Vulkan mod 1.1 (discontinued)

As of Path of Exile 3.10.2 the game supports Vulkan natively, there is no need of using this anymore

Introduction
This workaround was created due to waste amount of DX11 crashes reported after Metamorph league. (mainly on AMD GPU)
This is not full vulkan mode, but rather translation layer from DirectX to Vulkan. As a result, this prevents any crashes related to DirectX11 issues (any other game related crashes will still be present and accounted for) at cost of performance loss
NOT recommended for Hardcore players due to possible performance issues

old intro

What does it fix
Possibly fixes some GPU related crashes, at cost of stuttering for most of people (gets better the longer you play).

What is Vulkan
Vulkan is cross-platform 3d graphics computing API the same way as DirectX is. However Vulkan targets for much better performance and even though it is much younger project, it is much more stable and faster interface than DirectX. more info

What is DXVK
DXVK is layer which intercepts DirectX calls and translates them Vulkan, therefore the rendering is done by Vulkan in the end and not the DirectX.
DXVK was developed mainly to make games run better on Linux and is also optimized as such. Fortunately the compiled libraries are fully compatible with windows and they are working as expected.
Also, as this is only translation layer, it is not as fast as the native Vulkan application would be and it is expected to observe performance loss compared to native DirectX mode due to additional overhead and translation going on. In reality, lot of users are reporting faster performance, but with heavy stuttering during first minutes.

Is is safe to use?
As safe as running any 3rd party app. Exercise your own caution and use on your own risk

Is it "legal" to use?
Yes and no. This is not modifying any game data or mechanics. However it is modifying the output of the game as it is rendered by methods GGG has not intended. Some other games actually bans for custom graphic libraries but those games have anticheat measures detecting for wallhacks or similar, so it is understandable.
Linux users are using DXVK for years to play PoE on Linux, and I am not aware of single ban.
However: Linux users knows they are not supported by GGG from beginning, hence running dxvk is no difference for them. For Windows the situation is bit different. GGG is providing fully supported version of the client, and will try to help you with any issues you report. However should you use DXVK on windows, the GGG will not provide you support for any graphical or performance issues in the game and may deny support for any other issue while using DXVK. Therefore if you have any issues while running this workaround please post it only here, or reproduce it without this workaround and only after then report to GGG.

Installing and Downloading
Download: Poe-Vulkan-1.1.zip Detailed instructions inside

I've included the latest version 1.5 and async version 1.4.5 of DXVK as, some users were reporting better performance on one version than the other. I recommend using the async version (1.4.5)

I took the files from:
You don't have to do anything with those, unless you don't believe in my archive above :) These are just sources I used to craft Poe-Vulkan.zip file.
1.4.5: Project page
1.5 : Project page Download

Generally implementing this workaround consists of unpacking d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll into game directory and running config.bat to setup proper system variables (DXVK_HUD, DXVK_ASYNC and DXVK_STATE_CACHE). We are not overwriting anything, nor modifying any existing data. If properly installed, you will see version information in top left corner
Disabling HUD

Hit Windows+R (or in command line) and enter:
setx DXVK_HUD 0

or if you want just fps counter instead:
setx DXVK_HUD fps

Minimal Requirements
Windows 7 or Windows 10 (windows 8.x is not supported)
AMD 77xx and later
Nvidia 600 series and later
Intel GPU - ix 6xxx CPU or later
Using latest drivers recommended.

Performance
On initial startup, the game will be really choppy, but it will wear off once the cache is built. Basically every time you would see some new effect/skill/location/mts for the first time, you can expect fps drop, next encounter with such effect will no longer will be choppy. Some users were reporting better performance and no choppiness with cache state saving disabled and/or async version of dxvk, hence in my archive there are provided both versions. Cache is persistent even across reboots, so eventually the choppiness will be completely gone.
If you update drivers the cache will be invalidated/purged, with cache state enabled (default) the cache will be rebuilt as soon as possible, but it means the game would be stuttering even more for couple of minutes after starting until the cache is rebuilt
Also I would recommend to setup lower ingame settings possible (keep dynamic resolution turned off) to mitigate most of the stuttering

Youtube video of my bad gameplay comparing the vulkan performance to DirectX 11 (D3D is from 6:35)

Potential of Vulkan

Known issues
Fullscreen mode crashes on alt+tab - either use windowed/windowed fullscreen mode, or press alt+enter instead alt tabbing

Poe Trade plugin not working - use latest version, async version does not work with the plugin]

Cannot stream/record with OBS (async only) - black screen - Use display capture instead game capture. On async version it seems the capture is not possible.

Changelog

Replaced async 1.2.1 with async 1.4.5 version
Removed startup bat scripts
Added config.bat script to setup system variables, so the async would work properly on steam.

initial release

Last edited by julus on May 28, 2020, 5:20:53 PM
Last bumped on Jun 3, 2020, 5:35:35 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the work you've put in. I'll try implement tonight. More realistically tomorrow night though.
This workaround doesn't work. i have clearly follow all the instruction.

Savage reboot again and again ...

Thank you for trying.
"
Zvelkyor wrote:
This workaround doesn't work. i have clearly follow all the instruction.

Savage reboot again and again ...

Thank you for trying.

It "should" work unless there is something wrong. Can you please check the game folder if you have log files created? (they should end with _dxgi.log and _d3d11.log). If they are not there, it means you have most likely used wrong version of d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll and game was still running in directx mode.
Last edited by julus on Dec 18, 2019, 5:20:55 PM
I tried 1.2.1 AND 1.5 version in x64 (windows 64x)

Lauch options on steam doesn't work written like this :

DXVK_STATE_CACHE=0 %command%

Error : windows can't found 'DXVK_STATE_CACHE=0'

But like this : %command% DXVK_STATE_CACHE=0

the game launch but no log.

Can you help, maybe i misunderstanding something....
Last edited by Zvelkyor on Dec 18, 2019, 6:03:57 PM
"
Zvelkyor wrote:

Its more likely fault on my side, I haven't tried steam version if it allows workaround so easily, and took steam specific instructions from linux steam version. Downloading now and going to test it.
Thank u for ur post, working like a sharm (using now the older vulcan version, tomorrow i will triy the other version and compare both which works better) , finally i can again go and methamorph the crap out of my game :D

Love u!
"
julus wrote:
"
Zvelkyor wrote:

Its more likely fault on my side, I haven't tried steam version if it allows workaround so easily, and took steam specific instructions from linux steam version. Downloading now and going to test it.

I install POE without steam, it should be a better way :) Thanks a lot mate =)
Last edited by Zvelkyor on Dec 18, 2019, 6:50:13 PM
"
Zvelkyor wrote:

Ok, the launch option does not work as expected on steam at all. Even though I manage to correct it, it ignores the variables.

BUT, the workaround works on steam (this is how the directory should look like)
"
julus wrote:
"
Zvelkyor wrote:

Ok, the launch option does not work as expected on steam at all. Even though I manage to correct it, it ignores the variables.

BUT, the workaround works on steam (this is how the directory should look like)

ok, found it in my folder....my bad... with steam = automatic reboot with or without TANE, AFK in hideout crash too(GPU 65°/CPU 45°)with all radeon/AMD precessus killed or not.

Ryzen 3700x / RX 5700 XT

Last driver for all my harware( chipset, proc, gpu), windows up to date.

will be back after trying without steam. Thanks again.
Last edited by Zvelkyor on Dec 18, 2019, 7:02:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info