[Old Thread] CoC Ball Lightning Ascendant

"
N0esy wrote:

I haven't done any math here, but I just found an interesting thread: https://fr.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2257220

I think the analysis isn't that complicated. Barrage's attacking time (when projectiles are actually fired) is just 60% of your attack time. And the projectiles all fire within that attack time.

So your single projectile attack time would be:
ATK_TIME = 0.6*(1/APS)/NUM_PROJ

e.g.: 0.6*(1/2.94)/7 = 0.029sec

You also need to take into account the 40% downtime at the beginning of each attack, which seems like the biggest bottleneck. Again using your APS from PoB:

DOWN_TIME = 0.4*(1/APS) = 0.4*(1/2.94) = 0.13sec

So 1 'cycle' of your barrage = 0.13sec of downtime, followed by 0.204sec of attacks. Assuming cooldown of 0.1sec for each spell, you'll cast your first one on the first hit, second one on the second hit, then have to wait a few projectiles before the cooldown comes up. You probably don't get more than 2 casts per spell per cycle.

Let's say you timed your ATK_TIME to be 0.05 (= 20 'real' aps for double spell COC cooldown). Your optimal APS would be 0.6*(1/0.05)/7 = 1.714. You'd have 0.233sec of downtime followed by 0.35sec of attacks. You'd get 4 procs of one spell and 3 procs of the other. So 7 total casts vs 4 in the previous case... but your downtime also goes up by 1.8 times. So even timing this 'optimally' doesn't increase your overall DPS (7 casts * 1.714APS ~= 12 casts per second, 4 casts * 2.94APS ~= 12 casts per second). Plus getting locked into a barrage for a longer period of time probably feels bad.

So you can probably safely increase your APS until DOWN_TIME approaches your cooldown time... which doesn't seem very likely to reach anyway.
Well, I just realized that the thread was not on point.

First, because of the spread of barrage, not all projectiles hit the same target. When I fire barrage in my hideout, some projectiles miss hydrosphere (without volley fire of course).
Second, some barrage projectiles hit the target directly while others hit hydrosphere first and then chain into the target, making some delay. This doesn't happen if you click right on top of the target, but in a chaotic fight like the feared invitation, you often can't do that.
Finally, I may be crazy, but I don't think wand barrage projectiles fly in a straight line! So... I suspect that the fire rate of barrage and the hit rate of barrage are different.
"
N0esy wrote:
Well, I just realized that the thread was not on point.

First, because of the spread of barrage, not all projectiles hit the same target. When I fire barrage in my hideout, some projectiles miss hydrosphere (without volley fire of course).
Second, some barrage projectiles hit the target directly while others hit hydrosphere first and then chain into the target, making some delay. This doesn't happen if you click right on top of the target, but in a chaotic fight like the feared invitation, you often can't do that.
Finally, I may be crazy, but I don't think wand barrage projectiles fly in a straight line! So... I suspect that the fire rate of barrage and the hit rate of barrage are different.

I think with volley fire you can kind of guarantee at least 2 procs per 'cycle' (the first and last attacks of the barrage should have some direct hit). But yes with chaining and enemies moving, the timing is not at all predictable. Just increasing attack speed to reduce the downtime from windup should guarantee the most procs possible. 2 spell + 52% CDR probably helps too - with multiple enemies, hydrosphere, and some RNG you really could hit 15-20 casts per second.

Wand projectile visuals are kinda wonky (looks cool I guess) but I don't think they hitbox with the entire squiggle. I just played around in hideout with hydrosphere and when you get the super exaggerated side to side squiggles they don't appear to impact it. Could be wrong tho.
Just rerolled to this build a couple days ago, Killed my first A9. Not pretty and need some big damage upgrades, but was fun.
Hi, Im kinda following ur build but struggling on the damage at the moment.

Kindly check my pastebin : https://pastebin.com/2qg90yP0
Last edited by jhamezsky on Aug 21, 2021, 5:50:52 PM
Hi,

any suggestion as to what i could upgrade next? I just tanked Feared invitation and i feel it was because i didnt have enough damage to take care of the bosses quick enough.

Last edited by broncean on Aug 21, 2021, 6:39:10 PM
"
jhamezsky wrote:
Hi, Im kinda following ur build but struggling on the damage at the moment.

Kindly check my pastebin : https://pastebin.com/2qg90yP0

1. Your shock nova gem is still level 19. Buy a regular 21/0 gem and use it. The alternate quality is nice but not worth it even if it's 20/20.
2. Your sceptre has nice mods but the base is not good unfortunately. You need a sceptre with higher aps.
3. Your jewels (both regular ones and clusters) can be improved.
"
broncean wrote:
Hi,

any suggestion as to what i could upgrade next? I just tanked Feared invitation and i feel it was because i didnt have enough damage to take care of the bosses quick enough.

Your gear is very good, and there is not much room to improve from here. One thing I noticed is your flasks. Bottled faith looks nice on PoB, but are you sure it has full uptime? Your belt don't have the flask charge on crit mod either. I think you'll have more overall dps if you replace bottled faith with a diamond flask with a crafted crit mod because of its uptime. Also, you should drop taste of hate because it gives 50% cold resist and makes the wise oak kinda useless. I forgot to mention this (sorry for that), but you need a lot of uncapped lightning res to use taste of hate. Maybe you should replace taste of hate with a diamond flask because bottled faith is strong even if your crit chance is capped without it.

So, my suggestion is to change your flask setup and maybe to craft a new belt with the flask mod. Hope it helps.
Last edited by N0esy on Aug 23, 2021, 9:47:51 AM
i'm doing akane's miner with scion at l93 now, just dropped a mirror, its worth 220ex+, thinking of running this build. hh is like 90ex, can it all fit in the budget now?
bitch about a niche game? lol.
each new league is a circus of nerfs and buffs.
where is the element of fun in discovering the unknown in this game?
Hi guys if you interested this strong build I'm selling my Min max version
all items icluded https://pastebin.com/drhf2Y1X

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info