Post aura rage here. I will lock any other aura thread I see.

"
Alexspier wrote:
Looks as if it was stuck to the floor..

Look at all the detail in the original Hatred! The fact that it was always moving meant that I'd never really had a chance to notice how much awesome texture detail was there. I love the way that it appears to incorporate little bits of script.

If you want to make it more subtle, how about just leaving out the bright ice shard models with the distortion around them, and just keep the glow (which is missing from the new version), and the script (perhaps scale that up just a bit so that it is a little more apparent without zooming in, but tone down the brightest parts, so that it fades into that glow more), and replace the hole which the underlying texture leaves for the ice shard with something like a snowflake symbol. Consider making it spin a lot slower as well (or not at all?), so that people can actually see the details.
"
MesostelZe wrote:
"
Alexspier wrote:

Look at all the detail in the original Hatred! The fact that it was always moving meant that I'd never really had a chance to notice how much awesome texture detail was there. I love the way that it appears to incorporate little bits of script.

If you want to make it more subtle, how about just leaving out the bright ice shard models with the distortion around them, and just keep the glow (which is missing from the new version), and the script (perhaps scale that up just a bit so that it is a little more apparent without zooming in, but tone down the brightest parts, so that it fades into that glow more), and replace the hole which the underlying texture leaves for the ice shard with something like a snowflake symbol. Consider making it spin a lot slower as well (or not at all?), so that people can actually see the details.

Old clarity was really similar to this also, awesome details, looks like elf writting, really beautiful.

I liked the old auras because players had the same auras as enemies. I learned to identify haste because I had haste aura on myself. It was really handy for noobs.

I also was missing my determination aura for an entire map today.. could have died. I could easily look for the old aura because it was easily identifiable.

Auras as they stand look nice. However, the only info the graphics give the other player is that the player with a lot of swirlies has a lot of auras on. That is like having a fireball player shooting grey blobs that do fire damage. The old auras gave your character a lot more personality.

You are doing good work with all these graphic changes, Russel, but the removal of easily identifiable auras was a bad decision.
IGN: @Deltrus
My build and gear: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/462131
"
Alexspier wrote:
pic removed for faster loading this page:)
Direct comparing:

Looks so ugly now :( Please change it.

THIS! Just see it, it looks like they are bugged/glitched, doesn't even look ugly but more like a bugged fx effect...I think this is not even subject for discussion but for change.
Check my shop at http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/201211
My gem shop http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/876899
BUYING ITEM/ORB/GEM PACKS WITH BULK PRICE, PM ME!

IGN: KillKillKillKillKill
"
armageddonsm wrote:
"
Alexspier wrote:
Direct comparing:

THIS! Just see it, it looks like they are bugged/glitched, doesn't even look ugly but more like a bugged fx effect...I think this is not even subject for discussion but for change.

The old auras where alive, had beautiful light and shadow effects, the new ones look like glitches, you could not be more accurate my friend.
"
tgodoy85 wrote:
"
armageddonsm wrote:
"
Alexspier wrote:
Direct comparing:

The old auras where alive, had beautiful light and shadow effects, the new ones look like glitches, you could not be more accurate my friend.

Pretty much lol, i got into the game and saw the new Auras i though my option settings broke or something.
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz w/ H80 Water Cooler || Sapphire 7870 || 8GB DDR3 Ram (Corsair) ||
AsRock Z77 Extreme 6 || 2TB Seagate Barracuda || 750W Corsair PSU ||
Last edited by Alexspier on Apr 11, 2013, 1:55:27 PM
Personally I like them better the way they are now, even tho it can be abit hard sometime to spot what kind of stuff monsters have on them. But guess its something you learn after some time.

Always felt abit wierd walking around looking like Disco Stu and you know, "Stayin' Alive" when everything else was so dark, gritty and horrible (and I mean horrible in a good way) in Wraeclast.
"
Russell wrote:
"
OldeSchool wrote:
"
Khodar wrote:
No rage, i'm fine either way.

But i still think GGG should implement it as a graphics option. I mean they have the assets for both high/low, why not use them?

Despite the rather presumptive title, this thread has remained fairly civil. Nice work to those who chose the high road.

Though it seems an ideal solution at first glance, I see the potential problems with implementing a toggle, not the least of which would be the task of maintaining two separate (and radically different) groups of effects. High res/low res is one thing, but old aura / new aura setting would be problematic IMO.

The bigger picture here is the art direction of the game; the new auras are clearly a departure from what we'd known (and makes me wonder why presumably the same person/group now hating on the "disco balls" built them that way in the first place...if it was indeed he/they who did). The detail inside the little spinny aura things (sorry for the graphical techno-speak) is very well done, but loses its punch when viewed at full-out zoom. As I have said before, the new auras' bright colours and sharp lines are not in keeping with Wraclast's traditional "look", and I wonder if this is the onset of a new direction insofar as art style. I, for one, hope not, as it was the washed-out, desolate, organic feel that drew me here, and keeps me here.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense that there's more afoot here than just a simple aura makeover.

No I just made the original auras in about 1 day with random textures I found around the place and 0 thought. I pretty much had 2 particles emitters that spun around. So what I did was this. Hmmmm this aura seems like it needs to be green. What green particle textures do we have around. These look glowy and sparky I guess (mash them all together into one particle emitter). Cool done. Next. Its kinda funny and cool that people thought I put so much thought and work into them when they were possibly the quickest most rushed effects in the game xD. Curses were also being made in the same kind of manner. They will be most certainly getting a reboot to look more like the reduce elemental resistance curses at some point. Time is a demon.

We are not changing the art direction no. We are just making auras take a back seat as we have always found them far to intrusive. We just never had the time to fix them. I may desaturate the haste and energy shield aura a little. As they are quite saturated and look toony because of it. I know people like big glowy stuff that covers the entire character. However that doesn't meet our vision of what we want our characters to look like(yes I know some of the character micro transactions have been glowy as hell).Also im pretty sure armour reworks are coming at some point. I know some unique 3d models have also been made. They still need to be bound to all the characters though (fat load of grind work for Sav). So hopefully in the future we will have some cool armours. Now with the auras fixed you will actually be able to see that armour.... when it comes : <

Bleh I suck at writing :P

Does it mean that the auras will be redone as well? After few days of playing the concept how they work now does not seem that bad (of course if i forget about the "Christmas Tree Effect"). The problem is that they simply do not have the right resolution they look like they were made of just 16 colors... they do not fit with the other great game's art at all... they look like they were taken from another game from 2001 ;)
"
DeltruS wrote:
I liked the old auras because players had the same auras as enemies. I learned to identify haste because I had haste aura on myself. It was really handy for noobs.

This is probably a topic to think about, DeltruS is right - this brings unforgivable inconsistency to the game... will the monster auras be redone as well???
"
zZzbynek wrote:
"
DeltruS wrote:

This is probably a topic to think about, DeltruS is right - this brings unforgivable inconsistency to the game... will the monster auras be redone as well???

If the monster would ever have auras same as we got right now, you would barely see it if theres alot of monster around, it's pointless.
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz w/ H80 Water Cooler || Sapphire 7870 || 8GB DDR3 Ram (Corsair) ||
AsRock Z77 Extreme 6 || 2TB Seagate Barracuda || 750W Corsair PSU ||

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info