[3.15] Storm Rain Raider League Starter - Theorycraft

"
daason wrote:
Are the beams projectile damage? Do the arrows have a hit damage before they hit the ground? Are the beams chainable?

Never played Rain of Arrows / Toxic Rain before so don't know these interactions.

Mark answered in the reddit question thread, the beam portion of the skill will also scale with Projectile damage with the other tags. (source to Mark's answer : https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/ooedlq/questions_thread_july_21_2021/h62fkrm/?context=10)

It didn't answer for the chaining but the answer should be no, because the beams are hardcoded to chain between 2 arrows imo and anyway chain only applies to monsters, while in this case it'll be between projectiles.

To expand a bit more on my example from page 4 :

"
ploxirion wrote:
With 6 APS and 11 projectiles per attack (bow, quiver, awakened gmp, 1 from the skill) you keep 99 arrows on the ground with 100% uptime for the 4 pulses (you fire 99 arrows every 1.6 seconds which will be the max duration at gem level 21). You don't need a mirrage archer which makes deadeye useless and allow you to slot a better support gem.

Even if only 10% of the beams hit the boss you have a skill that have 580% base damage / effectivness each pulse. Probably even a tad more at level 21.

In the scenario where you keep 100 arrows on the ground with a correct uptime (aka not overriding arrows already on the ground before their 4th pulse) :

- You have 100 arrows each firing a beam towards another arrow
- At gem level 21 each pulse is 0.4 second which means you have a "fixed" APS (attack per second) of 2.5 from the pulses
- If only 10 on the beams out of the 100 fired each 0.4 seconds are hitting the target it means you effectively have a skill that has a 580% base damage with a fixed APS of 2.5. So in one second you'd have 580*2.5 = 1450 base % (there's a slight simplification in this example, in reality it'll be a bit lower)

Since the premise is you have 6 APS, the new lightning arrow has a base of 154%, which is 6*154 = 924%

The DPS of Storm rain will heavily relies on how many beams you can hit on the target with each pulse. If you have a 10% rate it's already really good. If we can modify the spread (which might be possible) to focus arrows in a more narrow area, it'll be even better.

Getting to the right APS breakpoint according to your number of additional projectiles will also be a big focus since it'll dictate if you should use a Mirrage Archer or not. MA will be required while leveling but can probably be remove once you reach endgame with crafted + projectiles.

There's a few things to keep in mind though :

- CotB is an effective way to chill enemies with little investment which is good defensive option (one should be enough)
- Despite the fact they lowered the ailment threshold on bosses we might not be hitting big shock % value because rather than a single bit hit, we'll do several smaller hits
- It's really hard to tell if Voltaxic Rift would be a good budget bow because while it has lightning damage with a chaos conversion and stronger shock, the phys scaling is pretty inexistant (but also means you don't have invest anywhere else to convert the 50% physical damage of the gem)
- Dying Sun is completly trash and should be skipped unless you plan to run a pathfinder and play with the new orbs
- Atziri's Promise is still the best flask to slot for the build since you'll benefit of the chaos on both the phys and ele, and have a free life leech (even better if you run CotB since it'll add chaos on both the full lightning value and the part converted to cold)
- Ward gear will probably suck ass since you'll sacrifice evasion which more annoying to cap now and the mechanic itself isn't really good at all
- Diamond flask might not be that bad if going crit route since you now can roll the Surgeon mod on hit (gain flask charge when you crit for a 100% uptime) or just syndicate craft crit on it

Deadeye might not be a that bad idea as a starter but I'm really skeptical on the 3 mirrage archers that could go beyond the 100 arrows caps and override arrows already on the ground which is an effective dps loss.
Last edited by ploxirion on Jul 22, 2021, 4:53:55 AM
"
ploxirion wrote:
"
daason wrote:

Deadeye might not be a that bad idea as a starter but I'm really skeptical on the 3 mirrage archers that could go beyond the 100 arrows caps and override arrows already on the ground which is an effective dps loss.

Well Ok.. I get worries from there...

But what you suppose to offer as possible swap for it ?
a) Raider - why it can give higher attack speed, you will lose possible another shots and arrows for release..
b) PathFinder - surely won't help anything..

-- Especially check all of that after PoB updates which updated at least "Skill Tree".. There aren't any differnt options than going DeadEye if you for example going just flat dmg..

If you will go on some cold damage overtime or something else than support lighting maybe you find some secret option behind other Classes..

https://pastebin.com/3t8R0um8

Idk Maybe you find way of powers my last try of build up (still using Lighting Arrow as reference.. could use also Rain of Arrows but there is initial projectiles so it can't be compared.. and toxic rain won't react on lighting so..)
Well, I'm not too concerned with damage so I'll start with raider for dodge / exposure / ailment mitigation / onslaught. If it turns to be "bad" in terms of damage late campaign / early maps because we won't have enough options to scale projectiles number yet, respeccing to deadeye is really easy.

I'm still unsure on a few things, like what element is best to scale, what bow base would feel better or even the entire flask setup, so a lot would be prone to testing.

I'm not even sure if I want Alira or 2 skillpoints from bandits. I think Alira is a big winner of the patch with the innate mana regen, while the 2 skill points are kinda less worth with the nerfs to cluster jewels. Cold Conduction would have been insane if not nerfed now there's probably better options instead.
Arrow nova might be an interesting support depending on the behavior of the beams. I watched the preview video at 7% speed and it seems like they randomly pick an arrow - I saw some beams that were about as long as the vertical height of the screen.
I dont think arrow nova will work. It doesn't support skills shot into the air and I am pretty sure that is what storm rain does.

What is CotB my brain is laggy:D

Maybe conc effect might be worth it to lower the spread and focus the beams to eg bosses and then swap to inc are for normals monsters??
Thinking about it: if the arrows connect without any max distance, conc effect might nit be good at all. Bc you increase the chance to get the it's if you cover a huge area..

What skills would you link? The might be standard..

Storm rain
Inspiration
Gmp
Elemental attack dmg
Phys to Lightning + Call of the Brotherhood + Trinity??
Inc are??
Lightning pen??
Added lightning??
Faster attack??
Last edited by Kaeltwyn on Jul 22, 2021, 6:57:35 AM
"
Vylly wrote:
Hey fellow storm rain theorycrafter !

I was thinking of building it the "old school way" with abyss jewel stacking, a quill rain or a death's opus (cannot decide yet).

I was thinking of going deadeye to compensate for the quillrain lack of additionnal arrow + mirage archer that could help reach as many arrow on the ground as possible

To scale it up during the league my personnal plan is to go for the abyss quarter of the atlas and farm low tier map for jewels and abyss uniques until i'm comfortable moving higher in tier.

I don't know yet how clunky it will be but it should work in the end ...

Quill rain should be awful. The physical damage is quite low. So many arrows: yes. High damage: prob no
"
Kaeltwyn wrote:

What is CotB my brain is laggy:D

Call of the Brotherhood
I like a lot of the thoughts here for passives and supports. Though I did see a suggestion for abyss jewels but I wonder how good that would be since the effectiveness of added damage is quite low.

What are we thinking for bows? High phys and attack speed with % increased lightning damage? Maybe a tempest for early league upgrading to a crafted bow with additional arrows later on?

It seems to me you want a bow like this

Thicket bow
--------
Adds 139 to 243 Fire Damage
Adds 126 to 217 Cold Damage
Adds 28 to 394 Lightning Damage
19% increased Attack Speed
38% increased Critical Strike Chance
Bow Attacks fire 2 additional Arrows
isn*t only 106% life a bit low?

Report Forum Post

Report Account: