Texture Streaming in Echoes of the Atlas

"
xX999Xx wrote:

GGG messed up the Game EXPERIENCE for all PC users in hope to "cater" to the 10 year old Hardware PC users.

All of this new nonsense made the game FAR WORSE. And there is no damn point to justify that.

These changes need to be reverted ASAP.

I wanted to build a new enthusiast PC as mainly PoE player.

That doesnt even make sense now, because the most powerfull Rigs, also have bad performance at that point.

So congrats: For a mourning 10% playerbase, wich seem can't afford a damn cheap SSD for 40 Dollars or even less,you messed up the game for ALL of us.

And my 4770k CPU and old GPU are by no means a new hardware

2020-2013=7
So congrats: 10% of the player base have been playing for 10 years. Sense is now a myth. I'm poor let's swap lives!
PoW -> Path of Wolcen. Game became unplayable, crashed 10 times in 1 hour for me. I was already not enthusiastic about the new league (lots of things I enjoyed got nerfed) now I’m just gonna take a break and come back when problems are solved, in a week or two hopefully. See if I can find my motivation back after that.
Game is getting worse update after update.
This is note convinving to play more.
Game crashes on its own while during whole 3.12 I had literally about 3-5 crashes. I got that amount in 1 day in 3.13.
REVERSE the update guys.
I hope PoE 2/2.0 will be about optimizing game in the first place because more and more people are starting to hate this game and quit.
the problem is it makes important game objects hard to see, worse, it makes them invisible

how many time i died because an object's texture didn't load in time?

how any time do i have to sit and wait for a legion to load the reward icon so i miss nothing?

and the list goes on...

event game streaming services such as Geforce Now can't keep up anymore

---

please, purchase a PC with the most used hw on steam, and play the game, you'll see what i mean https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

---

i think your strategy is good, BUT, please preload way more stuff at map loading, specially the things nearby the spawn, c'mon!
Last edited by ryuukk33 on Jan 28, 2021, 6:36:12 AM
Good to hear, Im still hoping for a solution to performance issue related to the desecrate visual cloud effect, which was introduced in heist, as well as other graphical performance issue, which seemed to grow worse as heist went along. Keep up the good work, so I will be able to play the game ;D.
"
uroboros wrote:
"
xX999Xx wrote:

GGG messed up the Game EXPERIENCE for all PC users in hope to "cater" to the 10 year old Hardware PC users.

All of this new nonsense made the game FAR WORSE. And there is no damn point to justify that.

These changes need to be reverted ASAP.

I wanted to build a new enthusiast PC as mainly PoE player.

That doesnt even make sense now, because the most powerfull Rigs, also have bad performance at that point.

So congrats: For a mourning 10% playerbase, wich seem can't afford a damn cheap SSD for 40 Dollars or even less,you messed up the game for ALL of us.

And my 4770k CPU and old GPU are by no means a new hardware

2020-2013=7
So congrats: 10% of the player base have been playing for 10 years. Sense is now a myth. I'm poor let's swap lives!

They are saying their hardware is 10 years old, not the game. Duh.
That doesn't really explain why the game is so aggressively culling textures and have to constantly reload things it has already loaded.

To give an example of a frequent thing since last patch:

1) Load into map, portal texture gets loaded ( even though I just came from my HO with that portal open).

2) Play map for 3-5 minutes, nothing else.

3) Open portal, it has to stream the portal textures again

My question is, why were the textures of my portal unloaded? What other things are being unloaded as we play and being constantly reloaded?

You dismiss any performance issues as being unrelated, but wouldn't your client having to constantly "re-stream" textures (which pretty much uses all of a computer's assets: CPU, ram, vram) create performance issues?

Because before 3.13.1, I had about 30 more FPS across the board, now I am dipping in the 40-60fps in "juiced" moments, where lots of abilities are firing, many of which seem to have to reload.
Thank you for addressing the concerns of the community surrounding this and clarifying it somewhat.

I hope that this impending fix will solve the weird behaviour where if you have a full screen menu open, such as the passive tree, if you then close it and go back to the main game, it then stutters and reloads the scene again, or elements of it.
That seems like strange behaviour, or is it part of the intention now?

And is it intended that higher spec PCs who didn't have issues previously will have to use the new method? As it seems to be impacting people such as myself negatively and introducing the stutter and white flashes that the streaming is supposed to fix for low-end users.
Last edited by Converge57 on Jan 28, 2021, 6:48:43 AM
Up to before Heist I could play the game with everything on maximum settings while having 40-60 FPS. For big stuff like 100% delirium etc. I had to tone it down but it was okay.

Now since Heist I have to set the game down to 1280*768 with E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G set to the minimum possible values and use dynamic resolution with a max setting of 30fps or even lower.

The texture streaming killed now everything completely off.
No matter what happens, if its the first time in a map I get up to 5 seconds of a complete hold until stuff is loaded and then I click respawn at checkpoint because I am already dead before seeing anything.

The Patch yesterday made that was already has gone to crap even crappier. Now my game looks like this for quite a while and then everything pops in at once. Yet the stuttering of what is loaded is still there, just the "result" is being postponed

(Specs: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 v3 @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz / NVidia p5000 / 12GB RAM)

GLADLY I found a way to fix this by giving Path of Exile a real time priority for the CPU. While this is something you should NEVER EVER DO, this is the only way I am currently able to play the game at all.

I still don't understand why you don't make this texture streaming just an optional thing until it works. You can't push something like that out which doesn't need a big brain to understand just not works yet.

So I have to risk my hardware to be able to play or die 5-6 times in a map because stuff gets loaded while it already hits me.

You must do something FAST. Not in 1-2 weeks, but now.
Make it optional or take it out again and finish it before you smash it in everyones faces.
TwitchTV: http://www.twitch.tv/akumanotsubasa
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/AkumaNoTsubasa
Please use http://pobb.in for your guides instead of pastebin!
Last edited by AkumaNoTsubasa on Jan 28, 2021, 6:48:10 AM
I'm always really excited about technical improvements under the hut.
Yea texture streaming (firstly and perceivable)was a flop for me. I never felt like i had to wait for long loading times.
But after the first bad impressions which are really noticeable i think to myself, especially with legion encounters, i don't have those short stutters in the beginning anymore.
It definitely got more smooth!
Even so the first impression is bad, because we humans rely on our vision as our sensor No.1.
I hope texture streaming will get better in the future and everyone will profit from it.
For me, i feel like visually it got worse for some scenarios but some stuttering is gone. As i play with a moderate pc (kinda old 4core cpu + gtx1070) i don't have too many problems with performance especially with 1080p and locked 60fps.
I can understand the uproar and hope people with fps problems will profit from texture streaming soon too.
GGG your intentions are right, but the execution is flawed.
Better try stuff like this at the end of a league so it doesn't cause so many problems at the beginning of one.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info