In Echoes of the Atlas we introduced a character called the Envoy, a cryptic character of unknown but distant origin. Today, Senior Narrative Designer, Nick Kolan is going to explore what went into creating the Envoy.

I have talked previously (albeit in vague terms) about our narrative plans for the Atlas, and trying to reestablish a sense of eldritch, unknown horror in Path of Exile's endgame. The Envoy, one of two new characters introduced in Echoes of the Atlas (the other being the Maven), is one of the ways we are injecting some of that horror.

The Envoy's role in Echoes of the Atlas is to initially foreshadow the arrival of the Maven, and specifically warn you of your first upcoming boss encounter where she's present. From both a mechanical and narrative standpoint, it is important that players don't find themselves surprisingly overwhelmed by what the Maven adds to the boss fight. Narratively, however, the Envoy serves a larger purpose of beginning to illustrate, in florid and opaque language, the broader unknown and dangerous universe the Atlas seems to reside in.

We made a few decisions to make the Envoy stand out a little bit when compared to, say, the journals left by the Conquerors. First, his appearances are unpredictable and infrequent. You don't know when he will show up, nor where in a map he may be. He's not an enemy, either -- merely a messenger.

The things he says are also randomised, and are spoken based on proximity rather than player input. When he does show up, unlike nearly every other NPC in Path of Exile, the Envoy's voice plays at a level volume regardless of your distance from him. This was an intentional decision to set him apart, both from other NPCs and the land surrounding him.

The broad intent was to provide interesting, flavourful glimpses of what may lurk beyond the borders of the Atlas. Though these little lore chunks are told nonlinearly, there are actually a few little cohesive stories he is telling, about his own origin and history, that of the Maven, and of several other entities.

But, we also didn't want you to necessarily be hit by a bunch of incomprehensible lore as soon as you meet the Envoy, and wanted to ensure that the sense of discovery and pulling back the veil could be sustained for long enough that you'd be surprised when, a few hundred hours in, you may still find yourself hearing new lore tidbits. So the Envoy's lore is divided into five tiers, with new dialogue added to the pool based on the number of Atlas passives you've unlocked.

An NPC is often made or broken by its voice actor, and in the Envoy's case, Matt Sunderland knocked it out of the park. He struck a balance between distant neutrality and haunting foreshadowing that, when combined with the lovely echoes of certain words layered into the dialogue, really gives the Envoy a tone unlike any other.

The lore the Envoy touches upon hopefully paints a vicious and vengeful universe beginning to bear down upon the visitors to the Atlas -- themes I am sure we will explore more in the future.
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
lore?
Guys, please read the room. The game is still unplayable for so many people because of the texture loading issues. I was personally hoping to see a "what we're working on", to see a lore piece instead is a bit deflating.
Texture fix, please?
I like the Envoy, very interesting lore tbh. Awesome voice lines.

ALSO, I just wanted to say, the amount of new voice lines in the game is INSANE. First off, all of the voice line interactions between the Heist members and the lore from all of the Heist members in the rogue harbour, incredible. THEN, as if that was not enough, now there are awesome voice lines from the Envoy with almost every map AND THEN there are so many voice lines from The Maven, it is actually insane. I have gone through at least 200-300 maps AND STILL hear a new voice line from the Maven each time. And I used to think the Shaper voice lines were amazing (they still are), but this is just on another level in terms of lore in the game via voice lines. I only wish we still had the voice lines from Cavas/Venarius that came with original 3.6 Synthesis which gave background on all the map origins, but what's in the game currently is even better. Fantastic 👍
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Standard>Leagues✨🌀🔰🔶🔷
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Make trade like the Grand Exchange from RuneScape✨🌀🔰🔶🔷

Let us zoom out more. Bring back: 32:9, Heist Alt Quality Gems, Sextants, Gear Enchanting, Prophecy, Perandus, Metamorph, Scourge, Sentinel, Kalandra & Crucible. Stop removing content from the game.
Last edited by MLGonthorian on Jan 24, 2021, 6:08:01 PM
From one perspective Envoy's purpose is to introduce player to new mechanics and what is coming, but from another perspective, why Envoy is interested in telling those messages to the player? Why he cares?

Edit:

This whole Atlas thing isnt very clear. Is it another dimension/universe? Multiverse? It cant be the same universe where we live, because maps abide to different rules, right?

Also, both Elder and Maven arent some primordial beings born in the vacuum of space. From the way they are visually shown, they have culture, technology, craftmanship - Wearing clothes, jewellery and trinkets. Similar to human civilization. Tho i might be wrong here, havent seen all the lore given by Envoy.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Jan 24, 2021, 6:12:36 PM
Eldritch has had a bit of a sour taste for me after being overused with the boring vanilla Chtulu jank in so many games but the take in Path of Exile seems novel and interesting.

I'm subtly unsettled with the otherplace:y ambience around of the Maven, totally not the sophisticated eloquent lady type villain I expected from the initial visuals.

The Envoy indeed grounds Wraeclast and the entities in a vaster and ungraspable universe, I'm chuffed to see where this is going.
This layered, long tale of lore is a wonderful trend in games that know how many hours players can spend in them. Hades by Supegiant also has an amazing, best-in-class narrative style like this and I am excited to see how GGG leans into more storytelling!
What up exiles?
My friend owns an Envoy
Saved

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info