[3.11] Flameblast/Vaal Flameblast Ignite Trickster (EB+MOM)

Hey, recently I decided to theorycraft some cool ignite build. My idea was to achieve both strong single target, clear and tankiness. As it turned out in practice, I am very positively suprised by the power of this build and the smoothness of playstyle. I am leaving some basic guide as well as personal comments in case someone was interested in trying out something different and yet enjoyable to play.

Path of building
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/64xAgJnf

If you are having trouble with importing the build it might be because the version of POB I am using is a fork of the original version(you can look up LocalIdentity). The developer of the original POB is working in GGG now and has less time to develop this application. So community created a fork to this program with much more functionality. I can't tell whether the compatibility issues are always persistent but either way I recommend using that POB version.

https://github.com/PathOfBuildingCommunity/PathOfBuilding/releases

Pros/cons
Spoiler

Pros:
- clearing packs with split second flameblast taps thanks to ignite proliferation
- powerful bosskiller
- high EHP pool on top of multiple layers of defence

Cons:
- channeling playstyle may take some time to get used to
- can't do ele refl and elemental ailment avoidance map mods

My gear overview
Spoiler

General gear overview
Spoiler

Weapon: Searing touch is pretty much best in slot no matter what. It has basically everything this build would want as mods. Theorethically, crafting a better rare staff is possible, but I can guarantee it would be incredibly difficult to craft anything to beat searing touch. If you would still want to try, go for scorched+aetheric on ilvl84 staff with block implicit (not warstaff) and look for +3fire gem, 60+ fire dot multi and 30+ cast speed.
I do not recommend using two 1h or 1h+shield, though you can go for 1h+shield if you really want to be even tankier.

Body armour: Carcass Jack is a great choice as it provides both decent life and synergy with escape artist as being dex/int base to get us a bunch of ES and evasion. On top of that, some area and dmg is also useful.
Other option would be a rare shaped chest with +1 gems and good life on a sadist garb base. You can have your 6-link either on chest or staff, so you can have some flexibility here.

Helmet: Preferably look for 40% flameblast dmg, but it is not crucial. Since we want to take advantage of escape artist, it is a good idea to use a ES base (hubris circlet). It's a bit tricky to craft as we would want both good life and ES rolls and we only have 3 prefixes, so it is a bit tricky to use either dense or pristine fossils. What I did was just use single scorched fossils and try to hit -9fire res mod and then hope that the rest works so that you can either craft extra life or ES

Gloves: Since 3.8 and introduction of fire dot multi, it is possible to get such mod on shaped gloves. Just try to find gloves with that mod, good life and resists if possible

Boots: You can have a bunch of freedom here, obviously we would want 30+ movement speed, good life and resists. I recommend using boots with temple mod of dodge, as it is a basically free mod which grants us extra defence. Getting a good enchant is also a bonus

Belt: Of course life, resists. There is a good number of extra possibilities here. Some good mods we may want to have which can be either temple or elder are %life, life recovery rate, reduced flask charges used, fire dmg, elemental dmg. Since we are EB+MOM, crystal belt has a really good implicit to utilise

Rings: Here we should simply get us much life as possible and fill our resists. Flat energy shield is also fine

Amulet : Impresence with free flammability. This curse is a great dps boost for us, and it also has good life. Maddenning presence is also a nice buff which has pretty much perma uptime during mapping and slows enemies by 10%.
Alternatively, you can use soltice vigil, but I believe that flammability is much better for us than temporal chains. Oh, and annoint Arsonist, it's a very good notable

Flasks : One instant life flask with bleed removal, granite/basalt flask with freeze removal, quicksilver flask of adrenaline. Two unique flask to utilise are cinderswallow urn and soul catcher. They are basically utility flask we would use anyways ( silver and quartz flask) but they also grant HUGE extra bonuses. Cinderswallow is just incredible, 10% extra dmg, life and ES sustain, stun avoidance, as well as extra aesthethic of unique green burning animation. Soul catcher allows as to cast powerful vaal flameblasts very often, it requires low amount of souls so you can almost spam those skills

Jewels : Look for life, fire dot multi, fire dmg, burning dmg, minion dmg, cast speed, energy shield. If you can get hands on a good watcher's eye, enemies take ailments 15% faster while affected by malevolence is a straight up dmg multiplier (which isn't calculated by pob btw)

Ascendancy:
Spoiler

Patient reaper -> Prolonged pain -> Ghost dance -> Escape artist

If you don't intend to level with dot skill, you can take ghost dance before prolonged pain

Gems:
Spoiler

vaal flameblast+ ignite proliferation+ deadly ailments+ infused channeling+ burning damage+ combustion

malevolence+ vaal discipline+ enlighten3

scorching ray+ spell totem

storm brand+ increased critical strikes+ cast when damage taken+ immortal call

flamedash+ faster casting

aspect of the spider (crafted on some gear)

Levelling:
Spoiler

If you want to level with flameblast, you can use for example freezing pulse till level 28. If so, you may want to also use lightning spire trap for extra single target. Flameblast might need some cast speed to feels smooth, so it is up to you, for levelling you can use fireball or even something completely different instead. Either way, you can't go wrong with lifesprigs, goldrim, wanderlust, tabula and lochtonial.

General tips
Spoiler

We are using flameblast, a chanelling skill with expanding area. What should be understood is that almost entire dmg comes from the ignite, not the hit itself. Therefore, during clearing it is absolutely sufficient to rapidly tap somewhere in the pack without channeling, move on and let the ignite proliferation do the job. The only situation where we would want to build 10 stages is to preload dmg on boss encounter. Vaal flameblast is a very useful tool. It basically works like a reverse flameblast, with large initial radius which then shrinks with extra explosions. It feels like sending nuke, so usually use it whenever feeling that some large pack or boss needs to die immediately.
I should also touch a bit on our defences and how to build them. We are using EB+MOM, which makes energy shield both protect our life and be our mana pool for casting skills. It also allows us to fully reserve our mana, so obviously take full advantage of that. Aim for 8k+ combined EHP pool, and learn a trick : get your life number, multiply by 3, and divide by 7. That should be AT LEAST the amount of energy shield you should have. This way, we are fully protecting our life, while making sure we will not run out of ES to cast skills(and if it ever happens, just press vaal discipline). When it comes to reserving mana, to achieve a good setup, we should be very precise. Fortunately for that it's sufficient to get sovereignty notable without taking small passives and get enlighten3 . Our setup is then malevolence+ vaal discipline + aspect of the spider, which reserves 99% of total mana.
Lastly, flameblast is a niche skill that you need to get a good feeling of which keybind to use, as well as for vaal flameblast. Just make sure to feel smooth with it as you want to be hovering with cursor over desirable area while holding channel. It actually ofscreens pretty well, for example during blight encounters where you can use minimap to blow waves before they even appear on your screen.
I greatly recommend trying it out, I've managed to clear all content with this build without dying pretty much at all, it's very tanky and I can only say that uber elder kills are deathless and smoother than I had on CI vortex occultist or cyclone slayer, and the map clear feels great.
If there is anything that you think I've missed or you have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be glad to answer. Have a good one!
Last edited by Grozaa on Jun 19, 2020, 4:18:59 AM
Last bumped on May 3, 2021, 3:12:17 PM
I've been leveling this up. It's fun so far! Thanks for the guide. I'll give an update when I really dig my heels in at some maps.
I just hit yellow maps with this build today. It feels really smooth. Just dab packs with flameblast and watch as they melt. Every boss so far has died to just 1 flameblast. Will be fun to see how this pans out in endgame.
What about blight maps? Easy?
"
RichRamp wrote:
What about blight maps? Easy?

Of course, it's actually very good for doing blighted maps with the ignite proliferation. I'd say this build is capable of doing any content as I easily cleared things like uber elder, shaper, rippy t16s and all delve bosses except aul which I haven't found in my mine.
Having said that, this build (just like any other build :) ) isn't immune to crashes in blighted maps, but still the flameblast is way less fps-heavy than most of the other stuff(especially necros).
What pantheons do you recommend?
"
TheFrequency wrote:
What pantheons do you recommend?

Soul of solaris as major and soul of shakari with poison immunity as minor. It is obviously not locked though and depends on your current needs,flask setup etc.
SSF or HC viable?
🥓🔥🥓🔥BACON'S BOSS KILLING SERVICE!🔥🥓🔥🥓
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2640995/page/1
"
SSF or HC viable?

You can take my words with the grain of salt since I haven't been playing hc, but this build is naturally very tanky, I've been farming uber elders with it and never died. Sitting at over 9k EHP with 50% evasion as well as a bit of dodge and block. The sustain is also really good since being eb+mom and trickster 70% recovery rate of both life and ES (+possibly belt+watcher up to 110%) means the life regen, es recharge and vaal discipline and instant life flask and cinderswallow urn+trickster on kill effects combined will get you out of pretty much any trouble. Obviously, there are still some map mods to watch out for - ele reflect and to some extent also no regen - technically, no regen is still possible if you switch one flask to mana flask and rely on cinderswallow for sustain, but obviously wouldn't recommend running no regen in hc :) .

Speaking of ssf, yes, absolutely, though there is one gearing weakness I may outline - searing touch is an insane staff for this build, but if in ssf environment you won't be able to farm it, getting a rare alternative can be difficult. Of course you can still craft a decent rare staff, but it most likely won't be as good as searing touch, unless you can get something like this

Either way, going 1h+ shield or dual wielding is still fine, probably a bit less dmg but potentially even a bit tankier.

And if you would think about ssf hc, it's still possible but going eb+mom straight into maps requires some prior gearing so while it's viable I wouldn't go for it as a first character on leaguestart or something.

Hope my answer was useful.
"
Grozaa wrote:
"
SSF or HC viable?

You can take my words with the grain of salt since I haven't been playing hc, but this build is naturally very tanky, I've been farming uber elders with it and never died. Sitting at over 9k EHP with 50% evasion as well as a bit of dodge and block. The sustain is also really good since being eb+mom and trickster 70% recovery rate of both life and ES (+possibly belt+watcher up to 110%) means the life regen, es recharge and vaal discipline and instant life flask and cinderswallow urn+trickster on kill effects combined will get you out of pretty much any trouble. Obviously, there are still some map mods to watch out for - ele reflect and to some extent also no regen - technically, no regen is still possible if you switch one flask to mana flask and rely on cinderswallow for sustain, but obviously wouldn't recommend running no regen in hc :) .

Speaking of ssf, yes, absolutely, though there is one gearing weakness I may outline - searing touch is an insane staff for this build, but if in ssf environment you won't be able to farm it, getting a rare alternative can be difficult. Of course you can still craft a decent rare staff, but it most likely won't be as good as searing touch, unless you can get something like this

Either way, going 1h+ shield or dual wielding is still fine, probably a bit less dmg but potentially even a bit tankier.

And if you would think about ssf hc, it's still possible but going eb+mom straight into maps requires some prior gearing so while it's viable I wouldn't go for it as a first character on leaguestart or something.

Hope my answer was useful.

Thanks for the fast reply very useful. Cheers!
🥓🔥🥓🔥BACON'S BOSS KILLING SERVICE!🔥🥓🔥🥓
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2640995/page/1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info