[3.15] Storm Rain Raider League Starter - Theorycraft

After thinking about this for some time, it seems best to league start as toxic rain then switch at higher level because this scales off Attack Damage so some gearing is required.

Pros
+ Lots of Single target DPS
+ Scales of physical and lightning damage with 50% convert to lightning already
+ Level 1 is 46% of base attack damage. At level 20 its 58% of base.
+ Maximum 100 arrows on the ground; each firing 4 beams every 0.5 seconds.

Cons
- Not the best for clear? Could be wrong because you could shoot two different places and cover a large area. But its a very active playstyle

Leveling Guide for Toxic Rain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xD-Zgz9gek

PoB
1. https://pastebin.com/pHmtuvdT
This is the theory crafted POB. Its recommended to level as toxic rain/caustic arrow first. The gear in this pob is mostly budget with no annoints, legion jewel etc. The DPS here is not calculated correctly (we are using lightning arrow as a placeholder). If the theorycrafting below is correct, it should be around 3-5m dps.
2. Current POB: TBD

I will be updating my gear every couple hours or so once I get to maps.
Current Gear:
Gear

Raider Ascendency:
Quartz Infusion
Rapid Assult
Switch to frenzy later once we can get expensive +frenzy rings

Why Raider? We have ailment immunity and the increased attack speed scaling is our primary damage scaling method. (Could be nerfed though. We will have to see)

Best bow stats for this skill is

Thicket bow
--------
Adds 139 to 243 Fire Damage
Adds 126 to 217 Cold Damage
Adds 28 to 394 Lightning Damage
19% increased Attack Speed
38% increased Critical Strike Chance
Bow Attacks fire 2 additional Arrows

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZlNFWY-8jA&t=940s

How is DPS calculated?
Storm rain "pulses" on the ground. We don't know the duration yet but from the video it looks like 4-4.5seconds. It has a fixed pulse speed of 0.5 seconds. The pulse speed goes down with gem levels.

Basic calculation:

1. With 100 physical damage bow and 100 arrows on the ground, we do 46 physical and lightning damage per arrow per second so its 4.6k dps. This means whatever physical damage we have, we do 46x more so long as we can reach 100 arrows on the ground.

2. Ways to gain extra projectiles: Dying Sun, two additional arrow bow (maybe 3 with implicit), additional arrow quiver(2 with corruption), awakened gmp (5 but 25% less damage) and maybe enchantment(just a guess). So there is a way to get 12 additional arrows with all of the above. Mirage archer will also able to help us here.

3. Assuming a duration of 4 seconds, we can reach 100 arrows on the ground with a little over 2 APS. This is very achievable with Raider.

4. Assuming we are using GMP, our damage becomes about 30% less which becomes 3.2k dps with 100 physical damage bow. As we scale our APS, we can remove GMP and do much more damage.

With that said, once we have enough attack speed to consistently add 100 arrows to the ground, we will focus on crit via precision, bottled faith, watcher's eye and crit multi jewels for endgame optimizations. There are people below mentioning call of brother hoods, crit scaling, totems/traps, and eternity shroud conversion scaling for endgame ideas.

Another good idea is using traps. People can throw 10+ traps per second so with 10 projectiles, you can easily get 100 arrows
Last edited by ttwanksta on Jul 23, 2021, 3:56:49 PM
Last bumped on Jan 26, 2022, 2:23:53 AM
It doesn’t have a duration (no duration tag). It just fires 4 beams at lvl 1 each 0.5 seconds. So at lvl 1 duration is 2 seconds. We will have to wait and see what scales with levels, maybe none of them.
Just gonna throw out what I was gonna do. Deadeye +2 proj, 3 mirages. Drop tons of arrows and blow it up. Ride the lightning. Use tempest bow. lethality, primeval force, forces of nature, all the regular easy access crit, arching blows too.

Lots of att spd drop mad arrows everywhere.

Storm Rain/EDA/Light Pen/Mirage Archer/Inspiration/Addded light

whatever curse u want

wrath HoT precision

on the other hand, prolly people might make cotb builds maybe idk
Last edited by cavespro on Jul 17, 2021, 12:09:49 AM
I was thinking of doing this with call of the brother hood and trinity support
Following. I'm super interested in this for the next league. But I'm not a good build crafter.
So do you think we can re-arange some ranger's lightning damage based build to Storm Rain? :D I dream about arrow spam with this skill :D
"
cavespro wrote:
Just gonna throw out what I was gonna do. Deadeye +2 proj, 3 mirages. Drop tons of arrows and blow it up. Ride the lightning. Use tempest bow. lethality, primeval force, forces of nature, all the regular easy access crit, arching blows too.

Lots of att spd drop mad arrows everywhere.

Storm Rain/EDA/Light Pen/Mirage Archer/Inspiration/Addded light

whatever curse u want

wrath HoT precision

on the other hand, prolly people might make cotb builds maybe idk

Great idea. Deadeye could be juicy for an endgame optimized version. Raider is better for league starter though.

"
I was thinking of doing this with call of the brother hood and trinity support

I was thinking same thing. However, I think call of brotherhood prob wouldn't the most optimal. Sticking with lightning usually works fine. Trinity though would be juicy.
*dumb question alert*

Why not Volley/Greater Volley or GMP/LMP? With wanting more projectiles and having long arcs wouldn't Volley offer some interesting thoughts?
Here's my idea and just throwing it out there:

Ballista Storm Rain Poison Pathfinder...

I may be off in my calculations, so please let me know any thoughts... but by switching around a High-tier TR build in POE ninja, adding Ballistas (6 in total), and changing a few items (Darkscorn, etc.) I was able to achieve 128k DPS PER poison...

Ballistas w/ Rain of splinters and dying sun have 5 projectiles, and ~3ish APS, which gets ~90 arrows on the ground.

DPS is anyone's guess, however if you assume even 20% of arrows initially "hit" (1/5 arrows seems reasonable) and 30% are hit by a at least 1 chain, that's 60 total poison stacks (Also assuming it shotguns, lots of assumptions but here we are)... or 7.7M DPS for the first second of combat, this of course can scale for ~4 seconds to 36M DPS.

But wait, there's more. Poison stacks spread to enemies using master toxist so the whole map is covered in poison.

You can also set up another 6L since we will be using a bow. Which means you can manually cast storm rain as well! Doubling your DPS when it comes to bosses, etc.

Also, with a built in crit chance of 60% and high rate of attacks, flask charges "should" be pouring in like crazy in a league where they are more difficult to achieve.

https://pastebin.com/E1ete6L
Following this as well
Thinking more arrows and atk spd

How about more conversion to lightning?
More phy atk?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info