Decoy Totem

"
zharmad wrote:
Personally I'm starting to think this totem is slightly overpowered compared to totem-supports. It is a totem that tanks for you, allowing you to deal full DPS at the cost of a single red socket. Whereas, the other totems don't get +life and don't distract enemies 100%, so you have to tank for them to get them to deal full damage.

I've been trying out ranged-attack totems, and it's been plain difficult to justify switching from decoy or even the nerfed skeleton+spell totem combinations. Most builds can benefit from a decoy totem better than shockwave, flame totem, or a totem-support gem.

Don't disagree with you in principle, but I would have worded it as the others are underpowered (esp. with regard to some +life), not that Decoy is overpowered.
I'm level 26 and I'm in Cruel mode. My totem dies as soon as I cast it.
Last edited by ArchAngelAdam on Nov 1, 2012, 1:57:26 AM
"
ArchAngelAdam wrote:
This Totem is really under powered for my character setup. I'm going for a pure Energy Shield / caster build and I was hoping Decoy would give me some survivability, but after learning that the Totem's life is based on my life
It's not, and never has been. I explained this on the previous page. I have no idea where people get this idea from.

"
ArchAngelAdam wrote:
I'm not sure if all Totems have life based on the caster's life
None of them do, nor have any of them ever done so.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 1, 2012, 12:53:59 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
ArchAngelAdam wrote:
This Totem is really under powered for my character setup. I'm going for a pure Energy Shield / caster build and I was hoping Decoy would give me some survivability, but after learning that the Totem's life is based on my life
It's not, and never has been. I explained this on the previous page. I have no idea where people get this idea from.

"
ArchAngelAdam wrote:
I'm not sure if all Totems have life based on the caster's life
None of them do, nor have any of them ever done so.

Sorry.. I guess thats what I get for reading to the top of page 5 and then stopping :\

I'll just try to figure out some other way to keep packs off of me for the time being.
Just level the totem as far as you can.
I crush(ed) merciless and maps with a decoy totem, while I was a complete glass cannon (bow shadow). It's an awesome tank.

Put the totem behind you until it has enough life to tank at the frontline.
That way melee enemies will move towards the totem when they get close to you, and it will hold longer.
IGN: Iski
It gets better as it levels up, as the bonus Hp stat raises so it actually has more and more hp over other totems. Also if you are trying to use Decoy totem to tank. I'd recommend getting the 2 clusters of totem nodes. Extra health and haveing 2 decoys instead of 1 could make a big difference.
There's a few things with this totem that I dislike.

First, early on it's just too weak, almost everything kills it in one hit.
Second, I think it should pulse right as it's summoned. As it is right now, you cast and and it takes about 2 seconds before he pulse.
Third, some monster abilities ignore the totem (such a flicker strike monsters).
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
There's a few things with this totem that I dislike.

First, early on it's just too weak, almost everything kills it in one hit.
Second, I think it should pulse right as it's summoned. As it is right now, you cast and and it takes about 2 seconds before he pulse.
Third, some monster abilities ignore the totem (such a flicker strike monsters).

Just dont use Decoy totem until you level it a couple of times.

I agree, it should pulse like about 1 sec in but not immediately becaue then it would be sort of OP.

I see Flicker Strike as some sort of aggro dump feature for NPC's..I mean it would be too easy if everything was affected by it right?
Having used this in the one week race, finishing at lvl 77, I would say this totem is pretty much perfect as it, *without quality*. I could see how it would be "OP" with a high quality, but as is I think it does its job perfectly. If it really needs to be adjusted at all, maybe the quality just needs to be changed. Increased cast speed for example, or maybe increased radius.
This totem is ridiculous when you level it up it takes 5 hits or so from bosses, you keep it up and you don't get hit at all, in a party situation it tanks better then any class could.
Steam:Gonejah
Last edited by nugstash on Jan 3, 2013, 12:19:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info