Whoa Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remastered at Blizzcon?

"
kolyaboo wrote:

But all that aside, there have been rumors about a D2 remaster for years what makes anyone think this time the rumors are true?

Decent amount of leaks and confirmations coming out now. Seems like this will be quite the Diablo focused announcement next month.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Anyone who expects the much of the news from this years' BlizzCon to be about games is living in a pipe dream. As for people migrating en masse back to Diablo, I think you're all way underestimating how much Blizzard has lost its respect - no, not from the recent controversies, but as a game developer. Pretty much everything people feared from the merger with Activision all those years ago has come to pass. Blizzard isn't just controversial for non-gaming reasons today, it's not respected as a gaming company either. So take off your nostalgia glasses and stop treating Blizzard for its past success like we now do CD Projekt Red (whose goodwill is still current, unlike Blizzard).

If you don't like PoE, but want a similarly complex game, just go play Warframe.
Last edited by Exile009 on Oct 21, 2019, 3:08:30 PM
"
Exile009 wrote:
Anyone who expects the much of the news from this years' BlizzCon to be about games is living in a pipe dream. As for people migrating en masse back to Diablo, I think you're all way underestimating how much Blizzard has lost its respect - no, not from the recent controversies, but as a game developer. Pretty much everything people feared from the merger with Activision all those years ago has come to pass. Blizzard isn't just controversial for non-gaming reasons today, it's not respected as a gaming company either. So take off your nostalgia glasses and stop treating Blizzard for its past success like we now do CD Projekt Red (whose goodwill is still current, unlike Blizzard).

If you don't like PoE, but want a similarly complex game, just go play Warframe.

Seems like hating on Blizzard just to hate.

I would argue that Vaniila did very well. Hearthstone & Overwatch are in decent places also. I see no reason why a Diablo 2 Remaster wouldn't perform well either, allowing some development time for D4.

I suppose it's cool to hate on Blizzard atm, but to think D2 Remastered wouldnt do well due to some sort of ambiguous loss of developer respect is the actual bigger pipedream here.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
d2 is garbage compared to poe. the amount of build diversity and endgame on offer would keep most players playing for a couple of weeks at best and then they would come right back.

I mean I understand that the PoE forum isnt exactly a paradise for Diablo fans, but cmon.

A Remastered Diablo 2 will do incredibly well. Also this common misconception that PoE is incredibly deep is absurd. Dont get me wrong, I like PoE, been playing for years, but Diablo is Diablo.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Icholas wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
d2 is garbage compared to poe. the amount of build diversity and endgame on offer would keep most players playing for a couple of weeks at best and then they would come right back.

Yes.

Its not a zero sum game. You can play both. That being said it's likely you would play one more than the other.

yeah, itll do well, people will play both, they will play d2 for a couple of weeks, level a few characters, and with no endgame and no horde of build diversity or content to play those builds in they will come back to poe that theyve been playing for 6 years and keep playing it.

diablo is diablo, yeah, a relic. i had diablo 1 when it first came out, d2, lod, they were great. r-type was great, chaos engine was great, lemmings was great, a lot of things WERE great. none of them are games that anyone would spend any amount of time playing now in their original state.

you cant just remaster d2 and have it be an active ladder game that people will desert poe for and play 40 hours a week for 6 years. 40 hours a week for 2 weeks, thats about as much as that game has to offer. d2 needs a lot of mods that take it away from its original game to even come close to a modern long term grinder. it was never designed as a long term game, it offers nothing to support an endgame grind in the way ppl expect it in 2019.

grim dawn has more endgame stuffs than d2, and probably more builds etc. how many people who went from poe to play grim dawn stayed there as the main game they will play day in day out for years? 1%? i bet its around there. what it is: a game you go and play, you level a character, maybe 2, and then within 2 weeks go back to poe. then maybe 8 months later you go and spend another 2 weeks there in league downtime. they are not games that can compete with poe as a game that is lived in long term like an mmo.

diablo 4 is a legitimate threat to poe. if that game is even remotely good, even "meh, yeah its alright" then a significant amount of people will move over to it as their main thing. forget diablo 2, thats a cute little thing, if they let people significantly mod it maybe the path of diablo/median type stuff will have a new skin to play in. but diablo 4 is where you have to presume any new content will be. itll have to be absolutely awful to not have a significant impact on poe. i think we have to presume this will be a game that millions of people will play and 100,000s will play in a long term ladder fashion, if thats the kind of game it will be, and its safe to presume it will be right? it all comes down to what lessons they learned from d3, if theyre even half tuned in the game will be colossal, all the clues as to where they went wrong with d3 are there to be seen.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:

I would argue that Vaniila did very well. Hearthstone & Overwatch are in decent places also. I see no reason why a Diablo 2 Remaster wouldn't perform well either, allowing some development time for D4.

I suppose it's cool to hate on Blizzard atm, but to think D2 Remastered wouldnt do well due to some sort of ambiguous loss of developer respect is the actual bigger pipedream here.

well they released wow classic right? if d4 is maybe 2 or 3 years away i can see a d2 remaster being a thing for sure.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I'm not 'hating' on Blizzard for anything related to their current predicament. And D2 Remastered will probably do okay - and by okay I mean it'll successfully attract the small crowd that still play D2 to this day. Not much Blizzard can do to fuck that up. That has no bearing on D4 though. I mean think about it - D3 came following the classic that was D2, and before all this baggage (both in gaming and non-gaming terms), and still failed! So why would you imagine D4 is going to automatically succeed? It could, sure, but only if Blizzard absolutely hits it out of the park (since it has to make up for a lot of built-up animosity by now) rather than just because it's a Blizzard game. And at that point we may as well be speculating about virtually any game developer making the next big ARPG (or, at least, any developer with sufficiently deep pockets). D4 succeeding or not isn't gonna have anything to do with Blizzard making it, if anything it might very well be in spite of it.

And regarding your examples, you might as well play Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor or Last Epoch then. Cos as successful as those games are, they're not regarded as particularly deep or complex (at least Overwatch certainly isn't). PoE is complex (ask a newbie, if you don't feel it anymore after so many years learning it), so is Warframe. Inquisitor is...decent. So is Last Epoch. Not as intricate as GGG or DE's games. But if you're okay with that, just play those games. What need is there for D4? Cos if D4 is gonna be like Overwatch, then it isn't even appealing to the same preferences that PoE is. And you don't need to wait to play Inquisitor, it's even got an expansion out already.

Edit: Or Grim Dawn. Pretty good game, that.
Last edited by Exile009 on Oct 21, 2019, 4:02:43 PM
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I'm not 'hating' on Blizzard for anything related to their current predicament. And D2 Remastered will probably do okay - and by okay I mean it'll successfully attract the small crowd that still play D2 to this day. Not much Blizzard can do to fuck that up. That has no bearing on D4 though. I mean think about it - D3 came following the classic that was D2, and before all this baggage (both in gaming and non-gaming terms), and still failed! So why would you imagine D4 is going to automatically succeed? It could, sure, but only if Blizzard absolutely hits it out of the park (since it has to make up for a lot of built-up animosity by now) rather than just because it's a Blizzard game. And at that point we may as well be speculating about virtually any game developer making the next big ARPG (or, at least, any developer with sufficiently deep pockets). D4 succeeding or not isn't gonna have anything to do with Blizzard making it, if anything it might very well be in spite of it.

And regarding your examples, you might as well play Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor or Last Epoch then. Cos as successful as those games are, they're not regarded as particularly deep or complex (at least Overwatch certainly isn't). PoE is complex (ask a newbie, if you don't feel it anymore after so many years learning it), so is Warframe. Inquisitor is...decent. So is Last Epoch. Not as intricate as GGG or DE's games. But if you're okay with that, just play those games. What need is there for D4? Cos if D4 is gonna be like Overwatch, then it isn't even appealing to the same preferences that PoE is. And you don't need to wait to play Inquisitor, it's even got an expansion out already.

Edit: Or Grim Dawn. Pretty good game, that.

D3 failed...LOL
- Abraham Lincoln
Diablo 3 was way too much of a deception I won't buy their games again.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
D3 failed...LOL

Well sure, if you just want to judge the threat that D4 represents by way of whether it can make a bunch of money off of its initial marketing hype regardless of staying power, then yeah I guess D4 represents a threat to PoE ... for about a year (at most). Lots of things have succeeded off of marketing. I don't really care if D4 makes its money back, only if it survives long enough to actually threaten PoE. And, well, look at D3 about that - it had historical advantages D4 won't - and PoE came out and grew during its height. D3 represented a far greater threat to PoE than D4 will ever be, and a far less developed PoE came out of nowhere and saw it off. So yeah, D3 failed. That doesn't mean it put Blizzard out of business, but it failed in any sense that ought to be relevant to PoE. And if D4 follows a similar trajectory, I'd call it a failure too - on the PoE forums.
Last edited by Exile009 on Oct 21, 2019, 4:35:59 PM
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
D3 failed...LOL

Well sure, if you just want to judge the threat that D4 represents by way of whether it can make a bunch of money off of its initial marketing hype regardless of staying power, then yeah I guess D4 represents a threat to PoE ... for about a year (at most). Lots of things have succeeded off of marketing. I don't really care if D4 makes its money back, only if it survives long enough to actually threaten PoE. And, well, look at D3 about that - it had historical advantages D4 won't - and PoE came out and grew during its height. D3 represented a far greater threat to PoE than D4 will ever be, and a far less developed PoE came out of nowhere and saw it off. So yeah, D3 failed. That doesn't mean it put Blizzard out of business, but it failed in any sense that ought to be relevant to PoE. And if D4 follows a similar trajectory, I'd call it a failure too - on the PoE forums.

What a bizzare measure of failure. Maybe you could say launch was rocky, or AH was a disaster, but the game as a whole? Hell when seasons are released now they outpace PoE player wise.

It's one of the greatest selling games of all time, and even if you wanted to say it was boosted by people being deceived, and piggybacked on D2, it doesnt explain continued sales, the expansions successes (reaper and necro), and the really good console ports. (PS4 Diablo 3 is great)

Edit: for clarity D2 Remaster and D4 are significant threats, but after the Tencent sellout,I'm not entirely sure GGG even cares. Chris got his 80+ million. (Estimate obviously)
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Oct 21, 2019, 4:51:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info