Development Stories: Path of Exile 2 Narrative Design Philosophies

Perma Frost Bolt FeelsGoodMan Clap
Armour-Piercing Bolt FeelsGoodMan Clap

Aside from the trailer memes though, PoE has historically had some of the best voice actings I've heard to date in the genre and I can't wait for what's in store for us in PoE2. I still listen to random monologues rather than music during league starts and I'm usually not the lore hunting type in aRPG's but it just sounds so good :')
What I really loved is you slowly through the years building up the world. When I watched the second PoE 2 trailer and gameplay, I know who the Maraketh are but at the same time what I know is very little in hindsight, they are there in the back of my mind. Seeing how you expanded them feels like a very natural process I was in awe and there is this certain sense of familiarity even though most of it is new. The long-term storytelling really paid off, we are on the cusp of the time skip, which in a lot of manga I read is just the beginning of more exciting things to come. I'm really looking forward to things you'll show in the months to come.
I want to know after Grigor!
The morbidness of the cutting down of the bodies at the beginning of Act I and the piles of bodies in Act III on the quest to kill Piety are the worst part of the story line - unnecessary overkill and grating over time. Some of the characters in the story line (like Piety herself) are quite entertaining - Alva is good, Einhar, Niko - I would keep it light and humerous rather than trying to drag us down with the body piles.
I really like where this is going. Every play through will feel much more organic and different each time. As to what should make it into the sequel... I think almost everything after Betrayal feels like a void, that needed to be filled with bland stories and characters, because of newly introduced game mechanics. I would not mind them being put to rest.
The PoE campaign story however, including shaper/elder lore, is very memorable and would surely add to the depth of the sequel with some references, Easter eggs, or appearances of cool NPCs.
I skip all the dialogue and stuff in PoE. This is not because I think it is terribly written or anything like that: It's just because it scrolls so terribly slowly and being forced to spend 3 minutes reading something I could read in 30 seconds if you just showed me the text is excruciating.

It's especially bad when it's not even voice acted. But I also don't want to take 3 minutes to listen to an npc monologuing in a fast paced aRPG.

Basically: Please adopt a better version of giving the players text than the star wars title crawl.
i dont think we need new ACTS. we need endgame grind.

not even trying to open our eyes. still closed.
Last edited by in_hop_in on Apr 24, 2021, 1:23:56 PM
Einhar ofc!
My best friend!
But i don't have nets...
Nice !
Bad Seed
nice
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info