Game Balance in Path of Exile: Echoes of the Atlas

"
Lottzal wrote:
I usually don't write at POE forum. But all the comments about the 'undoing' of the 'funny' build made me reply.

There are no 'boring' builds. You will see that people that claims about the nerfs, refer to a build that has been copied thousands, a myriad of times.

Try to build around a skill or item that hasn't been seen and maybe you don't get... 'bored'.

One of my best builds is about dominating blow. Other, about frost blades (without shield neither dual wield). Even now, I am still dreaming about my personal version of Infernal Blow with Cast on Melee Kill, Detonate Dead.

But when I join public parties, what do we see? Same POE builds again and again. All copied from streamers. Once I showed my infernal blow build and people, interested in it because of clear speed, didn't even recognize the skill.

INFERNAL BLOW!

-What? That is not cyclone!
-Meh, you even have to AIM enemies.
-It has no spectres.

Have fun.

Why does it matter what other people do or choose to play? Does it directly affect you when people copy streamer builds? The multiplayer in this game sucks anyhow so to me its mostly a solo game.
"
Vaildez wrote:

Why does it matter what other people do or choose to play? Does it directly affect you when people copy streamer builds? The multiplayer in this game sucks anyhow so to me its mostly a solo game.

His entire point is that streamers invest so much into builds to make them OP, and then the builds become popular and GGG then nerfs those skills, which then affects those of us "casuals" who use those skills in non-OP builds.

i.e. the 0.1% of the POE population is causing nerfs to 99.9% of the population because GGG is basing balance on that 0.1%'s gameplay/build capability.

If I could (or desired to) make a gameplay video, I'd show you what *real* POE gameplay is like, and I assure you it looks nothing like the elite streamer's videos with literally more than 1 screen of monsters exploding per mouse click, and the toughest uber bosses dying in under 3 seconds.
"
Lottzal wrote:
I usually don't write at POE forum. But all the comments about the 'undoing' of the 'funny' build made me reply.

There are no 'boring' builds. You will see that people that claims about the nerfs, refer to a build that has been copied thousands, a myriad of times.

Try to build around a skill or item that hasn't been seen and maybe you don't get... 'bored'.

One of my best builds is about dominating blow. Other, about frost blades (without shield neither dual wield). Even now, I am still dreaming about my personal version of Infernal Blow with Cast on Melee Kill, Detonate Dead.

But when I join public parties, what do we see? Same POE builds again and again. All copied from streamers. Once I showed my infernal blow build and people, interested in it because of clear speed, didn't even recognize the skill.

INFERNAL BLOW!

-It has no spectres.

Have fun.

Have you ever stopped to think why players keep doing the same builds over and over and over again, copied from streamers or top tier players? Because the whole "build diversity" thing is an illusion. Just a handful of builds can handle real end-game content, such as A8 Sirus, t19 100% deli double/triple beyond maps and stuff.

Fun is subjective, but most players find their fun in farming real end-game content, and we both know you can't do that with any build, the ones you mentioned for example, not viable.

And this is the problem you are not seeing here.
Last edited by Tobiasbr on Jan 12, 2021, 1:35:44 PM
"
Tobiasbr wrote:
"
Lottzal wrote:

INFERNAL BLOW!

-It has no spectres.

Have fun.

Have you ever stopped to think why players keep doing the same builds over and over and over again, copied from streamers or top tier players? Because the whole "build diversity" thing is an illusion. Just a handful of builds can handle real end-game content, such as A8 Sirus, t19 100% deli double/triple beyond maps and stuff.

Fun is subjective, but most players find their fun in farming real end-game content, and we both know you can't do that with any build, the ones you mentioned for example, not viable.

And this is the problem you are not seeing here.

Of course, the problem YOU are not seeing here, is that you're talking about what maybe 5% of the player base wants. 95% of players never make it to red maps, and virtually any build can do red maps with a little bit of work.
As an aurastacker, a nerf was expected, and deserved. However, a few of these nerfs are excessive, and show that the team is out of touch with their top end players. It's been said many times on this forum already that aurastacking is for the top 1% of players, the cost to entry is typically 5x a normal build to even clear red maps, and gave us top-end players something to keep grinding for. So I'm going to take a little bit of a different direction.

Without talking about how the Heist mechanics were some of the worst in history and nullified every other segment of the game, the main point of Heist was to LOOT and to NOT DIE. Aurastacking quickly became popular because 1) heists were disproportionately profitable, 2) required a fair amount of investment, and 3) needed a character that could reliably clear the content without worry of a single shot deleting all your hard work. Without this content in the game, as well as more limited supply of alternate gems in future leagues, aurastacking would still be a top-end build, but not something that was as popular to the masses. Softcore players don't care about losing xp when they die... but losing loot is a whole other feel bad, and we'll invest as much as needed to make sure that doesn't happen.

But, like I said, a nerf was expected and I think the team got it half right.

1) Nerf to alternate quality gems: These were absolutely broken. Even if GGG halved the amount of stats provided, they would still be fantastic. That said, if you're nerfing aura effect %, that is already a significant nerf to these amounts and should be taken into consideration. To nerf both is to completely remove a segment of the trade-league market as these alternate quality gems are no longer worth the investment. Regrading lenses are far less useful, and there are no more "chase" gems to get excited about.

2) Nerf to the cluster aura effect %: This could have used a nerf, but the team went too far on the top-end. The amount of time and investment... let alone game knowledge, to earn a i84 cluster jewel was substantial. Not only did you have to understand how the delirium mechanic works, you had to have master missions stockpiled, your atlas explored, correct Sirus watchstones socketed, be able to clear i84 content (which even on a lower-end aurastacker is difficult), and strategically loot to vendor recipe to increase your chances. The difference between a i83 and i84 cluster now with Replenishing, and First is going to be minimal and no longer a chase item, again, reducing "chase" items in the end game.

3) I'm not a deep delver, but seeing how the replica Nebulis made for an incredibly niche build-around was pretty cool. Capping the build's potential, again, reduces the chase aspect of a replica Nebulis, as well as reduces the demand for corrupted Thread of Hopes. This was the first time since Thread was introduced to the game where it was actually fun to divine and corrupt for that 1% chance it would be GG. Again, more chase items are removed from the game.

Hate on aurastackers as much as you want, but at least the build took an immense amount of game knowledge, was built around difficult to acquire chase items, and actually PLAYED all the content in the game.

Nerfing Carrion Golems (although a little much), was called for. That allowed players to AFK the game, which breaks what an action-rpg is all about. A build that can AFK should never be allowed in the game. Aurastackers were never that abusive, and even though overpowered, should not have had the same treatment to completely remove hundreds of hours of players' time grinding to make these builds. Aurastackers not only played the game... but played all content of the game. Where I would normally have specific mapping, bossing, delving, etc... characters, I was able to accomplish everything on my single aurastacker. And even though it was more expensive than all 3 alternative builds combined, gave me a freedom to complete whatever content I wanted, any time I wanted. I'm sure we're still going to have a few aurastackers next league, but it will be a mirror+ investment for a middle-tier build.

The TLDR is that aurastackers deserved a nerf, but to remove a build that actually PLAYS the game, and inspired a multitude of chase items just hurts the endgame potential. If the end game for GGG is to have Headhunter as THE chase item, and build investments to cap out at less that 100ex for 99% efficiency, then that's about where we ended up.
Last edited by Coreyzano on Jan 12, 2021, 2:20:00 PM
"
onlinegamer1 wrote:
"
Vaildez wrote:

His entire point is that streamers invest so much into builds to make them OP, and then the builds become popular and GGG then nerfs those skills, which then affects those of us "casuals" who use those skills in non-OP builds.

i.e. the 0.1% of the POE population is causing nerfs to 99.9% of the population because GGG is basing balance on that 0.1%'s gameplay/build capability.

If I could (or desired to) make a gameplay video, I'd show you what *real* POE gameplay is like, and I assure you it looks nothing like the elite streamer's videos with literally more than 1 screen of monsters exploding per mouse click, and the toughest uber bosses dying in under 3 seconds.

Agreed and the biggest problem with streamers is that they do this as full-time job, so making changes based on their op builds isn't good idea.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit upset with those changes to (noob friendly)necro, but i have no tears for aura-stackers
GGG: I am here to kick your dog and punch your mom in the stomach.
Congrats GGG first time I've been made to feel like i wont miss anything fun when I dont play new league. Time for more Grimm Dawn.

P.S My wallet and bank account will also be pleased.

edit fixed spelling of bank
Last edited by NLaw on Jan 12, 2021, 3:08:12 PM
Uhm... nerfing Replica Nebulis, item used only on one specific build. You've just killed one out of four deep delve builds (not sure about brand assassin, cause now movement speed gap between assa and deadeye is even bigger). You'd better just delete it from game instead of leaving couple alchemy shards, cause now it's completely useless. Btw - aura stacker seems to be just fine, at least till patchnotes, but don't think anything will change in that case. Strenght stack Alberon's are also fina, just a 35% dps loss, not a big deal.
Signed
Vermyn
Last edited by Vermyn on Jan 12, 2021, 2:54:32 PM
I really dont understand why they keep hitting ED/Contagion.
I always liked this as a starter, even before it became "meta".
It never had good single target, and even with insane investment it was surpassed by many, many builds even way cheaper ones.

The only really good things about it is Trickster's survivability and its clearspeed. So what does GGG do? Not change the mechanic to make it do less damage for each "proliferation" for example, or give the hit of ED more damage for single target while nerfing ED/Cont interaction.
No, its nefing the only things this build is good at. Less damage reduction for trickster, less spell dodge, less early game damage, and less end game damage as if ED was the crazy damage dealer all along.
And why? Because its too "meta". Because too many people use the skill. Its an amazing league starter, of course many players will use it, and many new ones as well.

Nerfing minions and aura stackers is totally understandable, but ED/C was never this crazy that it needs those constant nerfs every other league. I never felt overpowered and while it made leveling really enjoyable it was definitely a struggle late game. For me personally, those nerfs are just taking fun out of the game, not balancing it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info