Catalysts used on essence worm make it reserve more mana.

"
razowiec2 wrote:
basic math or not it makes no sense....
Hahaha that's why GGG does not joined to pointless discussion :).... And two plus two is not four hahaha....
🌞 Designer of SimpleFilter see My Item Filters 🌞
"
koszmarnica wrote:
"
razowiec2 wrote:
Hahaha that's why GGG does not joined to pointless discussion :).... And two plus two is not four hahaha....

Yeah my bad that I assumed there's a purpose behind a game mechanics.
"
razowiec2 wrote:
"
koszmarnica wrote:
"
razowiec2 wrote:

Yeah my bad that I assumed there's a purpose behind a game mechanics.

The purpose is to augment the mods on an item. The idea that it is ALWAYS a benefit is not relevant. They increase the mods. If it is a mod that provides a negative effect it will increase that effect. Simple.
"
Jatin_GGG wrote:
"
razowiec2 wrote:
As the title says, after few catalysty my essence worm now reserves 42% more mana up from 40% (it's a nerf).

Thanks for your report, this is intended as this is how Catalysts work.

Let's use 2 examples:
- "100% Reduced mana reserved"
- "100% Increased mana reserved"

With 20% Quality using Fertile Catalyst, this will modify the above values by 1.2x.

Results:
- "100% Reduced mana reserved" becomes "120% Reduced mana reserved"
- "100% Increased mana reserved" becomes "120% Increased mana reserved"

It might not be a bug but it is definitely very stupid design choice. It makes sense from pure mathematical sense but does not make any when looking at it resource perspective in the game. You can not realistically expect that people will expend valuable resources, ie. the catalyst that has a value associated with it, in order to become worse in the game. Either disable application of catalyst to items with these properties or make these properties ignore any catalysts.

Can also someone explain what effect will 120% reduced mana reserved have? Should it not be the same as 100% mana reserved? And we are back to start where this implementation of catalyst simply does not make any sense.
#Jbabel1012

How is that not relevant? why can you benefit from catalysts on call of brotherhood but you can't on essence worm? And please don't tell me because this is how catalysts work because it's not a law of physics.
Last edited by razowiec2 on Jan 9, 2020, 10:43:03 AM
I’m not sure why you would think it shouldn’t, GGG is extremely specific when stating mods. In this case every related mod gets a 20% multiplier at max quality. Sometimes negative mods are meant to offset positive ones. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. People were sure Cleansed Thoughts would only net a positive result. GGG consistently follows the mathematical relation every time. As others have said “you” wanting reduced mana reserved is irrelevant to the ring’s function. Other builds want to reserve mana, and the interaction isn’t going to be changed based off the common use of a single unique ring.
I think it's safe to say that someone on the design team was smart enough to point out these issues, and a design decision was made to go ahead with the basic concept and clean up the details later. Leagues are, after all beta (or alpha) environments.

The only real design decision made here was probably to not iron out all the kinks before going live, and that's totally consistent with the rapid development philosophy of the game.

There is a lot of complexity. Some items have mods that are trade-offs. Should a Catalyst reduce the negative aspect of the trade-off and buff the positive? Or should it make the negative worse as an offset, since the concept for the particular item involves a trade-off?

And what about an item where the positive mods are not numeric in a way that can benefit from a Catalyst, but there are negative mods that could be made worse.

Then there is the simpler issue that addressing all of these issues in more subtle ways will require more tweaking of the code when the development timeline is already quite short.

Maybe the real answer is "this is how catalysts work and we're not changing it". But I wouldn't be surprised to see some adjustments down the road.

At the moment, it's good that this stuff is getting out. There clearly are some items where it makes no sense to use a catalyst - at least right now. Whether you like it or not, people need to know before they waste them. For me, this was a very helpful thread, so thanks to everyone who contributed.

"
GreyLensman wrote:
I think it's safe to say that someone on the design team was smart enough to point out these issues, and a design decision was made to go ahead with the basic concept and clean up the details later. Leagues are, after all beta (or alpha) environments.

The only real design decision made here was probably to not iron out all the kinks before going live, and that's totally consistent with the rapid development philosophy of the game.

There is a lot of complexity. Some items have mods that are trade-offs. Should a Catalyst reduce the negative aspect of the trade-off and buff the positive? Or should it make the negative worse as an offset, since the concept for the particular item involves a trade-off?

And what about an item where the positive mods are not numeric in a way that can benefit from a Catalyst, but there are negative mods that could be made worse.

Then there is the simpler issue that addressing all of these issues in more subtle ways will require more tweaking of the code when the development timeline is already quite short.

Maybe the real answer is "this is how catalysts work and we're not changing it". But I wouldn't be surprised to see some adjustments down the road.

At the moment, it's good that this stuff is getting out. There clearly are some items where it makes no sense to use a catalyst - at least right now. Whether you like it or not, people need to know before they waste them. For me, this was a very helpful thread, so thanks to everyone who contributed.

I really like your post, this is exacty what I was thinking (wheter it's true or not): that they were aware of the issues it might produce but they decided to carry on for the sake of simplicity.

With that being said I don't think they are gonna change it anytime soon.
EVEN if they indeed see this as a flaw of the system they've got just way too many issues that are much more urgent.
If there is a change, I suspect it will come out in 3.10 or 4.0. Metamorph will likely receive the standard 10% chance encounter, which means 3.10 will make the core game mechanics. But until that is officially decided (which is pending player feedback), catalysts are exclusive to this league.
Based on how other quality currency interacts with perceived negative mods the 'pure math' method is how it's intended to work. Forbidden Taste was introduced in 1.1.4. It seems like if GGG was going to change individual mods to interact differently with quality currency they would have done it by now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info