if you dont like to die - just dont die DUH!

make a strength stacking chieftain or guardian and hit 20k+ ES. Then you will never die again unless you try real hard.
"
Redthorne82 wrote:
"
FramFramson wrote:
I would also like to add that even the worst player can fail their way to 100 by doing safe enough content and then never experience the penalty again.

Like I said, the real endgame penalty should be loot loss (map portals closing) on death.

How is it particularly skill-testing to just throw yourself at a boss five times until you kill them? Once you get to 100 (or 98 or 95 or wherever you decide to stop trying to level), there IS no penalty for dying anymore.

If they changed it so that it wasn't XP, players could build the best build they feel they're able to make (using all 121/123 skill points), but would still be challenged to avoid death forever instead of just some arbitrary limit, after which you get a free pass forever.

The problem is that hard bosses like Uber Elder (I'm not even talking about Sirus. I died to him twice on my first try and then beat him. He's super easy and both mistakes were 100% my own). It took me I think 17 tries to kill Uber Elder? That's 17 sets of 6 portals. In your scenario, I would have needed 102 sets of fragments to kill him? Maybe more (because on the 17th try I still didn't kill him deathless).

I think the 6 portals give you SOME chance to learn the fight better...in most cases, if you have no idea how the fight works, you're going to throw yourself at the fight 6 times and lose anyway. My first Catarina fight went like that, because I hate looking up guides or videos beforehand.

So yeah...the xp penalty is kind of a finite way to punish people (eventually they'll just say that level 90-whatever is good enough and not care about dying)...but I don't think single-portal events are a good solution either.

I still think of UE as the real ultimate endgame boss (Sirius is trash), so while I understand where you're coming from I feel like this is actually still a fair tradeoff.

That said, there's room for tweaks in what I'm suggesting to accommodate problems like what you're describing.
Last edited by FramFramson on Jan 20, 2020, 3:17:25 PM
Went from 40% XP to 2% XP at level 96...

HOURS of my Sunday night wasted just because I decided to try Temple Atrizi. Please ease up on the XP death penalty or get rid of it in its entirety.
"
Went from 40% XP to 2% XP at level 96...

HOURS of my Sunday night wasted just because I decided to try Temple Atrizi. Please ease up on the XP death penalty or get rid of it in its entirety.

Or maybe don't run content you aren't geared for. The levels of entitlement here are amazing.
I'm new to the game so please take my response as that of a noob.

When I was looking for a new game to play I entered in a few different searches on the things I wanted in a game. The biggest thing I wanted was a death penalty that was exp based. Mind you I have played games with good exp death penalties before and games with repair penalties and games with many other penalties or none. Exp based penalties in almost every game that utilizes them makes it so not everyone hours level cap. I 100% support that and wanted that.

That all being said I'm sure that GGG understands that the death penalty isn't for everyone. Some people like it.

On a side note one of the games I played was a a ftp game that had a death penalty, but it had memberships available if different levels. The more you wanted to pay monthly the less you lost on death. I don't particularly like that, but it is a way for the game to lower the death penalty.
I had a death recently that made no sense to me because nothing was around, no enemies no after-death bullcrap no indicators that I saw. I stared at my dead body wondering what the crap did that, then I came back into the map and ran to the area I died in at a different angle... and saw a totem that detonated corpses, and it was off-screen from the spot where I was killed. I don't get dinky little NPC totems get to do that kind of damage
I can not believe in White Knights appeared to defend any criticism that is made
"
Chavolatra wrote:
I can not believe in White Knights appeared to defend any criticism that is made

gotta name-call anyone that doesn't agree with your position. thats the best way to argue
Are you serious? No penalty in exp on death? You know what would that provide?

That will make ppl stop concerning about real def layers like dodge/life/es etc. just go full glass cannon and don't give a single F about death. 10% penalty gives some adrenaline when there is much action on screen. For me basically death penalty should go up each lvl 95+ like 15%, 20% etc. Make 100 lvl even more hard!
Not to mention classes like Gladiator and Juggernaut will mostly disappear from softcore.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info