Catalysts used on essence worm make it reserve more mana.

They don't necessarily have to change how the quality currency works, they can change how catalysts do.
Let's look at this from a logical perspective.
Let's treat items with no listed quality as 100% quality items. Using a quality increasing currency item will display the added quality, lets say +20%. This would mean you end up with an item of 120% quality. Quality modifies stats by multiplication, therefore -40% * 120% would be -48% in every occasion assuming you know how quality (and multiplication) works.

I think you all are perfectly able to logically deduce how quality works (by cold math, not opinion), so I feel like people are grasping at straws to avoid admitting their own mistake, which is assuming a positive (math) number would result in a positive (opinion) outcome.

It's a game mechanic. If using it would give you a negative outcome, don't use it. And if that blame the game for not fully understanding a mechanic means it's not a design flaw. It's caused by the player not understanding the mechanic (which is fair enough, given how complicated some stuff in PoE is). Either do more research, or complain about the game being hard to understand. But please don't try to paint it as a "design flaw". Hard math is part of the base design of PoE and part of why it's so great.
Last edited by Bardharr on Jan 9, 2020, 5:33:42 PM
"
Bardharr wrote:
Let's look at this from a logical perspective.
Let's treat items with no listed quality as 100% quality items. Using a quality increasing currency item will display the added quality, lets say +20%. This would mean you end up with an item of 120% quality. Quality modifies stats by multiplication, therefore -40% * 120% would be -48% in every occasion assuming you know how quality (and multiplication) works.

I think you all are perfectly able to logically deduce how quality works (by cold math, not opinion), so I feel like people are grasping at straws to avoid admitting their own mistake, which is assuming a positive (math) number would result in a positive (opinion) outcome.

It's a game mechanic. If using it would give you a negative outcome, don't use it. And if that blame the game for not fully understanding a mechanic means it's not a design flaw. It's caused by the player not understanding the mechanic (which is fair enough, given how complicated some stuff in PoE is). Either do more research, or complain about the game being hard to understand. But please don't try to paint it as a "design flaw". Hard math is part of the base design of PoE and part of why it's so great.

I strongly disagree that what you are saying is a logical perspective. You just described how it works now but from logical perspective either all unique jewellery should benefit from catalysts or none of them.
"
Dying__Lights wrote:
"
Jatin_GGG wrote:
"
razowiec2 wrote:
As the title says, after few catalysty my essence worm now reserves 42% more mana up from 40% (it's a nerf).

Thanks for your report, this is intended as this is how Catalysts work.

Let's use 2 examples:
- "100% Reduced mana reserved"
- "100% Increased mana reserved"

With 20% Quality using Fertile Catalyst, this will modify the above values by 1.2x.

Results:
- "100% Reduced mana reserved" becomes "120% Reduced mana reserved"
- "100% Increased mana reserved" becomes "120% Increased mana reserved"

These catalysts don't work on Mana reservation like For Herald of Agony in the Nostalgia ring. There is no indication as to which is a mana mod and which isn't. You should ask for this to be edited because based on the description and your reply here, fertile catalysts should improve my reduced mana reserved on the Herald of Agony/Ash/Ice in Circle of Nostalgia/Regret etc.

This is a bug, we're looking into it. Reservation of Heralds SHOULD be decreased with quality.
@Jatin_GGG

"
This is a bug, we're looking into it. Reservation of Heralds SHOULD be decreased with quality.

Does this also Count for Malelovence mod on Amulets?

Because I wasted my Catalysts in hope to Increase the 21% Reduced Mana reserved, but it was not affected by them.

This means not only Heralds but also Auras Affixes are not working with the Catalysts as intended.
Can you have 120% mana reduced on Solstice Vigil?
Same problem with the notable/keystone that doubles your chaos resistance. If you have -15% chaos res it doubles into -30% insted of zero as expected.
"
razowiec2 wrote:
Can you have 120% mana reduced on Solstice Vigil?

I think this stat can not go into the negative. So no +20% Free Mana for your idea ;)
"
razowiec2 wrote:
I strongly disagree that what you are saying is a logical perspective. You just described how it works now but from logical perspective either all unique jewellery should benefit from catalysts or none of them.

No, what he said was 100% logically correct, POE has always and will(hopefully) always work exactly as basic math dictates for any given situation based on the precise wording of the items(or skills or passive nodes) involved.

As such boosting quality increases any and all "negative" stats same as it does for "positive" stats.
"An it harm none, do what you will"
"
Torguemada wrote:
"
razowiec2 wrote:

No, what he said was 100% logically correct, POE has always and will(hopefully) always work exactly as basic math dictates for any given situation based on the precise wording of the items(or skills or passive nodes) involved.

As such boosting quality increases any and all "negative" stats same as it does for "positive" stats.

Also completely false mate....

Path of exile has always and will (hopefully) in the future always have benefits where it is intended to have benefit. And have downsides where it is intended to have benefits...

These catalysts are supposed to have only benefits, as stated already they havent thought it will have downsides (or did, but it's a bug)

It will probebly be solved, hopefully soon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info