Performance and Stability

"
We have noticed unusually high memory usage, likely due to loading too many game assets.

Too many mtx's. I remember back then, where mtx where cool, now they are just common things...
24.1.2018 [quote="Dro28"]wheres my fragment tab?[/quote]

(I thought that was a joke)

25.1.2018: GGG- Introducing the Fragment Stash Tab!
Thanks Chris. Hopefully the performance will get better in the near future.
Well, at least you guys wrote a post about it. Hopefully this has served notice about how bad your technical debt is as you try to forge ever forward with league releases and more and more content.

Because while it's great you realize that this league's content is borked for aforementioned reasons, I hope dearly that you realize how badly and how many contents and systems need an identical high-priority full refactor, bugfixing, and optimization. You're already almost years behind yourselves on this.
As I said when Blight was released, PoE simply is no Tower Defence Game - maybe accept it GGG?
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
At some point, you really should get rid of the "loot explosion" of useless stuff.

even the default game now has a built in loot filter.
When 99.9% of all items that ever drop in this game are ignored, and never seen, why even have it there?

That happening for a few hundred thousand game sessions (I am guessing) with thousands on monsters per map, 24 hours a day, has got to be a gigantic resource hog in calculations, all for something no one cares about.

Gigantic amounts of loot, that will never be seen, and is entirely ignored, is just a relic from a time long since gone from ARPGs.
People want good gear now, thats why the loot filters exist.

How much could it help to not have all that random caculations on worthless loot that is never even seen?
"

It may seem arbitrary and defensive for us to point out the difference between the engine and the gameplay systems, but the reason is that the engine is going to be part of Path of Exile forever, but the gameplay code comes and goes as things are added and removed. We don't want leagues to have performance issues, and this informs the decisions we make about future content development.

No one with any common sense is asking for an engine rebuild from the ground up. What we do want is an option to reduce or turn off particle effects particular including the frozen ground from ice shot, literally every type of 'burning ground mod', gore from belly of the beast and of course a global reduction of mob size offset by increased exp gain per mob. Nuking 60 ones in one click is great and fun but there is a threshold where that fun is offset by trememendous drops in fps.

This fps drop occurs in nearly every mechanic the game has including abyss, harbinger, densely popuated breaches, beyond, and of course blight. In order to play end game players are forced to stack all these mechanics on top of each on top of high pack size maps and multi sextants that also add mobs. Effectively, the higher up you go in poe the worse and worse your performance gets and that's horrible.

I have likely donated 1000 or more usd to this game and will continue to do so but being able to play this game at a steady 100-120 fps is crucially important to me and I know it can be done or at the very least be improved over what it is right now. I've spent even more on my pc and it is still not enough to get steady 100-120 fps.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Sep 20, 2019, 1:45:08 AM
a engine can be patched up to a limit meaning new engine needed not a old one with more patches branded new engine.

and i agree with kunaak the nr of items drops that u never gonna pick up needs to be removed this would improve performance. 99% of drops u never pick up because filter never shows them or have any use for you.

once you reach a certain lvl some items shouldnt even drop since u never gonna pick them up
Last edited by Joker2988 on Sep 20, 2019, 6:46:26 PM
Thanks Chris, for your constant attention and willingness to openly talk about and address these issues to the community. Very interesting to hear what goes on behind the scenes, and I for one, would love to hear more.
Did you know kiwi (kiwifruit) are actually berries, and it is a national fruit of China? Also, their name is a big marketing ploy by a major exporter, New Zealand.
Delve fractured wall guide: view-thread/2204851
Legion Emblem Carry thread: view-thread/2598853
tldr: blight league server lag and crashes -might- be fixed. any other kind of lag: too bad!
Pristine game performance should be the top priority at all times during devwlopement. You should really consider skipping a league or two to work on perfoance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info