Diablo II: Resurrected

I'm not really interested in D2R.
I don't know why, but at a certain point my passion was gone.
Then Median XL, then D3 and a short time later PoE came into my life.
Well and PoE2 will come in the near future ... that's the way it is :D
"
Bleu42 wrote:
Just spent nearly all weekend on the D2R tech alpha. Holy shit I never thought they could retain the feel of D2 LoD AND give gorgeous lighting and graphics.

This is absolutely what I'll be playing offline / between PoE seasons. The fact I can actually play D2 over twenty years after I first started in full 3440x1440 ultra widescreen is mindblowing.

Pretty much all of this. Cant wait for for final release and all classes. They hit so many good notes. VV is such a great studio.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
ivqancorp wrote:
Is POE done now that D2 is coming back? I am very worried after seeing the trailer.

Classic TBC poses more of a threat to the game, With diablo it's something you can jump into between leagues of PoE, with TBC people are likely to be playing it for months and only barely touching PoE (see if a league is good)

TBC won't dent the POE numbers any more than classic did, maybe a couple of weeks or two at the start. Played a lot of classic wow and you're right, hardly touched POE in that time but I won't be playing TBC even though it was my favourite iteration of wow and I know a lot of other people won't be either. It was fun for a while for the nostalgia factor but people min maxed and streamlined all the fun out of the content. There's absolutely nothing challenging about the content at all.

Also TBC is less demanding on time once you're past the first phase of running heroics for attunements and such, you don't need to fanny around getting world buffs and for the non gold buyers much less time needed to farm consumables.

I also don't think it will make much of a diffrence. after a couple weeks. I play wow more than PoE. but i like them both. Both have ups and downs just like most games. I think PoE will be ok for couple more years till WoLK comes to play. People talk about TBC. but talk more to play WoLK.
Are they changing anything besides the graphics and stash space?
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
Iangyratu wrote:

Given it's a remaster and not a remake, I'd expect very little in the way of gameplay changes. There's your short answer.

Basically, the aim of any good remaster is to make the game look and feel the way we remember it rather than the way it actually is, or has become after years of tech advancement and improvement. A remake, on the other hand, considers what made a game 'good' and builds on that, incorporating what has been learned since, updating the systems, the UI, all that. If a remaster is about recapturing a classic without fixing what isn't broken, a remake is about fulfilling or extending an old game's potential.

There are plenty of D2R videos out there now that the tech alpha weekend is over that compare old and new (with the old running just 'under' the new). I watched a very basic IGN one that still did a good job highlighting the fresh coat of paint to a game that probably doesn't need much else. Should you disagree, you have two decades' worth of ARPG evolution and iteration to enjoy. D2R is squarely aimed at one primary crowd: those who had no qualms with D2's gameplay and would be delighted to revisit it on their current gen PCes or consoles. For me, it'll be a vicarious joy: I'll be playing it on console with a few old school friends overseas who never played the original but have played most console-ported ARPGs. I very much look forward to their reactions to finally getting to play what is still considered by many the pinnacle of ARPG goodness.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Thanks for the answer.

I initially thought that would be only graphics, but then saw the new stash on a stream, so I was wondering if there are other changes.

I've been feeling a huge temptation to play some D2 for a while, so the D2R announcement got me thinking whether it's worth to get it. But then I remembered that I spent majority of my D2 life playing single player mode, which was very fun, but it gets too lonely after short time; then CBN with a few good people I met there, and while it was the first time I had a 'playable character' and was also fun and exciting, it was already when there seemed to be more bots than humans. That was when/where I was told about PoE and checked it, knowing I for sure wouldn't be playing it, because what can be better than D2?! I think I'll install the good ol' D2 for now, and see how things are with D2R after it gets released.

I envy all of you for these juicy memories of various activities in old D2. I haven't experienced most of them and only really had one or two 'playable builds' (lightning Sorc, always lightning Sorc), but D2 still remains one of the greatest games of my childhood and life.
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
D2R slow paced gameplay looks attractive. I really miss it sometimes.
My only gripe about D2R, is with the remake comes the continuation of "balancing changes". And one of the reasons I played D2 for as long as I did was that the game stayed pretty much the same. I could take a 6 month break, come back, and none of my builds were nerfed, etc. With D2R, that's a big, fat, ?.

Are they gonna nerf hammerdins? Or sorc? I have no idea.

Sorc could, and still can kill enemies in hell mode with NO GEAR. Not a single piece. This is one of the reasons I liked running a sorc to start a league, because I could work my way through the content using whatever fisher-price runewords I made in normal difficulty.

So, until I get some sorta context for what direction they're going to go in D2R, I'm going to wait before I buy. If they're going to try to just rebalance the whole game, I think I'll pass. If they're pretty much gonna leave it alone, and just fix bugs on the new version, and ignore the people crying for nerf bats because "sorc too OP, pally too OP", etc, then I'll buy it. When gen Z kiddies come on Bnet calling for nerfs, I'm gonna tell them to leave their dad's game alone, and go play torchlight.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 30, 2021, 7:42:23 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Spoiler
My only gripe about D2R, is with the remake comes the continuation of "balancing changes". And one of the reasons I played D2 for as long as I did was that the game stayed pretty much the same. I could take a 6 month break, come back, and none of my builds were nerfed, etc. With D2R, that's a big, fat, ?.

Are they gonna nerf hammerdins? Or sorc? I have no idea.

Sorc could, and still can kill enemies in hell mode with NO GEAR. Not a single piece. This is one of the reasons I liked running a sorc to start a league, because I could work my way through the content using whatever fisher-price runewords I made in normal difficulty.

So, until I get some sorta context for what direction they're going to go in D2R, I'm going to wait before I buy. If they're going to try to just rebalance the whole game, I think I'll pass. If they're pretty much gonna leave it alone, and just fix bugs on the new version, and ignore the people crying for nerf bats because "sorc too OP, pally too OP", etc, then I'll buy it. When gen Z kiddies come on Bnet calling for nerfs, I'm gonna tell them to leave their dad's game alone, and go play torchlight.

D2R is based on patch 1.14, which includes nerfs or buffs and will likely inlcude future live patches if they eventually drop.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
"
"
Iangyratu wrote:

Given it's a remaster and not a remake, I'd expect very little in the way of gameplay changes. There's your short answer.

Basically, the aim of any good remaster is to make the game look and feel the way we remember it rather than the way it actually is, or has become after years of tech advancement and improvement. A remake, on the other hand, considers what made a game 'good' and builds on that, incorporating what has been learned since, updating the systems, the UI, all that. If a remaster is about recapturing a classic without fixing what isn't broken, a remake is about fulfilling or extending an old game's potential.

There are plenty of D2R videos out there now that the tech alpha weekend is over that compare old and new (with the old running just 'under' the new). I watched a very basic IGN one that still did a good job highlighting the fresh coat of paint to a game that probably doesn't need much else. Should you disagree, you have two decades' worth of ARPG evolution and iteration to enjoy. D2R is squarely aimed at one primary crowd: those who had no qualms with D2's gameplay and would be delighted to revisit it on their current gen PCes or consoles. For me, it'll be a vicarious joy: I'll be playing it on console with a few old school friends overseas who never played the original but have played most console-ported ARPGs. I very much look forward to their reactions to finally getting to play what is still considered by many the pinnacle of ARPG goodness.

Remaster / Remake are very common marketing term

To sum up my experience

Metro 2033: Some gameplay change which somewhat good for the game

AOE II: also some change in AI so that it is good, graphic is good too, have bug fix

Sniper Elite II: What a scam that cost money. No noticeable change except DLC is integrated into the game and 64 bit engine

AOE III: not bought actually, but what i heard there is censorship

Bioshock: It is free

Mafia II: It is also free

Mafia I: It is a remake as i heard / view the trailer

Titan Quest: yet again it is free to the existing owner. Some compliant there is change but i don't experience it

CODMW2: what i heard it is a faithful remake

Halo: Bungie move on to its new IP Destiny and the new team made way too much change in graphic despite map layout is the same. And I really hope they change the gameplay a bit to add the god dam quick safe option instead of old age check point system.....

C&C: the graphic is really really good and the one tab change graphic is also good. But bug somehow carryover

For Diablo 2, they should carry bug fix instead of carry over old bug to make it is "faithful", or they really need to carry skill balance after release (likes after 6 months of release to make the game have a long term future) , but fundamental gameplay change, i think they should not ...
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info