreasonable amount of calcs this game processes.

Truly ancient computers aside, considering the current situation on the market it would be wise to target middle and eve low-tier systems. Say i wouldn't mind upgrading my 8 year old kajigger, but i kinda prefer to do it without paying something extra on top of already high price to some wannabe-smart-ass local "businessman" whose "business" consists of tipping somebody in the store and just plain reselling the shit, or alternatively either engaging in some ridiculous queues or playing lottery with something bought via AliExpress.

While i'm personally sure GGG don't write their code like shown above, but considering the already old engine plus tight release schedule and looking at certain league launches, its, politely speaking , quite not so well optimized.
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
It's not about my PC cause prior to latest big patch most of the areas were just fine (like 85%), and some areas ALWAYS had CPU spikes, the prime example being The Rogue Harbour, - just standing there with nobody around generated CPU spike every second or two.

BUT with the latest patch it's now everywhere, in every single area.

But as I said already turning off ENGINE MULTITHREADING completely eliminates CPU spikes.

(But running on a single core isn't that great, though it produces 60 fps most of the time.)

Going to update BIOS and all motherboard drivers and search PoE tech support forums for info about multi-threading and Intel CPUs.
If i understand true it's a problem after 3.16.3 patch.
Yeah, if u disable "Engine Multithreading" - that will help. I hope GGG just damaged something and will fix it before 3.17.
(I have 5600x, it's not old cpu)

If someone can - create post in reddit for this pls.
Last edited by Shirdir on Jan 30, 2022, 8:23:37 PM
"
Beglets wrote:
"
Do you have Geforce Experience and/or Steam Overlay running? If so, turn that shit off. Doing that fixed my problems long ago. I don't know your setup but there's plenty of triage you can perform before making posts like this.

Have this problem since Heist, it became worse with time.

Even 1 month ago most of the areas were normal, only like 10% - 20% of all areas had CPU spikes as well as certain mobs (mostly flaming mobs).

But after the latest big update it's everywhere, in hideout, in towns in all the acts, even in areas that were CPU spike-free before.

There's some glitch in the code that spreads wider with each major update and "infects" new chunks of the code.

And no, it's not about some third-party program, it's about Intel CPUs and multi-threading.

Except I've been using intels i7 10700k for years now and haven't had cpu spikes at all. You're ignoring what is possibly the actual problem and focusing on something that isn't the problem.

Check your mobo chipset drivers. Check your bios. What's your system settings on for power? Can you post actual numbers of your cpu spikes? Not PoE's F1 numbers, but something very easy such as having task manager open in another screen to see actual cpu usage? Are you running an SSD? Is that SSD getting full use (something as simple as having bent your sata cable can reduce it's speed), is your SSD at / near full?

Have you looked at your cpu performance in something free like hwmonitor? Are all cores acting normal?

Edit; Oh and make sure you don't have a crypto miner installed without you knowing lol. Has been happening for a long time now, people hide crypto miners in everything now.
Last edited by Bleu42 on Jan 30, 2022, 11:43:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info