[Old Thread] CoC Ball Lightning Ascendant

"
N0esy wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm playing this build in 3.15. At the moment, I have a bit over 2M Shaper DPS, 6.1k life, and capped block. I don't think this is that good considering the amount of investment (about 20ex), but it can at least do most contents in the game like Sirus, Simulacrum, Shaper/Elder guardian invitations, etc. The build can scale a lot more with more investment.

I'm hesitant to update this guide because the budget to do all content would be like 50ex, which is too high for most players. If you want me to update this guide, please leave a comment. I'll update the guide if 3 or more people are interested.

Hi N0esy, played the assassin version of your build in my 2nd league and have had a fondness for the build since then. Thank you for putting it together and getting it out there.

After some fits and starts to this league with finding a skill I enjoy mapping and bossing with I decided to start up on your Scion version.

The leveling tree has worked out great.

Since I didn't see a third vote to update the guide, I decided I would be the third vote to say please update your guide. The cost may be somewhat high, but it gives me something to shoot for.

Since Blade Blast no longer gives Unnerve on hit what would you recommend for the that gem slot?
"
cirerrek wrote:
"
N0esy wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm playing this build in 3.15. At the moment, I have a bit over 2M Shaper DPS, 6.1k life, and capped block. I don't think this is that good considering the amount of investment (about 20ex), but it can at least do most contents in the game like Sirus, Simulacrum, Shaper/Elder guardian invitations, etc. The build can scale a lot more with more investment.

I'm hesitant to update this guide because the budget to do all content would be like 50ex, which is too high for most players. If you want me to update this guide, please leave a comment. I'll update the guide if 3 or more people are interested.

Hi N0esy, played the assassin version of your build in my 2nd league and have had a fondness for the build since then. Thank you for putting it together and getting it out there.

After some fits and starts to this league with finding a skill I enjoy mapping and bossing with I decided to start up on your Scion version.

The leveling tree has worked out great.

Since I didn't see a third vote to update the guide, I decided I would be the third vote to say please update your guide. The cost may be somewhat high, but it gives me something to shoot for.

Since Blade Blast no longer gives Unnerve on hit what would you recommend for the that gem slot?

Hi, thanks for the comment and the third vote. I'll update the guide in a few days. In the meantime, you can always check my character "DefinitelyNotTotem".
I dropped blade blast and vaal RF and socketed leap slam - faster casting. After the nerf to flasks, your quicksilver flask is not always up, and the extra movement skill helps you to run maps quickly.
Noesy,

I noticed someone recently made a forbidden rite build with similar gear and tree. This led me to believe that the forbidden rite is just as powerful and we don't have to worry about enemies resistance.
Done editting. I think there are alot of mistakes, so feel free to point them out.

"
ryukenden wrote:
Noesy,

I noticed someone recently made a forbidden rite build with similar gear and tree. This led me to believe that the forbidden rite is just as powerful and we don't have to worry about enemies resistance.

Forbidden rite has a great potential but it has some weakness too. The delayed damage is one of them, and it's especially bad for CoC cyclone builds because you run into monster packs but can't kill them fast enough.
"
N0esy wrote:
Done editting. I think there are alot of mistakes, so feel free to point them out.

Updates look good and clear to me!

The only thing I disagree with conceptually is viridi's veil/curse immunity.

With the changes to map mod curses not having % increased effect, I find them mostly to be a joke. I have 30% reduced curse effect on one ring and don't worry about them on everything up to and including shaper/elder guardian invites. For feared or breach invites I would reroll, but you want to be careful about mods on those anyway.

With two catalysted curse effect rings and pantheon you should be able to ignore curses anyway. I feel like you are missing out on ton of potential DPS from helm and ring slot. The +2 gems is nice for enlighten but do you really have mana problems?
"
efun wrote:
"
N0esy wrote:

Updates look good and clear to me!

The only thing I disagree with conceptually is viridi's veil/curse immunity.

With the changes to map mod curses not having % increased effect, I find them mostly to be a joke. I have 30% reduced curse effect on one ring and don't worry about them on everything up to and including shaper/elder guardian invites. For feared or breach invites I would reroll, but you want to be careful about mods on those anyway.

With two catalysted curse effect rings and pantheon you should be able to ignore curses anyway. I feel like you are missing out on ton of potential DPS from helm and ring slot. The +2 gems is nice for enlighten but do you really have mana problems?

Hi, thanks for the comment.

I agree that the curse map mods are not that dangerous anymore. Still, curses cast by enemies are yet to be nerfed. Silence is especially dangerous, and it can't be countered by the "reduced curse effect" mod. You can use a jewel with "you cannot be silenced", but then you'll lose some damage because the jewel won't have 2 or more crit multi mods.

+2 level to enlighten is useful. Without it, you have to spend 2 passive points on "4% reduced reservation" nodes, which means you'll lose about 6% of your damage (assuming you can get 3% more damage per passive point). This is because CWDT support has insane mana multiplier. Combined with the fact that you get 3-4% more damage from +2 to level of the aura gems, the helm effectively gives you 10% more damage, which isn't too bad.

In the end, it's a question of more offense vs more defense. I understand that some people like to get more offense by sacrificing some defense. But I always prioritize defense over offense because my goal is to level my characters to 98-100, and even a tiny chance of dying in a map is unacceptable.

I'll edit the guide to make it clear that a well-crafted rare helmet will give you more damage.
"
N0esy wrote:

In the end, it's a question of more offense vs more defense. I understand that some people like to get more offense by sacrificing some defense. But I always prioritize defense over offense because my goal is to level my characters to 98-100, and even a tiny chance of dying in a map is unacceptable.

My internet sucks too bad to get above level 96 comfortably by myself (only hit 98 on the league with insane harbinger XP in valdos). But I do appreciate making the character as tanky as possible. I haven't had a death to silence... I guess I just spam my curse flask enough that it gets removed.

As far as mana goes, in my latest higher DPS mode I actually swapped out inc duration for inspiration on my CWDT IC because I only sit around 55 unreserved mana. I only hear 'out of mana' about once every couple hours but my cyclone costs 0 and I don't have the trigger on weapon stuff to worry about either.

Did you consider assassin's mark as second curse to be able to swap crit strikes gem? From what I remember when I swapped over it was more damage as long as you can cap melee crit. But might require a different glove corruption implicit.
"
efun wrote:

Did you consider assassin's mark as second curse to be able to swap crit strikes gem? From what I remember when I swapped over it was more damage as long as you can cap melee crit. But might require a different glove corruption implicit.

If you use bottled faith, you can get more damage by replacing elemental weakness and increased crit chance support with ass mark and lightning pen support.

The problem is:
1) Bottled faith uses 40 charges. If you can kill bosses before running out of the flask charges, you probably don't need bottled faith in that fight in the first place.
2) Because I'm using a magic ring, I can use only 1 shaper ring. The ring should have life, life gain on hit, an open prefix to craft -mana cost, and accuracy. It is hard to craft a ring with "ass mark on hit" on top of all of them.

Another interesting, and probably stronger build idea is to use Leadership's Price.

Brittle gives you +15% to attack/spell crit chance and trivialize capping them. I think you'll have more damage by using this amulet, but I did't use it because I had to change every piece of gear to use it.

I'm playing a wander CoC build right now, and Leadership's Price is working very nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv5fMmgY1BI
Last edited by N0esy on Aug 16, 2021, 4:00:26 AM
"
N0esy wrote:

I'm playing a wander CoC build right now, and Leadership's Price is working very nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv5fMmgY1BI

Nice damage, I saw that build on your profile so cool to see it in action. Could totally see a 15/20aps double spell raider cyclone CoC working with leadership's price.

For barrage do you do any aps calc or just assume it's going crazy fast?
"
efun wrote:

For barrage do you do any aps calc or just assume it's going crazy fast?

I haven't done any math here, but I just found an interesting thread: https://fr.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2257220
Last edited by N0esy on Aug 16, 2021, 10:54:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info