Wuhan China Coronavirus.

I'm a true believer of you and your knowledge and expertise, which is clearly based on firsthand experience and definitely not based on too many episodes of The Walking Dead.

The key lessons I learned from firsthand experience with SARS and various outbreaks of bird/pig flu around me were stay informed, be cautious, masks don't work if you're healthy, wash the hell out of your hands at every opportunity, stay away from hospitals and clinics unless you're clearly sick because they are disease incubators, and just don't fucking panic.

You clearly know better than I do. I can admit when I'm wrong.

I will encourage all of my Taiwanese family and friends to go out and buy extra supplies they don't actually need, so we can start queuing up for daily necessities that we can no longer get because we've already stockpiled them all. That's working out splendidly for Hongkongers right now, after all. We can show our solidarity with them by preemptively causing the problems we're afraid of.

[Removed by Support]
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by Lisa_GGG on Feb 17, 2020, 9:09:05 AM
All things considered, even if you do get the virus, it's very likely you will live through it.

Fatality rate is quite low. Lower than normal influenza. A quick stop at the cdc website that I linked earlier in the thread, will show you that Corona is the flavor of the moment flu. (Fear mongering aside)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Ironically, I feel better informed by North Korean media than western media. Really makes you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI_MG3ZnDak

TL;DW:

-nCoV-2019 generally affects anyone, but in particular middle-aged people
-Men have a higher incidence than women
-There are children among the affected people, but the incidence is not so high
-Incubation period: 3-7 days, up to 24 days
-Symptoms: fever, malaise, dry cough. Less common: nasal congestion, runny nose, diarrhea
-In severely ill patients, dyspnea occurs after one week
-In more severe patients, it rapidly worsens into acute dyspnea syndrome, septic shock, metabolic acidosis and blood clotting. Functional impairment can occur
It is unclear whether there is a (severe) fever only in seriously ill patients
-Deaths are mostly in the mid-fifties to sixties
In some young patients, strong immunity may cause side effects: the antibodies will attack not only the pathogen but also normal cells (cytokene storm)
-Mortality rate is 4.5%
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Buying extra supplies? Where did this troll come from.

Look I get it, even if, let us go with your wild fantasy. Let us assume that this virus is the mother of all viruses, this shit is going to infect and kill half the population of the world at least. Hundreds of millions,even billions will die eventually.

What are your supplies going to give you? You think you will survive? In this age? Do you have a giant piece of land somewhere far away from the city,and the skills to make yourself "self sufficient" ? You know,grow your own food,get your own fresh water,and so on.Most of you can barely change a lightbulb, you think you are ready to live off the grid? And not hippie 50K solar panel wi-fi van "camping" off grid,but actual off grid, have the skillset to get things going from nothing.

The extra supplies are going to buy you from a couple of hours,to max a couple of days extra in the best case scenario. If all hell breaks loose, you will not be among the survivors,you will be among the victims.

Yes,the "official" numbers are not to be trusted, but they aren't "world ending apocalypse real numbers" either.

If this thing would have been as serious as some people believe, then a ton of people in western countries would have already died, by that I mean by the thousands towards hundreds of thousands, going towards millions by the next weeks towards months. But that is not happening, is it?

Last edited by Nosferat on Feb 17, 2020, 3:28:50 PM
"
Nosferat wrote:
Buying extra supplies? Where did this troll come from.

Look I get it, even if, let us go with your wild fantasy. Let us assume that this virus is the mother of all viruses, this shit is going to infect and kill half the population of the world at least. Hundreds of millions,even billions will die eventually.

What are your supplies going to give you? You think you will survive? In this age? Do you have a giant piece of land somewhere far away from the city,and the skills to make yourself "self sufficient" ? You know,grow your own food,get your own fresh water,and so on.Most of you can barely change a lightbulb, you think you are ready to live off the grid? And not hippie 50K solar panel wi-fi van "camping" off grid,but actual off grid, have the skillset to get things going from nothing.

The extra supplies are going to buy you from a couple of hours,to max a couple of days extra in the best case scenario. If all hell breaks loose, you will not be among the survivors,you will be among the victims.

Yes,the "official" numbers are not to be trusted, but they aren't "world ending apocalypse real numbers" either.

If this thing would have been as serious as some people believe, then a ton of people in western countries would have already died, by that I mean by the thousands towards hundreds of thousands, going towards millions by the next weeks towards months. But that is not happening, is it?

What wild fantasy? where did i ever say this virus is the end of the world? Why are you making up shit?
The only reason you need to buy some stuff to last you a couple of weeks is not to sit out the end of the world (your pathetic fantasy not mine) is cause if enough ppl will get sick for extended periods of time suply chains will suffer, also ppl wil hoard when the virus hits their town.
That is why you prepare in advance not for your childish end of the world fantasies.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
Like others said,stop watching so much of the "walking dead".

Truly,basic supplies is what we all have. Supply chains will function just fine, people will do anything for money,like driving up tourists towards Chernobyl, or Fukushima,regarldess of the high dose of radiation,they will still go there every day driving tourists to see the horror.

Unless some actual world ending crap comes to pass, the supply chain will work just fine. You might not get those extra special tampons in the shop, you will maybe find those second rated ones,same goes for condoms,chips,sugar,salt,potatoes,bottled water and a lot of other stuff,but you will still find more than what you need.
Last edited by Nosferat on Feb 17, 2020, 3:57:53 PM
"
Nosferat wrote:

Unless some actual world ending crap comes to pass, the supply chain will work just fine

Not entirely true. Life in the more modern countries are quite fragile. An extended power outage (solar flare, terrorism, natural disaster), would probably descend us into chaos within a month or two.

Most people dont have supplies past 2 weeks. Despair is far more dangerous than a virus.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Your the ones having fantasies about the walking dead not me.
I do find it interesting how hysterical and emotional ppl are getting over this subject.
I mean i get it if you actually do something about it that will make it real, much safer to do nothing bury your head in the sand, play poe and pretend nothing bad will ever happen.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Nosferat wrote:

Unless some actual world ending crap comes to pass, the supply chain will work just fine

Not entirely true. Life in the more modern countries are quite fragile. An extended power outage (solar flare, terrorism, natural disaster), would probably descend us into chaos within a month or two.

Most people dont have supplies past 2 weeks. Despair is far more dangerous than a virus.

Yes, we all know that stuff could go off the rails pretty quick,society is fragile in that way. However,given the modern world,the modern people, most of us would not last beside a couple of days. That is the thing, we are barely a couple of days away from absolute complete disaster, that is how fragile this thing actually is.

I know it's a hard thing to accept for most people,as everyone thinks they are special, unfortunately they are not. You are not MacGyver, or William Wallace, you are one of the people who died.

This is the reality of the situation, and I'm fine with it. I know what skills I do have and what skills I do not have. It does not matter if it's Canada or India, if shit hits the fan, the ones that make it versus the ones that do not is, not an optimistic number.

In case of a breakdown, most of us are dead, regardless of supplies. Gathering supplies,and "being prepared" is usually nonsense from my perspective. I mean sure...buy a couple more cans of water or whatever, but in the long run,if something serious happens, you are just as dead as the rest of us.

There are actual plans one can take to ride out a serious issue, but that is a totally different discussion. This is more about fantasy land,and how some people think that "taking precautions" will help.

I mean sure,bathing and washing your hands helps, but that helps for a lot of other things, things that should be common knowledge.
Last edited by Nosferat on Feb 17, 2020, 5:08:18 PM
"
Nosferat wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Nosferat wrote:

Yes, we all know that stuff could go off the rails pretty quick,society is fragile in that way. However,given the modern world,the modern people, most of us would not last beside a couple of days. That is the thing, we are barely a couple of days away from absolute complete disaster, that is how fragile this thing actually is.

I know it's a hard thing to accept for most people,as everyone thinks they are special, unfortunately they are not. You are not MacGyver, or William Wallace, you are one of the people who died.

This is the reality of the situation, and I'm fine with it. I know what skills I do have and what skills I do not have. It does not matter if it's Canada or India, if shit hits the fan, the ones that make it versus the ones that do not is, not an optimistic number.

In case of a breakdown, most of us are dead, regardless of supplies. Gathering supplies,and "being prepared" is usually nonsense from my perspective. I mean sure...buy a couple more cans of water or whatever, but in the long run,if something serious happens, you are just as dead as the rest of us.

There are actual plans one can take to ride out a serious issue, but that is a totally different discussion. This is more about fantasy land,and how some people think that "taking precautions" will help.

I mean sure,bathing and washing your hands helps, but that helps for a lot of other things, things that should be common knowledge.

Well fresh water likely won't be an issue for much of the country, but food, baby formula, medicine, and gas would literally be a life and death struggle.

It's likely family would bond together, my brother has some property in a rural part of the country, with some sustainable resources, and decent armory of weapons & ammo.

One of the bigger issues would be getting there, in likely a nightmare beyond comprehension. We have discussed this generally as a family (not prepping or anything), and we could probably make it for a significant amount of time, but not indefinitely unless we became good farmers and raised animals beyond rabbits and chickens. The goal/object would be survival until things get under control. If that never happened, then your right, most of us would die.
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info