How can MAPS lag so much harder than any other area ?

Did you even read the title and topic of this thread, or are you just here to troll ?

I can play regular content quite well, only maps lag impossibly.
But also I am not interested to have a talk with you anymore, demonstrating this elitist stand.

You are just trying to avoid the discussion about how this game is programmed not so much for performance, compared to other games, that btw. also have min requirements that I do not fulfill at all, still I can play them, because I know how to setup up my driver to still perform well.

Maybe you should just troll someone worth your time and attention.

EDIT

I had no time to finish this post yesterday, so I continue it now.

I decided to support this game in a very early stage, when there have not been those requirements and I was sure, I would get a game to play in future, since it did run just fine.

I do not see, why a customer like me should not get heard, just because he has different hardware specs.

So limiting the support to players with elitist hardware specs, after having gotten supported financially, is to me like a fist in the face, I could maybe agree on your stand, if I would just get all my money back, but I prefer to let my opinion in the forum and hope for some optimisations, since btw. this would also make this game more playable for a lot people, who cannot yet participate in this horrible 1-shot-scenario.
No my PC does not require an update, no I am not going to buy a new graphic card, no this problem is not solved by buying just new hardware.
Last edited by Tamo_Tua on May 24, 2020, 3:04:12 PM
it is important to locate items and to predicts mob behaviour
"
Did you even read the title and topic of this thread

Well, to put the topic title really simple - they lag harder because there are way more polygons for GPU to render - from extra mobs to extra loot on the floor, plus way more overlapped sounds to choke on your CPU. The game engine is really far from being the pinnacle of optimization too, but if you can barely sustain the framerate in acts, don't expect to be able to do so in maps, as simple as that.
Also, considered you came back somewhat in the middle of the league, gawd forbid if you try REAL early beta content at the league start, it can sometimes turn really modern hardware into a potato.
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
@dw2005
I believe that.
There are simple measures that can be taken to reduce the weight on cpu and gpu.
The most efficient one imo is to create groups of sounds and graphic effects according to the importance of those, and then let the player decide, to which level he wants to limit those.

It means, I would reduce sounds to the basic sounds, that are important to survive, like monster skills, that 1 shot and loot drop sounds.

Graphically I would do the same, the game would even look a lot better with those filters, even for me.

That is a simple measure, it is cheap to program and does not require to rebuild the core engine at all.

I mean, almost every modern game does offer it, only PoE is known to me, where it is not possible, and I mean still not possible.

Why would the devs not try to turn this into a modern game with those options ?

Maybe it is their intention, to keep people out who do already from the hardware specs not look like whales.

Maybe Chris wants to let people with money, who stack an endless ammount of graphic effects on their characters, destroy the poorer ones fun with the lag, those effects create ?

It's kind of like he gives those with endless money, who support a way to discriminate those with a potential low budget.

I try to understand the logic behind this.

About the extra Polygons

Actually, this is not true. As I wrote in the second post on page 2 of this thread already, "The Beach" Map is smaller and has less loot than the Beachhead area.
No my PC does not require an update, no I am not going to buy a new graphic card, no this problem is not solved by buying just new hardware.
Last edited by Tamo_Tua on May 24, 2020, 3:24:03 PM
you already know the solution to your problem so if you enjoy POE then i dont see why you wont do it. these days you can upgrade for really cheap
"
Actually, this is not true. As I wrote in the second post on page 2 of this thread already, "The Beach" Map is smaller and has less loot than the Beachhead area.

Okay, i'll put it more simple - there's significantly MORE objects per screen to render, regapdless of tech used - be it polygonal modeling, or NURBS, or even ray tracing, but it results in the same - more GPU load which your integrated video simply can't handle in time, and most likely no amount of optimization can make it do that.

So at that point the solution will be finding a discrete GPU somewhere, at least something like 560gt or better.

Its kinda funny how i wasn't able to find minimum requirements on poe site itself, but according to steam page, they are:

CPU: x86-compatible 2,6 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 Ti or ATI Radeon™ HD 7850 or better
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
"
dW2005 wrote:
Okay, i'll put it more simple - there's significantly MORE objects per screen to render, regapdless of tech used - be it polygonal modeling, or NURBS, or even ray tracing, but it results in the same - more GPU load which your integrated video simply can't handle in time, and most likely no amount of optimization can make it do that.

So at that point the solution will be finding a discrete GPU somewhere, at least something like 560gt or better.

Its kinda funny how i wasn't able to find minimum requirements on poe site itself, but according to steam page, they are:

CPU: x86-compatible 2,6 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 Ti or ATI Radeon™ HD 7850 or better

Hey dW2005 that makes it still not true, on the beachhead zone there are mor mobs than there are on an unmodified beach map, it is way larger and has way more mobs + loot you should investigate it instead of just assuming from your probably high level modded maps u play, I was talking about a white beach map, compared to the beachhead, which may also have mods if I am not wrong here.

And into my "Pc" which is a mini ITX there does not fit any graphic card, also I am not interested in upgrading because it is not required. If that game would just make intelligent filters available to reduce GPU and CPU weight it would run fine, I am 100% sure. I already mentioned other games that can do it, it does not make this camparison untrue, just because everyone ignores it.
Last edited by Tamo_Tua on May 25, 2020, 2:17:17 AM
Well, you can believe it or not, but there is no way to make poe run smooth on your system in its current state, as simple as that. Some cloud gaming service like nvidia now may be a solution if you have decent internetz.

Umm, and just for the sake of discussion, i've built a couple of these mini-itx rigs years ago, back when they were called "HTPC", HT meaning "Home Theater". They had discrete GPU, but initially weren't meant for gaming, just for the media playback as so called smart tvs weren't common at all and neither were single-board ARM-based computers the size of cigarette pack that can play 4k easy now.
So, they COULD run some relatively modern games on low settings back then and some old games on high of course, but it was like 2012-13 if alzheimer serves me well, now they are hopelessly outdated.
Last edited by dW2005 on May 25, 2020, 3:21:38 AM
Too much on screen + always online. Thats the real reasons why performance is lacking. The game is decently optimized and gives you the typical graphics settings. Dont expect much better unless we go back to D3s very outdated graphics or reduce polygon count, lighting, textures and skill effects drastically. Or they somehow magically manage to implement some revolutionary tech, like the unreal 5 demo and gl with that.

"
Walltrigger wrote:
Too much on screen + always online. Thats the real reasons why performance is lacking. The game is decently optimized and gives you the typical graphics settings. Dont expect much better unless we go back to D3s very outdated graphics or reduce polygon count, lighting, textures and skill effects drastically. Or they somehow magically manage to implement some revolutionary tech, like the unreal 5 demo and gl with that.

Well, I cannot reduce the effect ammount and sounds drastically, if I would like to, that would make it smooth for me, because it would just make 80% of the load on cpu+gpu vanish.

@dW2005 did you try GrimDawn Crucible ? Last wave I get only minimal lags.
You should just try to see what I am comparing here. I really know that it is not a system meant to play with at all. But modern game engines allow me to play almost anything, because they even are able to make content for smartphones available.

Actually I think GGG will not be able to ignore the smartphone platforms as market forever, which means, they will have to implement restrictions and improvements to make the game available for low performance platforms. That will also enable me to have a better experience.

I am just waiting for a reaction on when they will get onto this.
It is not like this game is Skyrim, it is a simple hack and slay rpg, it should be easy on demands. It also is not an MMO and never performed well in town, where are too many ppl for this engine to perform well.
Last edited by Tamo_Tua on May 25, 2020, 4:59:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info