Feedback on Colourblind Support for Gem Sockets

"
Ydoum wrote:
"
Zoen wrote:
"
Jamesborg99 wrote:
I'm not a coloblind person, but is there not a problem with Blue pointing up and links also pointing up?

I was literally about to point this out, and possibly suggest the lines go inwards towards the socket instead.

THIS.

GGG, this is soooooo obvious that I can't believe you have missed that.

Inwards makes no sence because when you socket a gem you cant see it anymore and you still want to know the color without removing the gem everytime(and i assume you cant see the shape of the gem when its socketed).

first of all these notches or whatever solution you go for should be a option in the settings!?
I dont think you have to streamline it so it looks good for everyone and therefore you dont need to go for the talent tree style with up blue and so on.

i dont think extra 36(when i counted correct and assume it you did it this way 9 variants for each color) images for that is that complicated.

the shape variant sounds like so far the best thing even it looks not so nice(thats why the option to turn it on for colorblind people)

to the current one even as a non colorblind person i cant see a difference on the white and blue one besides the color
not random enough, gem sockets need more weight. Have the lines be even smaller and rotate randomly based on the item's rolls so the player has to access another 3rd party tool to figure which socket it goes into. (/s)
Lab is 0 fun. Free the ascension points from lab
What would be nice is if there's a noticeable notch on the inside of the socket to point out which color the gem should be, based on the associated attribute of the gem.

Although this will require an overhaul of gem icon design, but it would be nice if the gem icon themselves had grooves so that it's clear which notched socket they're supposed to go to.

With the above design, you can make white sockets without notches, and white gems with all 3 grooves to note that white gems can go into any colored sockets.
"
RaltSh wrote:
I vastly preferred the old PoE gem slots, but better than nothing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/9ckdhd/colorblind_mode_for_gem_sockets/

Yes, I swear I recall the sockets each being distinct in 2.5 (Breach). Unsure why they don't go back to that.
"
AngeMiaou wrote:
Im blue/green colourblind and it doesn't really solve not being able to tell at a glance, even after fixing the upwards blue notch, really do feel like toggleable colour choices would go a much longer way. Good for it to exist still!

I've always felt more at home with customizable colourblind modes, they can support a lot more variations.

Yeah, I think cuz there are so many different ways color-blindness is experienced, something that is user-determined would be the most accessible solution.
Seems too subtle. I'd suggest making the little notches thicker at one end and coming to a point.
Why not use different shapes?.
I have three phones, Blizzard. Three f***ing phones.

Ya the reason this worked better is because the different shapes were immediately recognisable and the links didn't cause confusion
"
Nepenthess wrote:
"
RaltSh wrote:
I vastly preferred the old PoE gem slots, but better than nothing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/9ckdhd/colorblind_mode_for_gem_sockets/

Yes, I swear I recall the sockets each being distinct in 2.5 (Breach). Unsure why they don't go back to that.

i'm so glad someone has a picture of that; i remember that too!

why did that go away?

alternatively, what if instead of the socket rims themselves having notches or shape adjustments, could a black symbol INSIDE the socket's void be used? Triangle, Square, Diamond?
i'm colorblind. I had a lot of problems with red and green sockets. If I look very carefully I see the diference, but at first glance I see them the same color. So the notches work perfectly for me for red and green.

To the ones pointing the blue notch points to the link direction, the blue one is the only one that can have its notch covered by the link, so no notches equals blue.

There is the uncommon case where a white socket could be confused with blue socket that has its notch covered, that would only affect some extreme colorblinds, but whites should have the 3 notches, easy fix.
Last edited by PedroloGeo on Aug 31, 2021, 7:25:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info