Feedback on Colourblind Support for Gem Sockets

"
Prov1eh wrote:
Not sure how to feel about this, you speak about a clear difference all I can see are barely noticeable lines. I’d have really preferred it if you just changed the socket layout to something like red = circle, green = square, blue = triangle and white = hexagon. Blue won’t even be visible when linked upwards, bad design imo.

I was thinking the same and this won't be for colorblind people only. I use F.lux and green/blue is hard to discern at night.
Why not just make the entire third gold for each?
Hello, red/green colourblind person checking in here, this is barely noticeable unfortunately. What we want is a way to distinguish at a glance (which non colour blind people can already do) which gem colours are which. As others have said, different shapes for the colours would do this. The tiny notches, not so much.

I appreciate you're trying, but this isn't the solution to getting what other players already have.
"
Jamesborg99 wrote:
I'm not a coloblind person, but is there not a problem with Blue pointing up and links also pointing up?

And they wonder why we have no faith.... lol, made me giggle :)
Last edited by roetetoet on Aug 31, 2021, 6:33:17 PM
I'm red-green colorblind and I cannot differentiate between red and green sockets under any conditions, and to be fair I don't like this current iteration. This version is barely noticable.

How about you can have a toggleable option to highlight socket links with another color or to make it stand out?

And also an option to have red be a circle, green a triangle and blues a square shaped socket? It doesn't have to be these particular shapes, just make it an option and stick with something.

There is also the issue with oils, where you can't tell some of them apart at all, especially on the passive tree. And in-game some of the effects are black on black or something but that's a visibility problem in general, don't know if anything can or will be done about it ever.
Last edited by Garry209 on Aug 31, 2021, 7:01:07 PM
I think that there would be some problems, like the blue notch don't be noticeable while having an upper link, or the fact that in some resolutions are hard to spot. I don't like to rant about a problem without giving some solutions, one would be giving some options to have a highlight in the compatible sockets while having a gem in the cursor, another solution could be having an option to change the sockets into forms and having the form behind the gem, other consist in having part of a frame in the gems, and matching it to a bigger notch in the soket
As I've gotten older, I have noticed more often than not that the ring color is becoming harder to figure out. And I'm using a GTX 2080 Vcard with alot of max settings for this game. It may be easier for many to color the entire socket or even give the socket an R=Red, G=Green or B=Blue inside the socket body/center.
"
Zoen wrote:
"
Jamesborg99 wrote:
I'm not a coloblind person, but is there not a problem with Blue pointing up and links also pointing up?

I was literally about to point this out, and possibly suggest the lines go inwards towards the socket instead.

THIS.

GGG, this is soooooo obvious that I can't believe you have missed that.
Sitting in HO spamming alts for 4 hours straight is peak PoE gameplay. Thanks, Chris.
It's really a good news that GGG are trying to work around this problem however I think that the differences between colors or frames should be a little bit more significant.

Last edited by Shunriel on Aug 31, 2021, 6:43:58 PM
For some actual colourblind feedback (protanopia) instead of people trying to guess what issues we have:

I didn't have many issues with the current in-game look, blue isn't a issue for protan, and red/green are very easy to distinguish, with red being way darker, and shiny upper left on green. I even tried disabling my gpu colour settings for some time, and even without them it's currently all good for me in PoE. Improvements are nice but don't feel necessary to me.

I don't think there's any issue with the mark on top for blue ones as many people are pointing, even if a link is on it, it doesn't matter as long as the other 2 look very different. Maybe it could become an issue with the white socket and full or blue colourblind people (both very rare), I'm not even sure though, white will appear way lighter than every other for them I guess?

The only thing really annoying in game at the moment for me is looking at anoints on the passive tree, oils have no name and many of them look very similar. But that's such a niche case I don't really care about it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info