Subsurface Refraction Technology in Path of Exile

maybe fix the rendering issues first, then brag about it working.
MAKE LEFT CLICK GREAT AGAIN.
Very neat -- thanks for sharing! ^^
I can barely keep the game at 60fps with global illumination on by lowering shadow and GI quality to the lowest. You want to make the game perform even worse?
Very cool! Great work!
Please, no. The ancient game engine is overloaded with stuff it can't cope with. Loads times are long even on SSD, memory requirements continue to rise, FPS, originally boosted by Vulcan and particle culling, goes down. We don't need the game to look as a photo render, we need it to run on our 2-6 year old computers we won't be able to upgrade within the next 5-8 years (if nothing changes on the "mining" front -- and it doesn't have a tendency to). So if anyone is listening to this cry to the void, instead of adding new stuff in, cut the stuff out and optimize, the more -- the better.
well, PoE is one the worst optimized games ive ever played, so i wont see any of this in next 100 years, until i will buy a super PC for PoE. -.-
Keep it simple, stupid.
thats amazing. SSS in real time rivals raytracing in real time. Things I thought only possible in offline renderers with long render times. pushing these things and migrating more physically accurate tech from offline renderers makes sense and is a major step forward for artists in general, even if quality will never be the same obviously.

zero problems with performance in this and previous league btw so thanks to everyone on the team making PoE both look and perform better! Compared to some year ago its like another game, much more enjoyable experience lol.
Last edited by Walltrigger on Nov 12, 2021, 5:54:38 AM
Thanks for providing these insights into your work. Very interesting. My money, buying cosmetics, seems to be well invested. Continue the good work on all fronts.
Your satisfied customer, Dyaxt :)
A pity that all that effort like hi-res models, effects etcetera etcetera is basically wasted considering the typical "over9000 monsters on top of over9000 overlapped effects" game experience.
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info