The Multi-box Thread: How it ruins the game.

"
Aanthalas wrote:
I do appreciate the effort that the OP has put in his post. However, this looks like a lot of conjecture and anecdotal evidence. Hard facts do not support the hypothesis that multiboxing does lead to inflation. Let me be specific:

If multiboxing (+ the chaos orb recipe) would cause significant inflation, then the exchange rate of chaos orbs to exalted orbs should change significantly over time. This is not the case. The exchange rate has remained stable at 15:1 since the start of OB.

Further, it is often claimed that true multiboxing (actually playing 6 toons at once) is responsible for the inflation of prices in general. This is not the case. Multiboxing does not alter the relation between currency and desirable items in any way. Multiboxing simply increases item quantity by 250%. Thus multiboxers will find items AND currency at a higher rate. This does not cause any more inflation than adding additional players to the game.

So then, why do we see inflation? The reason is that, as the general availability of currency increases, the prices for an high end item will approach the currency needed to craft it. This is to be expected.

Now what multiboxing does is allowing a single player to get an item quantity bonus. This may be considere extremely unfair in a competitive environment. But it does not increase the inflation rate. And that is easily fixed by adding /player 6 to the game.

You're missing a detail as you talk about the IIQ increasing rare/unique drops as well as orb drops.

The early stages of the game have just as much chance to drop orbs as the highest stages of the game. So a multi running a bunch of new characters through Act 1 Normal will collect a ton of orbs. Yes, they'll collect a ton of rares and possibly uniques, too. But, it sure isn't gonna be any 5-Linked 600 ES chest pieces or Lioneye Gazes, if you know what I mean.

That is what's causing the imbalance. They're taking in a ton of the orbs, but they aren't taking in any equipment to even it out. So then they get stash pages full of this stuff, but aren't actually contributing to the game's supply of late-game-viable gear. Only buying it for themselves. They are like leeches, and they only take in without actually giving back.

I want you to try to get a proper vision of that scenario in your head for me, because I've been posting all day and my juice has ran out. But if you do, I am confident you'll see my point clearly.
If what you're saying is true, and that a significant number of people are running low level characters repeatedly... (a laughable assumption)..

Then the problem would be the fact that orbs drop at low levels, rather than multi-boxing.
"
byubd wrote:
If what you're saying is true, and that a significant number of people are running low level characters repeatedly... (a laughable assumption)..

Then the problem would be the fact that orbs drop at low levels, rather than multi-boxing.

A laughable assumption?

Ok, so let's see... If YOU were a multi, what would you do?

Level up a bunch of characters (albeit at the same time, but regardless) to a high level to farm level 60+ areas? Most likely having to gear up all of said characters at least RELATIVELY well, so that they aren't obsolete? Farm zones that are at least dangerous enough to slow down your farm intake?

Or would you roll new characters, where your gear really means nothing at all, content is buttfuck easy to clear while naked, and you STILL have an equal chance at obtaining all of the orb intake as any high level guy out there?

Because I think we both know the correct answer, and then the answer that you wanna say so that it makes me look wrong.

As for orbs dropping in low level areas jsut the same as high level areas... Well, no. I'd say it's become an indirect problem, thanks TO our multi-box friends. Under normal circumstances, it's a GREAT mechanic of the game. It lets newcomers begin obtaining wealth so that they have something to spend once they need to spend it. I don't think that's the issue at all. It's simply accidentally aiding the multi-box abusers. Removing that aspect of the game would not be a good thing.
"
ShadyC wrote:
"
byubd wrote:

A laughable assumption?

Ok, so let's see... If YOU were a multi, what would you do?

Level up a bunch of characters (albeit at the same time, but regardless) to a high level to farm level 60+ areas? Most likely having to gear up all of said characters at least RELATIVELY well, so that they aren't obsolete? Farm zones that are at least dangerous enough to slow down your farm intake?

Or would you roll new characters, where your gear really means nothing at all, content is buttfuck easy to clear while naked, and you STILL have an equal chance at obtaining all of the orb intake as any high level guy out there?

Because I think we both know the correct answer, and then the answer that you wanna say so that it makes me look wrong.

Why would multiboxers be stupid an miss out on 6 socket items, 5L and 6L items, high level uniques, etc. Most of the income when farming is from items and not from orbs. Multiboxers will farm whatever is the best farming spot. Most likely this will be docks at the highest difficulty setting or maps. Of course they will have to level and equip their team but due to synergies in group play they need much less gear than a solo player. It is simply a matter of return on investment.

Well let's see. Given the new patch, in order to multi-box properly you'd either have to 1) kill a boss or 2) send several commands to have your alts follow your character around.

2) is completely retarded unless automated, but we're not talking about automation, so that's irrelevant.

So we're left with 1) killing a boss.

Then we have three options:

a) Run a low level boss with a low level character, take two years to kill the boss because it's a low level character killing a 6 player boss, and/or have minimal IIQ/IIR gear. (Your idea)

b) Run a low level boss with a high level character, and get no currency drops, but good rares/uniques (not a bad idea, did this until the chaos recipe nerf, no longer feel like its worth it for just alts, alchs, and uniques)

c) Run a high level boss with a high level character. (Takes more work than most people are willing to do.)

I'd rank c > b > a.

Now I'm too lazy for c, b isn't worth it anymore, and a is a complete waste of time.

So to answer your question: I do run multiple clients, but not for the sake of farming, 'cause it's not worth it.

Of course I may be wrong; feel free to provide proof of a (legitimate) multi-boxer consistently generating significantly more income than a player who doesn't run multiple clients.... by repeatedly running low level content on new characters.
Last edited by byubd on Mar 27, 2013, 9:01:10 AM
"
byubd wrote:
Well let's see. Given the new patch, in order to multi-box properly you'd either have to 1) kill a boss or 2) send several commands to have your alts follow your character around.

2)
b) Run a low level boss with a high level character, and get no currency drops, but good rares/uniques (not a bad idea, did this until the chaos recipe nerf, no longer feel like its worth it for just alts, alchs, and uniques)

For me its Still worth it Chaos Recipe for me(Solo) was a small Income from my bosses runs the most of Currency i get From Alts/Uniques

I Run about 10h (400+IR 80+IQ)a day Vall/Marveil Normal and get ~~200 Chaos now whithout Chaos Recipe Solo Play. i get only 1 or 2 good uniques a day but they are worth that hard work.(~~10Uniques per day)

Look at Multiboxer play like that.

He can get 10 uniques per hour And Many rares more than i when i solo he's income can be 3x+ more than my at the same time.

Ofc i told about Multiboxers using Keystrocking. I know there are like 80% Multiboxers who's do like that.

and u can say its not worth it anymore?
Ign LilDeril
"
ShadyC wrote:
to at least give everyone the IIQ bonus potential by adding the "/player X" command, where you make the game think there's additional players in your party

lol
"
ShadyC wrote:
Then wipe all currency Orbs, so that the game can have a stable economy once again

rofl
[Suggestion] How to end Desync: [url]http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/335390[/url]
"
ShadyC wrote:
I like your argument, and I've seen it before. But let me present what I beleive to be a heavier-weighing counter-argument.

(This also relates to my above post.)

While RNG is inherently this game's biggest currency sink, the overflow of orbs that multi's own offsets that engine. Quick note that your example of 50 Chaos is actually off, and more realistically over 100 Chaos (even at 15 Chaos per Exalt and items going for a 10 Exalt average); but that only provides more strength to your point anyway. If an item costs 8-10 Exalts, which is an ungodly amount of Chaos... Yes, you could very well just have USED that amount of orbs crafting your own thing.

But speaking as a person who has many a time spent over 50 Fuses failing to get a 4Link on ilvl 70+ boots/gloves, and well over 100 Jeweller's on similar chests before ever getting anything higher than 3 sockets... I'm not about to go try my luck by rolling through hundreds of Chaos orbs.

Certainty will always outweigh chance. I'd even say well off to the point of infinity. People will always pay more than what they could consume in crafting the same thing, currently I'd say the amount is roughly at a 75% figure. This is to say, if we assume the buyer is assuming they would have the lower 50-80%% of the luck spectrum when crafting, they will pay upwards 75% more of what would be blown in crafting as a straight-up offer on a premade piece. And it is my belief that this figure will continue to grow, going well beyond 100% and most likely not stopping, as people grow to hate RNG more and more and more.

Let's say you have 1,000 Chaos. Would you rather spend 500 to get an item you need, or go through 300 in crafting, get nothing but crap, and be looking at the choice to either keep trying your luck all the way to the end, or give up now that you're 300 down?

NOBODY likes RNG, and the value of negating it is literally priceless - and as such, it will only continue to rise.

This was to a certain extent hovering in the back of my mind when I wrote this post, but the thing that bugs me about it is pretty straightforward: at that point, it becomes to a large extent not a matter of need, but a matter of convenience - the odds of getting screwed by that number of chaos orbs is miniscule. Could happen, but the odds of you getting something good are very high. I dunno, I'm not going to say that multiboxing isn't a problem, I'm just trying to stay optimistic.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
TODAY I LEARNED HOW PEOPLE ON THESE FORUMS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

The reason orb prices increase is because maps are draining far more orbs than they have ever before (because before there was no "push for 100"). Also, the evidence you posted about unique prices increasing is THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what multiboxers bring. Maligaro's is a low level unique and with the whole IIR and IIQ multiboxers with gear get plus the party bonus they get a lot more uniques.

PS: just look at the week race's economy right now: you'll see some pretty cool prices, and trust me, that's far worse than what HC has. (If you're talking SC you might just want to quit now.)

"
Popis wrote:

I Run about 10h (400+IR 80+IQ)a day Vall/Marveil Normal and get ~~200 Chaos now whithout Chaos Recipe Solo Play. i get only 1 or 2 good uniques a day but they are worth that hard work.(~~10Uniques per day)

Could you please stream like an hour of you doing that farm? Or make a video or similar. I'd love to see how you make 3200 alterations in a day. That's like what? 320 alterations per hour? Like 5 alterations per minute too? I'd really love to know how you do that.

I mean let's do some math: on average you gain like 2 alterations per run at most. So you'd have to do 2.5 runs in one minute? I thought speedhacking was against the rules.

tl;dr Stop lying. Same way as the made up numbers of what people made with the chaos recipe. If you haven't actually done this yourself stop talking.

"
Aanthalas wrote:

Why would multiboxers be stupid an miss out on 6 socket items, 5L and 6L items, high level uniques, etc. Most of the income when farming is from items and not from orbs. Multiboxers will farm whatever is the best farming spot. Most likely this will be docks at the highest difficulty setting or maps. Of course they will have to level and equip their team but due to synergies in group play they need much less gear than a solo player. It is simply a matter of return on investment.

This kind of multiboxing is a bannable offense already.
@Aelloon
Last edited by Aelloon on Mar 27, 2013, 9:52:17 AM
Multibox threads ruin forums more than multiboxing ruins the game

/e i lied... multiboxing doesnt affect much in game... and multiboxing threads are horribly put together and annoying.
Last edited by PsychoT on Mar 27, 2013, 9:55:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info