[Solution found!] Even more CPU spikes after the patch; the game is unplayable.

It becomes worse with each major patch.

Is there any way to get rid from CPU spikes? Tried all graphic options, no effect. You can lower resolution if your graphic card isn't powerful enough, but you can do nothing about CPU spikes it seems...
Last edited by Beglets on Feb 2, 2022, 9:29:37 PM
Last bumped on Aug 21, 2023, 9:29:05 PM
Obviously not "unplayable". You have 17 challenges complete. If you have problems, try talking with tech-support. They might have an idea as to why you're having these spikes and how to prevent it.
maybe try to upgrade your ancient hardware. future is now.
Just found out that turning off ENGINE MULTITHREADING completely eliminates CPU spikes on my PC (though has some negative effect on video performance).

Guess something to do with Intel i7 CPU.

Still I understand this problem persists FOR YEARS, would be nice to hear something about it from GGG, do they intend to try to resolve it or should we ditch Intel CPUs?
"
Casie0046 wrote:

Proper code has nothing to the "ancient hardware". The devs have power to make the game running smoothly even on Pentium or even older machines.
Do you have Geforce Experience and/or Steam Overlay running? If so, turn that shit off. Doing that fixed my problems long ago. I don't know your setup but there's plenty of triage you can perform before making posts like this.
"
Do you have Geforce Experience and/or Steam Overlay running? If so, turn that shit off. Doing that fixed my problems long ago. I don't know your setup but there's plenty of triage you can perform before making posts like this.

Have this problem since Heist, it became worse with time.

Even 1 month ago most of the areas were normal, only like 10% - 20% of all areas had CPU spikes as well as certain mobs (mostly flaming mobs).

But after the latest big update it's everywhere, in hideout, in towns in all the acts, even in areas that were CPU spike-free before.

There's some glitch in the code that spreads wider with each major update and "infects" new chunks of the code.

And no, it's not about some third-party program, it's about Intel CPUs and multi-threading.
Last edited by Beglets on Jan 29, 2022, 11:59:12 PM
You guys are disgusting, this person comes to the forum from a place that I'd call despair and look how rude you are... It's savage.

PoE is a demanding game man, however on my old computer I found that using the non steam client was helping. But if you decide to stay on steam, disabling the overlay will help you a smidge. If you have processor issues and if your processor is properly updated/cooled it is mostly on your hardware performances :/ and it is a pain to replace a motherboard, hope reducing specs and playing with the non steam client would be enough for you.

Not willing to add salt to the injury but the game runs pretty smoothly on my pentium but it is a big one.
Last edited by galuf on Jan 30, 2022, 12:27:25 AM
Talk with someone who knows what is going on. Don't expect a bunch of random people on the internet to help. There's a solution. You'll need to do a bit of work to find it. You're likely causing the problem through something you're not even aware of, but we're totally unable to help because we're just guessing. Go to tech support and they'll help you.
"
"
Casie0046 wrote:

Proper code has nothing to the "ancient hardware". The devs have power to make the game running smoothly even on Pentium or even older machines.

This is a pretty bad take on the situation. Obviously as games move forward, some machines will be left behind. I'm not going to defend POE in terms of performance, it's certainly an area the game lags, but even under the most optimal situation POE would push the limits of machines due to the sheer amount of calculations occurring.

Imagine if your expectation that games were coded to support older machines, including older Pentiums as you suggested, came to be. The first Pentium processor came out in 1993.....I'm not sure that I need to continue with that thought. Hopefully you get the point.

In response to OP, there is very little chance people will be able to help you other than throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. The issue might be your machine. Or an application you having running in the background. Or having a ton of things running while gaming. Since it sounds like it changed with a patch, it could likely be narrowed down to something that wasn't optimized in the code and pushed the limits of your machine. It's hard to say without knowing what your machine is.

If you're running a Commodore 64, well...you know the answer. And I say that in loving memory of my old Commodore 64. Great computer. Completely unreasonable to expect POE to run on it.
Last edited by Nubatron on Jan 30, 2022, 7:50:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info