Bloom in Path of Exile

On the plus side: The difference between the old fake bloom particles and the new bloom systems is actually the full difference between my pc's performance being good enough to play the game or not.
Because of the new system I can actually play the game now. Call me biased, but I think that's much more valuable than turning off bloom.
Can't even play my EA build this league because of bloom. What a joke lmao. Was hyped to buy a Dying Sun and get more projectiles, but why? I'd just get more of a headache
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020
Last edited by girng on Jul 20, 2020, 7:34:35 AM
We don't care about you, your art and your self centered artists, simple as that.

Bloom must be gone or the player/user able to disable it not to "reduced" it.
[quote="Orbaal"][b][u]This is a PvE game, not PvP.[/u][/b][/quote]
If I am reading this correctly, this should mean some performance improvements, right? Because I did not notice any but I have noticed very bright objects..which I thought was due to my graphics card having a heart attack. I am glad this is not the case.
Give us a slider 0-100% even games like everquest in 1999 had them for spell brightness, is it really that hard to implement 20 years later???
My feedback on the new bloom system: I've played this league with full bloom and the added brightness has been a net negative on my gameplay experience. Especially in dark maps using bright (read; most) skills is a nightmare for visual clarity both in solo and party play.

"
While the overwhelming majority of players have left the setting on its default value, a few hundred players have expressed significant concern with the Bloom effects and want a way to disable them. This isn't an immediately simple choice to provide, because we have already stripped out all of the Fake Bloom Particles from the effects throughout the game. In order for those effects to be visible, we'd need to reintroduce those particles, which is quite a lot of work.

What I understand is that the new bloom system is being used to render certain effects, which would be completely invisible if bloom is turned off. Something about this (using a post-processing effect to render graphics vital to gameplay) seems a bit silly to me but I'm no developer so I'll just assume this is fine.

The main reason people are upset about this is that they can't play with the current system in place. Even on slight, currently certain effects are beyond bright and certain people would like their eyesight to survive a session of PoE. With the deprecated system this was not as much of an issue, although PoE has without doubt gotten brighter over the years.

Now, as they are signalling in their post this is considered a minority issue at the moment which, historically, get stuck in backlog hell so there is little to no hope of this issue being resolved quickly if people don't speak up about it.

I would propose as a temporary fix to add that bloom slider all the way from 0-100% just so people can experience different levels and see for themselves what feels comfortable to them.

I understand that you don't want that from a developer perspective since you have a vision on what the game has to be but consider this; Certain people that could play before the patch cannot play now. If you use your main playerbase as beta testers for new, unfinished, half-tested additions then the entire argument of artistic vision can go out the window.

+1 to adding a slider
Last edited by Bardharr on Jul 20, 2020, 10:00:52 AM
I think it's pretty obvious:

1. The Bloom system is far superior and has to stay.
Players that say otherwise simply have to be ignored.

2. A lot of the Bloom materials and light strengths (esp light sources that effectively stack, spells) are way out of whack, and need a lot of work. That's not just a few bugs here and there, it's significantly widespread, and failing to recognise this will lose a lot of players. GGG need to acknowledge this publicly to maintain player confidence.

So it was probably released before it was really ready. Oh well, you live and learn. But you can't go back now, so you'd better really turn up the heat on fixing those materials before players walk.

Reading these responses makes it pretty clear that the loudest voices didn't read the post.
Bloom-slight setting should be the default normal. It looks great.

What irks me is that my favourite mtx armour- the chimera set - now looks totally dull, flat and severely downgraded. I believe it was in 3.10 that it changed.

GGG please rectify!

"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
So, I just entered the Azurite Mine today and wanted to see what the 175% Flare light radius would look like at depth 123. It is so bright I really cannot see anything in my immediate surroundings, and is so blinding, how practical can this be when you are trying to target mobs that are on top of you or from afar?

Please GGG the lighting from flares was PERFECT BEFORE BLOOM. Can we at least have a switch to disable this in the mine? o.o

Now just imagine throwing 2 or 3 flares and the whole screen is nothing but a blinding white light.
Last edited by AShugars on Jul 20, 2020, 4:47:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info