Multistrike

"
is it soon time to fix MultiStrike ?

MultiStrike reduce's the mana cost of your ability - increases attack speed and it increases the damage you deal. you wont find a melee player who is not using this support gem or searches for it in order to use it.

the gem only reduces damage by 36% but at lvl 20 it grants 57% more damage + if you improve the quality to max it add's 10% more...

take a look at this as an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHO-Gmi83BE

there's many other abilities that are being spammed like this and pvp is a mess due to the extreme high attack speed of player's along with aoe or movement based skill's.

you no-longer need movement speed to avoid heavy damage but you can become close to immortal for a brief moment instead... there is not much use in trying to run either since all abilities land within a split second and are aoe based....

nerf multistrike before it is too late and by that i mean players getting too accustomed to it

Multistrike doesnt decrease effective mana cost. With it, an ability costs 1.8 times more, executed 2.07 times more often but it makes 3 attacks at the cost of one. 100%*1.8*2.07/3 = 124% effective mana multiplier. Af for its DPS output, it grants just 0.64*2.07 = 1.325 (32.5% MORE DPS) and 67% INCREASED physical damage too (it stacks additively with other increased bonuses). If your character has little increased bonuses (like most life chars, who go solely for %life nodes), then it indeed bring OP damage boost. But if your toon has 400% increased damage already, those +67% turn into 13.4% More damage, to a total of 1.134*1.325 = 1.5 times more damage (50% more damage). That's still a considerable amount, so, yes, i think Multistrike is a bit OP, but a slight numerical nerf will easily make it balanced. But before, desync issues should be fixed first.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
why doesn't multistrike apply to each hit of cylone instead of the tornado itself?

essentially each cyclone spin would hit 6 times instead of 2. Why does it have to spin 3 different mobs?

That would probably eliminate the massive desync
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
"
demivion wrote:
why doesn't multistrike apply to each hit of cylone instead of the tornado itself?

essentially each cyclone spin would hit 6 times instead of 2. Why does it have to spin 3 different mobs?

That would probably eliminate the massive desync

Multistrike just shouldnt supply Cyclone at all, same to Whirling Blades. You cant make it work properly for a skill like Cyclone.
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I finally got my first Multistrike after thinking I'd never get that far on my Duelist.

And sweet Jesus, it's OP.

You could easily compare it to something like Faster Attacks, which is what I was using in my 4th slot with Dual Strike before I got Multistrike. I had Faster Attacks leveled up to 59, giving me 39% greater ROF. Without even leveling it, I compared DPS and found that Multistrike immediately gave me a few percent more DPS than Faster Attacks. Finding out that every level would grant me a few more percent was just lovely.

The other thing about Multistrike is that I don't have to be so careful aiming my Dual Strike anymore; without it, if a mob is running away (as skeletons are wont to do), I sometimes end up running in a circle around it, Dual Striking the ground uselessly. With Multistrike, I can jump into a crowd of mobs and hold down my attack button, and a few seconds later, there's no mobs. Cool.

Honestly, it would be nice if every other support were like this - making skills both better and easier to use. I don't mind that it lets me hit things without having my cursor directly on top of them (makes hitting small mobs way less of a headache), but it's significantly better than Faster Attacks in all relevant metrics; it's sad that my Level 59 Faster Attacks grants less added DPS than the Level 19 Multistrike when they effectively do the same thing with slightly different mechanics.
"
Bukariin wrote:
I finally got my first Multistrike after thinking I'd never get that far on my Duelist.

And sweet Jesus, it's OP.

You could easily compare it to something like Faster Attacks, which is what I was using in my 4th slot with Dual Strike before I got Multistrike. I had Faster Attacks leveled up to 59, giving me 39% greater ROF. Without even leveling it, I compared DPS and found that Multistrike immediately gave me a few percent more DPS than Faster Attacks. Finding out that every level would grant me a few more percent was just lovely.

The other thing about Multistrike is that I don't have to be so careful aiming my Dual Strike anymore; without it, if a mob is running away (as skeletons are wont to do), I sometimes end up running in a circle around it, Dual Striking the ground uselessly. With Multistrike, I can jump into a crowd of mobs and hold down my attack button, and a few seconds later, there's no mobs. Cool.

Honestly, it would be nice if every other support were like this - making skills both better and easier to use. I don't mind that it lets me hit things without having my cursor directly on top of them (makes hitting small mobs way less of a headache), but it's significantly better than Faster Attacks in all relevant metrics; it's sad that my Level 59 Faster Attacks grants less added DPS than the Level 19 Multistrike when they effectively do the same thing with slightly different mechanics.

Yeah, for melee skills, Multistrike is always better than faster attacks. It is not so great for ranged attacks (Lightning Strike),

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Possible bug with Multistrike:

212 HP regen. With a skill linked to Blood Magic and MS, 250 HP/s expended does NOT outpace my regen. However setting up the skill so that it uses 250 hp/s without multistrike, and suddenly it does outpace my regen like it should.

What's going on here? Is multistrike giving such a high attack speed that the game can't process it, and I'm actually getting fewer attacks per second than I should be? (9.26 aps in this case).

I'll post this in the bug forum as well just in case nobody reads these threads :p
Last edited by aimlessgun on Dec 11, 2013, 6:16:14 AM
The aforementioned double-post, with a likely explanation too :)
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The aforementioned double-post, with a likely explanation too :)

I should get a little credit being an alpha member ;_; Had to explain to people that yes, I do in fact know how multistrike works and how to calculate HP per second expenditures :p
Hey everyone

I may have a problem with the multistrike gem.
I use it with a dual strike gem and I got a strange problem with that. DS on it's own has no problem, but with multistrike, it start to hit enemies in range randomly. I mean that I cannot attack only one enemmy with that. Every strike hit a different ennemy.

This happen everytime I got more than one ennemy in range for a melee attack, no matter the ennemy.

Is it normal?

I am a shadow using dual claws
That's intended.
Sorry Exile, but your loot is in another dungeon!
IGN: Delirii

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info