A Brief History of the Atlas Lore

I think that is a reworked Scion because nobody is playing her O-o :D
Always nice to read Nick's explanation on lore.
I like t atlas but t wachstones r pain, hope u get rid of them..
"There is only one true god in PoE and that is Greed... "

I don’t need anger management, I need people to stop pissing me off!
"
SatosPoE wrote:
"
Schnarrchnase wrote:
Spoiler
I don't know, man.
I appreciate your efforts, I really do. But it just doesn't feel nice to play for me personally.

The Atlas just isn't fun for me, which leads to me quitting a league after one week, in which I just play, on average, five characters through the acts and start the next one.
Most map layouts are annoying to run. Many maps require specific build types to feel good. And on top of all that, I can't even chose which map to run, because the "entry ticket" is a random drop.
And I still don't fully understand the new Atlas System either. I do it just like the guides say, just like people explain it to me, but I am not getting into the next tier of maps after slotting my first Orb into the Atlas. It might just again be, because of terrible RNG.

My biggest hope for at least 4.0 is an alternative to mapping for endgame. On that note, I really enjoyed the Endless Delve Event. It just had way too much RNG involved for my taste, which made 60hrs of pure grinding for gear feel pointless, since I didn't get a single usefull item. Not one.

I would even like to see some sort of Arena.
I imagine it something like this:
- Talk to NPC.
- chose a certain type of region you would like to run. Be it something like "linear areas", or "undead habitants".
- request to enter (for a price, if necessary). A portal to a random area (maps, act regions, boss rooms - as long as it fits the chosen type) opens.
- Defeat a set % of monsters in the region to open a portal to the next area.
- before every 10th area (9, 19, 29, 39, etc.) you land in a small room with vendor, stash, Arena NPC. You can either leave or request to challange a random act or map boss. Every 50th area it will be one of the big bosses like shaper, elder, sirus, aul, conquerours, etc.
- After every boss fight you get to add one more type to the pool, which then increases the chance to get better loot. (maybe 2.5 to 5%.). Also monsters gain the usual % increase to hp, attack and such. Just like map mods, basically.

Pretty much an endgame system, which would allow me to just chain areas, which I enjoy running, one after another. Without having to go and find the map for it first, which basically disables me from ever getting into the tunnel vision I like to have when playing games. If that makes sense to you, the reader.

Well, uhm.. sorry for this wall of text. I just felt like typing this out. I haven't slept much and had to distract myself for a while.
if you read it, thanks for investing your time. If you have unanswered negative feelings about this, go ahead and roast me all you want. I can take it! Otherwise I wouldn't press "submit" right now.

How would you feel about maps that aren't consumed?
Like...permanent, reusable, craftable, tradable maps?

I know several people have similar experiences as you.

Both of that sounds good.

- - -
@ GGG: What would also be really cool is if you allowed ANY tier of map to progress the conqueror progression again like it was at the beginning.
Right now white and yellow maps are pretty much worthless once reaching and sustaining high tier red maps. Back then they had value to just spam them quickly to spawn the conquerors, at the price of not getting any of the good drops that red maps yield - which was a fun tradeoff
Come on, release it already :D
Cyberpunk 2077 already flopped!
"
tedbear2009 wrote:
"
Pshaurk wrote:
"
MLGonthorian wrote:
"Brief history"? Hello? Synthesis? That was a huge part of "history" for the Atlas you can't erase what you've made others experience. It's a part of the lore AND history now, whether you removed it from the game or not.

Synthesis was the best league creatively, artistically etc. It had a really good mystery/endgame feel to it and I hope they bring it back. Some simplification of the Synthesizer and it would be perfect alternate endgame that weaves into the story

100% agree.

200% agree.
"We also want to inject more story into regular mapping with an element of unpredictability."

Why unpredictability ? as player i think there no frustrating things ...
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
tedbear2009 wrote:

100% agree.

200% agree.

0% agree.
"Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile." -unknown
"The Emperor beckons and the world attends." -Izaro
"Shine boldly so that all may find you when the night falls." -Izaro
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
The Conqueror's atlas is one of the big reasons why I have not played PoE this year, I just did not like maneuvering across the map system with that method. I actually missed the first two iteration of the map system that kept me hooked to the game either in leagues or permanent standard.

Edit: I hope the next atlas system feels almost like atlas of worlds and war for the atlas and continue to improve it from there.

I...I think Im in love!!!
Looks like Sirus and his Pepega-Group will 'soon' leave the Atlas and make room for new endgame content.

Soon is in quotes as i dont expect it to happen sooner than 3-4 leagues from now on.

This would put it in line with War of the Atlas narration which lasted about 2 years (december 2017 - december 2019).
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Dec 30, 2020, 5:10:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info