Decoy Totem

I started using Decoy Totem as the main defense tool in Merciless and later when doing maps. My class was Marauder using a bow. Once the totem was cast, for example, when fighting a boss or uniques, I was not endangered anymore until it was destroyed. It usually took the monsters 5 - 10 seconds to destroy it and that's enough time to finish the job from the safe distance. As I understand, the totem life is a % of the caster life and in merciless I had 3,5k life at the end of Act 2 which also meant lots of life for Decoy Totem.

Indeed the engaged by the totem monsters sometimes switch the target, but they do that only for a very short time and then quickly move back to the totem. I think that radiating circles attract them back to it.

I agree the cast delay is not a good solution and I don't like it myself. It is still better compared to how the skill currently works granting too much safety to the player.

Tweaking the monster AI is the solution I'd like to see for that skill. Let's make it purely defensive so that when player attacks the attracted by the totem monsters, they rush towards the attacker and ignore the totem. The totem becomes the secondary target and they ignore it unless player stops attacking for several seconds.
Last edited by Kokoro on Aug 26, 2012, 3:59:16 AM
"
Kokoro wrote:
As I understand, the totem life is a % of the caster life and in merciless I had 3,5k life at the end of Act 2 which also meant lots of life for Decoy Totem.
No, this is not the case, and has never been the case. I have no idea where people get this idea from. The totem has it's own base stats set for the level of the gem that made it.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I have no idea where people get this idea from. The totem has it's own base stats set for the level of the gem that made it.

When I started my ranged char I thought this too. Decoy Totem was pretty lame at low lvl, it only lasts for 1-3 Hits and had a huge cast time (perhaps because I got this strength gem pretty late).
So my conclusion was: "well pretty weak and a strength gem... - probably depends on high life"

=> perhaps it would be more easy to understand if I can see the base life in the skill description.
=> perhaps decoy totem should not be a strength gem. Normally strg based classes dont need a tank(ing skill).

"
Kokoro wrote:

Tweaking the monster AI is the solution I'd like to see for that skill. Let's make it purely defensive so that when player attacks the attracted by the totem monsters, they rush towards the attacker and ignore the totem. The totem becomes the secondary target and they ignore it unless player stops attacking for several seconds.

But why should I use a pure tank skill that doesnt really tank at all? In your system I have to kite anyway...
I dont think this skill is overpowered.
E.g: the "Decoy" skill in D2 (amazon) was similar and even more powerful (more HP, almost no cast time)
Last edited by azraelb on Sep 3, 2012, 4:08:48 PM
My feelings about the skill are:
  • It's current life should be displayed in tooltip to avoid any confusion and weird theories
  • EXP amount required to levelup to 2 is a joke.Almost 10000?Mark,doesn't someone made a mistake there?
  • It would be nice to alter the support gem Minion Life to Minion/Totem Life
Today I tried to combine "Endurance Call" with a "Totem" support gem.

This combination looks like a "Decoy totem" with additional endurance charges.
What is the difference? Does a "Decoy Totem" have more base life than a "Endurance Call Totem"?

If there is no difference (only another gemslot is needed), I think people would prefer "Endurance Call Totem" bcause of its better defence...
After using this totem in the 1-week hardcore race I am under the opinion that this thing is a must-have in any hardcore situation, especially if you are running solo.

The fact that it works on bosses is just icing on the cake. The totem is pretty squishy at first, but once you get it boosted up a few levels it's able to withstand 2-3 hits from most bosses, and is an abouslute tank on normal mobs, even on ruthless. This is with no support gems whatsoever attached to it. Haven't got to test it on merciless yet, having just purchased a key a few days ago, but I should be there soon. Level 47 atm on hardcore.

Every encounter ended up being cast decoy, wait for mobs to group up on it, enduring cry, frenzy, then ground slam until dead, and maybe a warlords mark thrown in if I felt like I needed some extra leech or to recharge my flasks. With Decoy and Leap Slam getting out of a dangerous situation is stupid easy.

It's probably my favorite skill, and the one with the most utility as a marauder. Especially on hardcore.

Edit: When is the next hardcore race? I need my fix!
Last edited by SmoothYogurt on Oct 1, 2012, 6:12:31 PM
"
azraelb wrote:

What is the difference? Does a "Decoy Totem" have more base life than a "Endurance Call Totem"?

If there is no difference (only another gemslot is needed), I think people would prefer "Endurance Call Totem" bcause of its better defence...
The differences, other that one getting endurance charges, are that Decoy Totem is available earlier, and thus has a different level range (and the totems will have different life, as well as the fact that Decoy totem takes 1 slot where Enduring Cry + Totem takes two linked slots.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
azraelb wrote:

The differences, other that one getting endurance charges, are that Decoy Totem is available earlier, and thus has a different level range (and the totems will have different life, as well as the fact that Decoy totem takes 1 slot where Enduring Cry + Totem takes two linked slots.

The Decoy Totem also has more life and armour than other totems (for the level).

Personally I'm starting to think this totem is slightly overpowered compared to totem-supports. It is a totem that tanks for you, allowing you to deal full DPS at the cost of a single red socket. Whereas, the other totems don't get +life and don't distract enemies 100%, so you have to tank for them to get them to deal full damage.

I've been trying out ranged-attack totems, and it's been plain difficult to justify switching from decoy or even the nerfed skeleton+spell totem combinations. Most builds can benefit from a decoy totem better than shockwave, flame totem, or a totem-support gem.

I've just started using this (+16% quality) in Default, will report back how I find it. It'll be alongside my LS Dagger Shadow. I've linked it to a faster cast gem (had a spare blue slot - why not?).

With 16% quality at level 10 it lasts for 23 seconds and has 102% increased totem life.

Petrov.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info