Performance and Stability

"
Dopebear wrote:
This has been the case for how many years now? And it only gets worse. So many words, so little change.

have to agree with this one. this not first time ggg got "serverside performance issues".

"
Kunaak wrote:
At some point, you really should get rid of the "loot explosion" of useless stuff.

even the default game now has a built in loot filter.
When 99.9% of all items that ever drop in this game are ignored, and never seen, why even have it there?

That happening for a few hundred thousand game sessions (I am guessing) with thousands on monsters per map, 24 hours a day, has got to be a gigantic resource hog in calculations, all for something no one cares about.

Gigantic amounts of loot, that will never be seen, and is entirely ignored, is just a relic from a time long since gone from ARPGs.
People want good gear now, thats why the loot filters exist.

How much could it help to not have all that random caculations on worthless loot that is never even seen?

Exactly !!!
People will complain when u change drop rates at first, however at the end they will appreciate it.
I am using vert old NV GF650 1GB VRam and latest driver 436.30 and did not crash, guess it seem not affecting all NVidia user
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
"
In Blight, there are a lot of monsters and they have a lot of life. What normally happens when you engage a pack of monsters is that your attacks quickly cull out the weak ones, leaving just a few strong targets. In Blight, however, the weak ones last for much longer. As you know, Path of Exile has a very complicated stat system with tens of thousands of different values that your character can have. Many of these are used in combat calculations and dozens of small buffs, debuffs and ailments are applied to monsters as you attack them. The more monsters there are, and the longer they survive your attacks for, the longer these calculations take. Blight combat is an order of magnitude more strenuous on our servers than regular map content.

Once we knew that we had serverside performance issues with Blighted Maps, we wanted to check whether we could improve this issue by adding more servers. We observed that on physical game servers with different numbers of game instances, the number of dropped frames per instance was not higher on more heavily-loaded servers. This showed that the problem is related to specific instances utilising an entire CPU core for more than 33ms, rather than the server itself having too many instances on it. Throwing more money/servers at the problem would not solve it.

We are working on this problem and trying to find a solution that will reduce the calculation complexity without compromising gameplay.

And this ladies and gentleman is a reason why EVERY SINGLE TOWER DEFENCE GAME IN THE UNIVERSE HAVE WAVES. We told you the moment you announced Blight, that it will be a massive clusterfuck, but you didn't listen. And look where we are now.

All you need to do is set amount of mobs per wave with 10-20 seconds pause and option to skip pause, that's all. Suddenly most of the performance problems are gone.
I'm not entirely sure why alot of calculations cant be made static only changed when its triggered. But regardless of that...

I gotta say I've not seen a company be so upfront about shortcomings and owning up to their decisions I'm really impressed by the way you guys handle alot of your consumer relations and communication if that's the right words.

As a console player often felt we are left in the cold a bit, I appreciate the reassurance. Although a little present wouldn't go amiss *wink wink* Thanks to the whole team and keep it up

*cough* map device sale *cough*
I currently stopped playing PoE because my computer doesn't seem to handle the game anymore...
I'll second Vulkan API.

Getting away from the dx bloatware and onto a universal API would be a huge deal.

ID optimized the shit outta Vulkan and doom runs incredible because of it...
"
We felt it was important to post this before the weekend so that you know that the concern has been heard.

Yeah, that's why you continue to introduce SFX and art that absolutely eviscerate performance over time.

No other game I've played that has had any semblance of continual updates has had this issue.

I've upgraded my computer TWICE since I started playing this game.

More correctly, I've HAD to upgrade it, in order to continue playing.

League after league you get performance issue posts, and league after league you continue to gut people's hardware.

Most of us wouldn't give a crap if the game looks prettier. Take a look at WoW if you need an example of people who will play on archaic graphics if the gameplay is there.

Trim it back.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Sep 20, 2019, 2:45:47 AM
TBH i didn't noticed any of these issue expect for one, which is "extension is not available" or something like that. I was playing through steam at that moment, but when i have installed the official launcher and game from it, the issue were gone. I Do not experience anykind of lag, fps drops etc and i am playing 74 minion build ~~
New API means just new bugs.
You can't ducttaping vulkan api and expect anything good.
The game is fucked up.
Deal with it and buy a new top tier rig in order to struggle only from server-side lags.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info