Path of Exile: Heist Balance Manifesto

"
halloweendm wrote:
So, basically nerf everything that people like because they figured out a better way to do things than the developers and boost things people don't like because the developers do like them and want everyone to do things their way?

It’s a very simple philosophy: Do something new. Better yet realize that half these “nerfs” are doing nothing more than removing previously applied buff and making the skill on par with where it was at before. The other half will likely have new mechanics making the skill too OP without the nerf or enjoyed said OP state for a single league and now require a nerf.

Yeah...if anyone exploiting any of the announced nerfs didn’t expect the nerfs, then they are too ignorant of GGG’s MO. Heck, everything is still going to be used heavily, just not META.
I just read through this entire thread, all 48 pages (thus far) of it, and almost every comment I've read here complaining about, belittling, and insulting those who are expressing their dissatisfaction with the nerfs, involves an attack against a strawman argument.

Despite the claims of the sycophants, very few of the complaints about the nerfs have been complaints about GGG breaking people's pet builds. Very few of the complaints have been about damage nerfs. I've only seen exactly one complaint which could arguably be said to argue against nerfing something OP.

The vast majority of the actual complaints have been about defensive nerfs, followed by complaints about making leveling (the thing we have to get through just to get to the real content) suck more than it already does.

These are fair and legitimate complaints.

Even moderately effective defenses are already difficult and expensive to acquire; just compare prices on equivalent items with and without non-negligible amounts of chaos res (it easily increases the cost by an order of magnitude or more), and while really good chaos res wasn't always essential, it's definitely become so over the past couple of years. Resistances alone also don't cut it, you need other forms of damage mitigation/avoidance and ehp recovery as well. Any one of those defensive stats on their own might be fairly easy to acquire, but in the combinations required to provide anything remotely resembling an effective set of defensive layers it's going to be extremely costly in both skill points and gear (which ultimately requires a lot of time and luck whether you trade for it or self-farm and craft). And that doesn't even factor in that you also need to get damage on both your passives, which is a very limited resource, and on your gear, which makes it that much more expensive to acquire.

Then, even if you manage to focus so heavily on defense to the exclusion of damage that it'd take you six hours to kill Shaper, if you're not playing one of the actually broken immortal builds, you still get one-shot or hit by massive DoTs which may as well be one-shots almost constantly, half the time because you killed something, the other half of the time because you didn't.

That is not fun gameplay, it's a fucking chore, and it drives a great many of us away from the game every league, long before we really even explore all the new content. The last time I actually had enough fun playing the game that I stuck around for 36+ challenges was Legacy league, but the game was a hell of a lot more fun back then than it is now.

Oh, and of course before you even get to any of the real content with your actual build and start actually gearing, you have to wade through the shit-tier leveling experience, which GGG just keeps making more rippy, more mazy, and just overall more miserable.
Fairgraves was a slave trafficker specialized in the kidnapping and transport of children. He was not "a good man".
nice
Another nerf to survivability? GGG you assholes never learn, did you.
Nerf means "Die faster"..
"

That is not fun gameplay, it's a fucking chore, and it drives a great many of us away from the game every league, long before we really even explore all the new content. The last time I actually had enough fun playing the game that I stuck around for 36+ challenges was Legacy league, but the game was a hell of a lot more fun back then than it is now.

Oh, and of course before you even get to any of the real content with your actual build and start actually gearing, you have to wade through the shit-tier leveling experience, which GGG just keeps making more rippy, more mazy, and just overall more miserable.

Couldn't agree more.
presently frustrated PS4-player
"
Dan1986 wrote:
You don't get it do you? Games are supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable.

Are they, though? Are ball games like soccer, football, basketball, baseball and many more relaxing for the players? Not really. Are competitive games or gamemodes like ranked in CS:GO, League of Legends, Overwatch, Starcraft (2) etc. relaxing? Nope. And what about games like Sekiro, Nioh, Dark Souls, Dead Cells and others, are they relaxing? Also no.

Not all players get their enjoyment out of relaxing games. Many players need tension, action and/or competition to make a game enjoyable to play, and there are games for everyone. You cannot just say "games are supposed to be this and that" since different kind of games are fun and enjoyable to different kind of players.

"
Dan1986 wrote:
Nerfs are the opposite.

Again, that depends on the player. Some players just use certain skills because they are strong, not because they are fun. They would rather use different skills but feel like they would cripple their character if they did that.
For example, if you wanted to play a Witch with an elemental spell as your main damage source, Elementalist would be a fitting choice... but only in terms of the name, since Necromancer would give you more damage and better survivability.

In addition, nerfs are the logical choice if only a few skills are causing an issue by being too strong. Otherwise you would have to buff hundreds of other skills, mobs and bosses for the same result.

"
Dan1986 wrote:
It's also a time investment for some of us - not everyone can play endlessly and then just restart whenever a new league begins.

Just play standard if you don't have the time to play the leagues.
Good thing other folks don't get to decide how I want to enjoy the game.
This game is neither a team sport, nor a one on one deathmatch type of game. There is no competiton whatsoever aside from delve leaderboards or racing to 100.
"
I just read through this entire thread, all 48 pages (thus far) of it, and almost every comment I've read here complaining about, belittling, and insulting those who are expressing their dissatisfaction with the nerfs, involves an attack against a strawman argument.

Despite the claims of the sycophants, very few of the complaints about the nerfs have been complaints about GGG breaking people's pet builds. Very few of the complaints have been about damage nerfs. I've only seen exactly one complaint which could arguably be said to argue against nerfing something OP.

The vast majority of the actual complaints have been about defensive nerfs, followed by complaints about making leveling (the thing we have to get through just to get to the real content) suck more than it already does.

These are fair and legitimate complaints.

Even moderately effective defenses are already difficult and expensive to acquire; just compare prices on equivalent items with and without non-negligible amounts of chaos res (it easily increases the cost by an order of magnitude or more), and while really good chaos res wasn't always essential, it's definitely become so over the past couple of years. Resistances alone also don't cut it, you need other forms of damage mitigation/avoidance and ehp recovery as well. Any one of those defensive stats on their own might be fairly easy to acquire, but in the combinations required to provide anything remotely resembling an effective set of defensive layers it's going to be extremely costly in both skill points and gear (which ultimately requires a lot of time and luck whether you trade for it or self-farm and craft). And that doesn't even factor in that you also need to get damage on both your passives, which is a very limited resource, and on your gear, which makes it that much more expensive to acquire.

Then, even if you manage to focus so heavily on defense to the exclusion of damage that it'd take you six hours to kill Shaper, if you're not playing one of the actually broken immortal builds, you still get one-shot or hit by massive DoTs which may as well be one-shots almost constantly, half the time because you killed something, the other half of the time because you didn't.

True Story !!!
Remember that Blizzard downfall began when devs wanted everyone to play their way instead of the way players wanted...

For some time I see GGG in the same direction.
"There's no thing like random one-shots in this game. You only die because you take 353,456,237 hits in 0.2 seconds."

"The best items in the game should not be crafted, they should be TRADED." - Cent, GGG

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info