[3.11] Aquarism's Ice Shot [All Content]

It's been quite the time since I've posted here, and after some investment I can say Deadeye Barrage-Iceshot is definitely doing great if invested with ample currency. The advantage is it probably feels better at the high end vs other builds due to the movement speed and clearing gameplay.

Correct me if the viewpoint has changed but I believe Fork is still being advocated for and while it probably does well I strongly suggest trying out or swapping to chain, it simply functions far smoother to the point where you can shoot in a vicinity and care much less about angles etc. Goes without saying it does far more damage with the Deadeye (+10% dmg per chain).

Slottm has given great advice with excellent detail but for myself I found everything actually got easier once there was actually concentrated focus for damage and evasion on gear, rather than hp. E.g. at a certain point I was sitting at ~5.2k hp but 47% evasion and deaths were more of a phenomenon than current times. Obviously for bosses you may want to swap out tree points or certain gear (kaom's boots) for Uber Elder where certain mechanics should be nullified. With an awakened atlas killing things before they can initiate their attacks seem to be key. With higher damage it gets much easier to permafreeze bosses also. A tactic I like employing these days is actually using iceshot instead of barrage on bosses like Malachai from T15 Core.

Pandemonius and Voidfletcher definitely are NOT baits, the guaranteed blind helps massively. Thing about voidfletcher is it isn't calculated properly in the PoB, it's definitely superior to the quiver generation imo. But a major reason voidfletcher works so well is the interaction it has with the Heart of Ice annointment. It provides energy shield which is continually being regenerated by Heart of Ice - it's effectively ~200 more eHP.

Playing less these days with 8.3 WoW patch coming out in full force but feel free to message me if I'm online for some pointers regarding the chaotic joy that is Deadeye this league :P

Edit: I would also like to reiterate for the nodes next to Primeval Force (bottom right), it most definitely is ideal to not go for the top nodes but rather the bottom nodes (chance to freeze, shock, ignite). There was a slight lack of understanding for game mechanics that advocated for the former
Last edited by gawddawg on Jan 19, 2020, 3:59:03 PM
Here is my take in the build:

https://pastebin.com/5EyD2G3Y

starting as Pathfinder i went to deadeye and then switched to raider for a massive boost in singletarget and way more dodge+evade.

running 8 frenzy that are always up, getting tailwind of my boots i feel no difference in clear to beeing deadeye.

iam trying GMP over added cold on my iceshot clear, a bit unsure what i like more cause i clear the screen with any click either way. probably going GMP for even more area coverage.

i might have missed it, but i didnt see anyone mention culling strike gloves. I feel that this helps immense against metamorphs and bosses.

why is noone using yoke of the suffering as amulet? Pandemonius is ~50k more dps if i dont count shock. Blind is covered with the claw notes - i dont see a reason to skip yoke as it gives realy nice resist too.

a bit unsure where to go next with my gear, switched to my quiver a few hours ago as it gives ~350k more barrage dps over voidfletcher with added fire corruption. Singletarget feels the same, and one more arrow is always welcome for clear.

killed AWK8 Sirus - iam so bad at mechanics that i needed 4 trys before i succeded.

Thanks for your effort creating and supporting this build to anyone.
"
bcutter wrote:

starting as Pathfinder i went to deadeye and then switched to raider for a massive boost in singletarget and way more dodge+evade.

running 8 frenzy that are always up, getting tailwind of my boots i feel no difference in clear to beeing deadeye.

iam trying GMP over added cold on my iceshot clear, a bit unsure what i like more cause i clear the screen with any click either way. probably going GMP for even more area coverage.

i might have missed it, but i didnt see anyone mention culling strike gloves. I feel that this helps immense against metamorphs and bosses.

why is noone using yoke of the suffering as amulet? Pandemonius is ~50k more dps if i dont count shock. Blind is covered with the claw notes - i dont see a reason to skip yoke as it gives realy nice resist too.

a bit unsure where to go next with my gear, switched to my quiver a few hours ago as it gives ~350k more barrage dps over voidfletcher with added fire corruption. Singletarget feels the same, and one more arrow is always welcome for clear.

killed AWK8 Sirus - iam so bad at mechanics that i needed 4 trys before i succeded.

Yo dude, really cool that you experimented with a lot of things and found what you liked, sounds fun. I think the power of Pandemonius is in the 100% blind, vs the 10% from claw nodes. But the true power of it is the cold pen + cold damage, which you can enhance with the turbulent catalyst, ~34% cold damage and 24% cold pen which is veryyyy big. the ~30-40% cold resist also helps heaps on top of that for balancing resists.

Good point on the culling strike, I think people can use it on the gloves like you said or linked with blink arrow.

btw what else do you like about raider specifically? I've wanted to try it out - seems cool
Last edited by _TheQue_ on Jan 20, 2020, 8:05:16 AM
"
gawddawg wrote:
It's been quite the time since I've posted here, and after some investment I can say Deadeye Barrage-Iceshot is definitely doing great if invested with ample currency. The advantage is it probably feels better at the high end vs other builds due to the movement speed and clearing gameplay.

Correct me if the viewpoint has changed but I believe Fork is still being advocated for and while it probably does well I strongly suggest trying out or swapping to chain, it simply functions far smoother to the point where you can shoot in a vicinity and care much less about angles etc. Goes without saying it does far more damage with the Deadeye (+10% dmg per chain).

Slottm has given great advice with excellent detail but for myself I found everything actually got easier once there was actually concentrated focus for damage and evasion on gear, rather than hp. E.g. at a certain point I was sitting at ~5.2k hp but 47% evasion and deaths were more of a phenomenon than current times. Obviously for bosses you may want to swap out tree points or certain gear (kaom's boots) for Uber Elder where certain mechanics should be nullified. With an awakened atlas killing things before they can initiate their attacks seem to be key. With higher damage it gets much easier to permafreeze bosses also. A tactic I like employing these days is actually using iceshot instead of barrage on bosses like Malachai from T15 Core.

Pandemonius and Voidfletcher definitely are NOT baits, the guaranteed blind helps massively. Thing about voidfletcher is it isn't calculated properly in the PoB, it's definitely superior to the quiver generation imo. But a major reason voidfletcher works so well is the interaction it has with the Heart of Ice annointment. It provides energy shield which is continually being regenerated by Heart of Ice - it's effectively ~200 more eHP.

Playing less these days with 8.3 WoW patch coming out in full force but feel free to message me if I'm online for some pointers regarding the chaotic joy that is Deadeye this league :P

Edit: I would also like to reiterate for the nodes next to Primeval Force (bottom right), it most definitely is ideal to not go for the top nodes but rather the bottom nodes (chance to freeze, shock, ignite). There was a slight lack of understanding for game mechanics that advocated for the former

with enough damage, the bonus from richochet becomes insignificant, for a clearing link either of the 3 works fine, i just prefer fork.

the most you can get from voidfletcher is 84 energy shield since acrobatics makes all es 30% less. that said it is still a good quiver for quick burst damage. I have done calculations accounting voidshot damage, a rare quiver still seems better with frenzy gen.

for primaeval force, can you elaborate what mechanics I am overlooking?
even if you have 100% chance to shock, you still cant shock bosses without enough lightning damage.

"
bcutter wrote:

Thanks for the mention, I have added culling strike to the gearing section.
My Ice Shot Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2660684

Standard Crafting Service: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2623978
"
gawddawg wrote:
"
bcutter wrote:

btw what else do you like about raider specifically? I've wanted to try it out - seems cool

i cant check for exact numbers since iam at work, but when i keep the tree and the POB config the same raider gave me like

40% more DPS
20% more dodge
30% more evade

I use Chain in my Iceshot setup, and using GMP feels the same as beeing Deadeye (as u have Tailwind from boots)

I got another arrow of my quiver since i changed from Voidfletcher and use added cold for more DPS again. Getting additional arrow of Opus, Quiver and Dying Sun is more the enough to cover the screen. For delving i like GMP more because it hits EVERYTHING in my way and i dont have to stop to shoot again. Mirage archer asside ;)

To me beeing raider "feels" tankier too. I drop T16 Metamorphs in 2-4 sec. depending on mods. Conquerers die before they start doing anything. But i need flasks, so i might leave the map to refill flasks after die Map-boss is dead.

I do get oneshottet here and there, and leveling past 95 is a PITA but its possible. Trying to get sulphite cap and start ~50k sulphite with ~50% xp should push me to 96 soon.

still debating on Yoke -> Pandeminus. 10% Blind with our attackspeed is more then enough to blind reliably i assume. and yoke is more dmg when you account the status ailments dmg bonus.

cheers

Last edited by bcutter on Jan 20, 2020, 5:40:38 AM

finished it, exalt slam hit phys cold, so im fine with that and leave it this way :)
Dang juicy neck up there
Last edited by gawddawg on Jan 20, 2020, 10:08:51 AM
"
Aquarism wrote:
"
gawddawg wrote:

with enough damage, the bonus from richochet becomes insignificant, for a clearing link either of the 3 works fine, i just prefer fork.

the most you can get from voidfletcher is 84 energy shield since acrobatics makes all es 30% less. that said it is still a good quiver for quick burst damage. I have done calculations accounting voidshot damage, a rare quiver still seems better with frenzy gen.

for primaeval force, can you elaborate what mechanics I am overlooking?
even if you have 100% chance to shock, you still cant shock bosses without enough lightning damage.

"
bcutter wrote:

Thanks for the mention, I have added culling strike to the gearing section.

Hey Aquarism, thanks for the build and all the work you put in for fellow Deadeye players.

Every player decides to play the game at their own pace which is great, innately though PoE is a min-maxing wonderland and many are approaching comfortable wealth about 5 weeks in, hence it would be feasible to state below what the endgame is transitioning into.

Mmm preferring fork is fine since they all feel different, hence stylistically it may be more a vibe an individual could like.
I'm not sure I'd easily accept the "with enough damage" notion though, it takes a lot of currency to be at the stage where ice shot one or two shots mobs, but as stated before the power isn't really in the dmg per chain but obviously the extra chain combined with Awakened Chain support. That being said, the dmg per chain becomes more relevant for players who are still investing and absolutely need the damage, as the Awakening map modifiers require you to clear pretty quick to spawn and defeat conquerors (if that's your thing). This is definitely if boss damage is covered obviously. Not counting conqueror gameplay where you can spawn them at white maps though, even at the high end mapping scene the chain seems to be solely favoured.

Yeah Voidfletcher itself only provides around 80es - paired with fractal thoughts though (which definitely seems to be the end-goal helm) ES hp gets to about ~200. I think the sacrifice or compromise with going the frenzy quiver is the emphasis on the frenzy nodes, which also does not seem to be the go at the endgame scene. If generating them with only a boss nearby, tbh there doesn't seem to be much of a point if you kill them before the charges are generated.

For primeval force I believe it was Slottm pushing for it actually - yep perhaps bosses are a different story with SHOCK, but the freeze and ignite basically secure the additional chance to proc (granted you have at least a tiny bit of fire damage from jewels etc). The shock would also be less of a hindrance to apply on non-bosses hence even a little lightning damage is what people gear towards. Ignite working very well with Cinderswallow (crafted with crit) which works great in the mapping scenario. Discounting bosses though, the majority of what is fought is obviously the normal, magic and rare mobs for which the extra chance to freeze is incredibly welcome. I believe those 2 nodes are actually what make ignite and shock practically applicable (as long as you have a tiny bit of fire/lightning flat) instead of the other way around where you'd only rely on the damage being the source of ailments.

I'm aware that crits guarantee the ailments, however even with a watcher's eye crit chance is around ~60% hence the additional freeze is an incredible safety net. Comes down to the easy question of if you want to prioritise free safety for "on paper/tooltip" 4% of elemental damage and technically less practical damage
"
bcutter wrote:
"
gawddawg wrote:
"
bcutter wrote:

i cant check for exact numbers since iam at work, but when i keep the tree and the POB config the same raider gave me like

40% more DPS
20% more dodge
30% more evade

I use Chain in my Iceshot setup, and using GMP feels the same as beeing Deadeye (as u have Tailwind from boots)

I got another arrow of my quiver since i changed from Voidfletcher and use added cold for more DPS again. Getting additional arrow of Opus, Quiver and Dying Sun is more the enough to cover the screen. For delving i like GMP more because it hits EVERYTHING in my way and i dont have to stop to shoot again. Mirage archer asside ;)

To me beeing raider "feels" tankier too. I drop T16 Metamorphs in 2-4 sec. depending on mods. Conquerers die before they start doing anything. But i need flasks, so i might leave the map to refill flasks after die Map-boss is dead.

I do get oneshottet here and there, and leveling past 95 is a PITA but its possible. Trying to get sulphite cap and start ~50k sulphite with ~50% xp should push me to 96 soon.

still debating on Yoke -> Pandeminus. 10% Blind with our attackspeed is more then enough to blind reliably i assume. and yoke is more dmg when you account the status ailments dmg bonus.

cheers

Interesting points, seems to be doing really well for you and sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for the insights I may play raider in the future

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info