[3.8] ShakCentral's Tornado Shot For Dummies

A Reference for the Rest of Us!

Do you wish you could play Tornado Shot, but feel intimidated by either the high cost of entry or the huge amount of "guides" on the forums and elsewhere? This guide is your one-stop-shop for all things Tornado Shot. Whether you want a character that you can upgrade over an entire league, a fast mapper with unlimited scaling, or a juiced up Standard league monster in all legacy gear, you'll find what you need inside.

Discover how to:

✔️ Level a bow build in a new league

✔️ Choose between different builds and pick the Tornado Shot that’s right for you

✔️ Prioritize upgrades and watch your build grow from goofball to godhood

✔️ Fly around maps at high speed, generating large amounts of currency

...and more!

10/11/19 Update: The next guide in my "For Dummies" series is in progress! Click Here to check out VORTEX For Dummies! The first few sections are done, and more is being updated every day. Thanks!

Foreword
Spoiler

My Other Guides

I am currently working on the second guide in the "For Dummies" series: Vortex For Dummies! Check it out. Warning: It's going to be a heavy work in progress for a while.

About the Author

I began playing Path of Exile in 2014. After a several-year break to begin a family, I returned to PoE around 2017 and have been playing steadily since. I streamed Path of Exile content for a while on Twitch, especially my participation in the “Kammell” races in 2018/19, but have taken a step back from streaming as my wife and I have begun foster care. I love writing, and am excited to contribute to the community in this way.

I enjoy playing fast builds, and fondly remember the old days of clearing Dried Lake with Vaal Spark in 30 seconds or less.

Dedication

To upp3r90, whose “fk hh” comment when discussing ranged builds inspired me to create this guide. ❤️❤️❤️

To Neek2514, who kept asking me to play a build that would benefit from his 19 Auras. This is that build. ❤️❤️❤️

Why Make Another Tornado Shot Guide? They're Everywhere!

This guide was born out of my own confusion in how to properly level and equip a Tornado Shot character. There is a dizzying amount of TS info "out there"; from Demi's Legacy gear Magic Finder, to the 400%+ Move Speed variant sweeping the temporary leagues, to Grimro's YouTube guides and Excel spreadsheets, to the new and exciting Champion Impale Tornado Shot build, I had no idea where to start, and where to turn if(when) I ran into issues.

My goal is for this guide to be the one-stop-shop for all things Tornado Shot. I'm heavily leaning on my own testing, the input of other Tornado Shot veterans, and all of the previously mentioned guides in order to consolidate the vast amount of info into an understandable and friendly format.

Table of Contents
Spoiler

NOTE:
Use the Index! Gems, uniques, terms, and more have been indexed for easy location. If you're looking for something specific within the guide, that is the place to start.

Part 1: Introduction to Tornado Shot
 1.1 - The Mechanics of Tornado Shot
 1.2 - Why Play Tornado Shot?
 1.3 - The Pros and Cons of Tornado Shot
 1.4 - Path(s) of Building and Brief Build Theory
 1.5 - Videos

Part 2: Leveling
 2.1 - Leveling in a fresh league or With a New Account
 2.2 - Leveling with twink gear
 2.3 - Full Leveling Guide
 2.4 - Leveling Guide tl;dr
 2.5 - Settling into Blood Aqueducts

Part 3: The Full Tornado Shot
 3.1 - Gem Setups
 3.2 - Immunities
 3.3 - Flasks
 3.4 - Jewels
 3.5 - Ascendancy, Bandits, and Pantheon Powers
 3.6 - Trade League Live Searches
 3.7 - Gearing For Low and Mid-Tier Maps
 3.8 - Gearing For Godhood
 3.9 - Full Purchase Order
 3.10 - Truly Unethical: Legacy Gearing in Standard League

Part 4: The Part of Tens
 4.1 - Ten Cheap Uniques That Can Substitute For Expensive Gear
 4.2 - Ten TV Shows to Watch While Farming Blood Aqueducts
 4.3 - Ten Builds To Play If You Need A Break From Tornado Shot

Part 5: FAQ, Index, And Changelog
 5.1 - Frequently Asked Questions
 5.2 - Index
 5.3 - Changelog

Part 1: Introduction to Tornado Shot

Spoiler

1.1 The Mechanics of Tornado Shot

Spoiler
How Does the Gem Work?

Here is a professionally made graphic for illustrative purposes:

When fired, an unlinked Tornado shot releases a single arrow with a 100% pierce chance. When the arrow impacts at its destination, 3 additional arrows shoot out from that point in random directions.

There are a few things to note about the mechanics of this skill:

1. A single target can only be hit by 1 of the secondary projectiles from each arrow fired by the initial Tornado Shot.

2. If an attack of Tornado Shot fires multiple projectiles, each projectile's secondary arrows can hit a single target one time.

3. Tornado Shot's initial projectile has a 100% chance to pierce, but its secondary projectiles do not have an inherant chance to pierce.

How Do You Build Around Tornado Shot?

This isn't a shock to anyone who has played a ranged build, but the mechanics of Tornado Shot beg the user to add as many additional projectiles and as much flat added damage as possible. Tornado Shot is particularly positioned to take extreme advantage of both.

Every additional projectile that you add to Tornado Shot is effectively 4 total projectiles, and each projectile not only offers greater AoE, but also increased single target damage through the hits from the secondary projectiles. The same goes for flat added damage. Each arrow takes advantage of that added damage and multiplies your damage to a high degree.

How Many Tornado Shot Builds Are There?

There are a surprisingly large number of viable ways to build Tornado Shot. For the most part, they revolve around being a clear speed oriented build, and require a very large investment to become decent at boss-killing. As stated above in the foreword, the current most popular builds in temporary leagues are:

1) Massive Movement Speed
        2) Magic Find Stacking
        3) Champion Impale

1.2 Why Play Tornado Shot?

Spoiler

Nerding Out: Mods and PoE Build Theory

If you've played Path of Exile for any length of time, you know that rares can have up to 6 mods; 3 prefix mods and 3 suffix mods. Unique items do not share these restrictions, and may have more than 6 mods as well as more than 3 mods of a type that would be considered "prefix" or "suffix" mods, as confirmed by Mark_GGG back in 2012:

The majority of Tornado Shot builds utilize unique items in nearly every item slot. Typical TS builds only use 1-2 rare items (ignoring an endgame dex-stacking bow) and they are purely a function of needing capped resistances. Because of this, Tornado Shot builds are quite literally designed to squeeze every possible drop of power and function out of each mod that is offered by its unique items.

This is why Tornado Shot is in a somewhat unique place among most other skills. A spellcaster might desire The Devouring Diadem helm (especially in 3.8) for the Eldritch Battery mod, but may be unable to utilize the veiled mod on the item. A summoner might equip Alberon's Warpath for the strength mod, but never really attack and therefore waste the added chaos damage to attacks mod.

Tornado Shot is so focused on its "gimmick" that it is starved for the things that most builds naturally get on rare gear, namely life and resists. Queen of the Forest is perhaps the best example of this. While the allure of the item is rightfully due to its massive movement speed bonus, the resists and life are hugely beneficial as well. Even something as small as the reduced damage taken from animals mod can be useful when the build is at its best in open outdoor maps that frequently have animal monster types.

It is my opinion that Tornado Shot makes better use of the combined mods on its gear than any other skill or build in Path of Exile.

Tornado Shot vs Melee

Tornado Shot's advantage over melee skills is, predictably, its range. The advantage goes beyond simply comparing attack ranges. Tornado Shot not only clears at a much greater distance, but its secondary projectiles also weaken or completely destroy additional packs off screen, making each Tornado Shot effectively clear an area that can be 5-6 times the clearing AoE capability of even the most competitive melee builds.

Tornado Shot vs Spells

Tornado Shot's advantage over spell skills is its speed and efficiency. Some spells can clear the entire screen, and some spells are very efficient with the number of skill uses required for clearing. Tornado Shot simply surpasses them all. While a spellcaster and a Tornado Shot player may both clear the screen with a single skill use, the spellcaster is quickly left behind, Flame Dashing to its next position, while the Tornado Shot player is moving somewhere in the 200-450% movement speed range, rapidly pulling in front of the caster.

Tornado Shot vs Other Ranged Skills

Tornado Shot's advantage over other ranged skills is its total package of clear speed, efficiency, and currency potential. Elemental Hit builds clear entire screens, but Tornado Shot also shatters. Kinetic Blast shatters entire screens, but Tornado Shot has better single target damage, can get started at a lower level, and can either be much faster or have comparable speed but massively increased magic find. Scourge Arrow has laughably higher single target DPS, but Tornado Shot will clear the boss's map 4-5x faster. You get the point. None of these skills are bad; they are just unfortunately in the same game as Tornado Shot.

1.3 The Pros and Cons of Tornado Shot

Spoiler
Pros

One of the fastest clearspeed builds in the game; can reach 450%+ movement speed
Incredibly efficient at generating currency
Shatters the screen, preventing any DD shenanigans
Great for farming white or yellow maps while you catch up on your favorite Netflix or Hulu shows

Cons

Not a boss killer without LUDICROUS amounts of investment.
Makes tons of currency, but most of it tends to be funneled right back into the build
Extraordinarily squishy; don't get hit
Few things are worse than leveling a bow character in a new league

1.4 Path(s) of Building and Brief Build Theory

Spoiler

I'm going to start with the obligatory, "Unless you really know what you're doing, please do not just yoink the PoB code and leave." Tornado Shot is a very fluid and finesse-y build, with a single item upgrade often requiring reworking of 4-5 gear pieces. In Section 3 we'll get into the full build theory, but I highly recommend at least reading over the following section before taking off.

The image below is the generally used (using other build guides and poe.ninja for reference) and accepted "skeleton" for a Tornado Shot build:

The alternate route is mostly used by players desiring the Point Blank keystone.

If you want to create your own version of Tornado Shot or hybridize different builds within or without this guide, this is where you should start. It's a 69/121 point tree that allows for flexibility. You can take jewel nodes, grab movement speed, get the claw nodes for Lioneye's Fall, etc. More experienced players will branch even more. I see many forgoing life nodes, relying on experience and positioning to prevent death. Building off of this skeleton are the PoB codes below. Each has a leveling tree and a final tree, gem setups, and both a basic set of "budget" gear and your end-game items.

NOTE 1: The gem setups in the guide do NOT include gem setups while leveling. Refer to the leveling guide in Part 2 for those. Additionally, only the absolutely necessary gem setups are listed. As will be discussed in the gem section in Part 3, there are quite a few options for many of your gem slots, including making money by leveling gems to sell.

NOTE 2: The end-game gear in each PoB is optimized and reflective of the build if you invested a huge amount of time and currency(All items are uncorrupted; that's a whole new ballgame). As stated before, TS is ridiculously upgradeable. I am not listing all of the progression that can be found within a single item. For instance, a Tombfist could have a PoB item for each of the following: 1 Abyssal Socket, 2 Abyssal Sockets, 2 sockets & max rolls, max rolls with Lab enchantment, max roll with a single corruption, & max roll with a double corruption. Instead, I'm listing what I would consider to be a finished piece of gear with no need for upgrading. To see a full list of item progression, see the Full Purchase Order in Part 3.

NOTE 2: For current temporary leagues, I recommend the Hyper Movement Speed build over the Magic Find build. Item quantity mods can no longer be rolled on items outside of Shaper amulets, so your stacking options are more limited.

Deadeye Budget-ish Hyper Movement Speed

https://pastebin.com/PFqK1zTd

With 320+% movement speed, this build is great for clearing maps as fast as you can control your character. I believe this to be the overall strongest Tornado Shot build for temporary leagues.

Deadeye Magic Find

https://pastebin.com/9YyT808r

This version of the build can reach the 100% quantity / 300% rarity mark against various types of enemies (frozen vs shocked, magic v white, etc), but reaching near-perfect quant rolls on the uniques is prohibitively more expensive than the Hyper Movement Speed build. This version can take white maps and spit out enough loot to make your loot filter go cross-eyed.

Deadeye Tanky Version

https://pastebin.com/MFqS1k1H

The Tanky TS Deadeye is an abomination. Focusing on huge life regen, 100% cold damage to keep enemies nice and frosty, and a nice Molten Shell + Endurance Charge setup, this build has quite a bit of life while still packing a pretty good punch. If super high tier mapping is your thing in a temporary league, I'd at least look over the build. Note that a massive portion of the DPS in this build comes straight from jewels, which will be quite expensive and make up for the somewhat lower cost of some other gear pieces.

NOTE: The last two PoBs are not my own. I do not currently use Standard for anything other than racing practice, and I have not yet played the Champion Impale version of Tornado Shot. I will link to the original guides in each section, and I encourage you to check them out and show some love to the build creators.

Raider Legacy Gear Version (Standard League Only)

https://pastebin.com/6rmNwmfx

This is lifted directly from DeMiGodking102's build guide to Legacy Magic Find Tornado Shot, which can be found here. Legacy gear can get so ridiculous that it's hard to even know where to begin constructing a PoB, and Demi has done an excellent job. To see where this build stacks up with the all time best gear that PoE has EVEr had to offer, check out his guide and build.

Champion Impale Version

https://pastebin.com/GNjPPABR

This build is from Imeperfection and can be found in his build guide here. This build has become increasingly popular since Legion league and is now a solid contender among Tornado Shot builds. Using a much higher focus on physical damage and the impale mechanic, I'm actually very excited to try out this build as soon as I can. Give it a shot!

1.5 Videos

Spoiler
Coming Soon!

Part 2: Leveling

Spoiler

2.1 Leveling in a Fresh League or With a New Account

Spoiler
        If you're new to the game, starting with 100,000 other players in a new league, or a speedrun addict (*raises hand), you're starting with no items and no currency. While veteran players make a big fuss out of leveling bow builds, Toxic Rain and Herald of Agony have solved much of that issue. Don't worry about unique items for now. Just move down a couple of sections and start with the Full Leveling Guide. Take your time and enjoy!

2.2 Leveling with Twink Gear

Spoiler

Uniques That Help The Leveling Process

There are a few uniques that will allow you to truly zoom zoom through the leveling process. If you want to twink your character, slap these bad boys on and crush everything.

2.3 Full Leveling Guide

Spoiler

The full leveling guide for Tornado Shot can be viewed here. This allows me to host future leveling guides for other builds in one place and reduces the character count for this guide.

2.4 Leveling Guide tl;dr 

Spoiler

Passive Tree

Here is the full tree for leveling. See the full guide for an Act-by-Act breakdown.

Gems

This is ripped straight from the full leveling guide. Here are the links in order to play Toxic Rain / Herald of Agony and level all of your end-game gems:

Toxic Rain + Mirage Archer + Void Manipulation + Vicious Projectiles. If you've found a 5L, add Deadly Ailments.

Herald of Agony + Damage on Full Life (Swap Faster Attacks to Blink Arrow) + Vicious Projectiles + Minion Damage. The 5 and 6 links for this are Withering Touch and Maim.

If you're taking a lot of damage, you could run a low level Cast when Damage Taken and Molten Shell setup.

Blink Arrow + Faster Attacks

You should be leveling Tornado Shot, Elemental Damage With Attacks, Greater Multiple Projectiles, Added Cold, Fork, Chain, Herald of Ice, Onslaught, Curse on Hit, Assassin's Mark, Grace, Vaal Haste (If you find one or can make or trade for it; we don't use regular haste), and Blood Rage. These are all for Tornado Shot later, so they can be leveled unlinked in any available slots. If you have additional slots, level as many additional Tornado Shot gems as possible.

2.5 Settling into Blood Aqueducts

Spoiler

To Kitava Or Not To Kitava

There is a legitimate argument to be made that Tornado Shot builds should cease all progress once they reach Blood Aqueducts in Act 9 and farm until they own a Tabula Rasa. Tornado Shot is so support starved that swapping to it on anything less than a 6-link is heavily discouraged. Thus, a percentage of people will farm into the 70s in BA while accumulating their Humility divination cards to trade for a Tabula.

While this is a viable strategy, I would argue that Toxic Rain and Herald of Agony have changed this conversation. They allow you to cruise through Acts 9 and 10, kill Kitava, and then begin to farm BA. You'll face a resistance penalty, but resists are easy to find on jewelry and gear.

Swapping to Tornado Shot

Once you have a Tabula Rasa, provided that you've been leveling the required gems for Tornado Shot as discussed in the leveling guide, you're ready to transition. Socket your 6-link T.Shot and get right back to farming. Blood Aqueducts is a great place to work on resists and the early purchases needed to transition into mapping. Check the Full Purchase Order in Part 3 for more info on when to transition from Blood Aqueducts to maps. Make sure your Herald of Ice and aura setups are in place as well before you begin farming. Finally, use the empties gear slots made available by Toxic Rain and Herald of Agony to level more Tornado Shot gems.

Part 3: The Full Tornado Shot

Spoiler

3.1 Gem Setups

Spoiler

In this section, we'll see the first reason that Tornado Shot is a great build - it relies on VERY few gems relative to other builds. This leaves us with many options of situational Vaal skills, but more importantly lets us level gems for profit while we run maps.

Tornado Shot BEFORE Rigwalds

Tornado Shot - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Mirage Archer - Elemental Damage With Attacks - Added Cold Damage - Fork

Tornado Shot AFTER Rigwalds

Tornado Shot - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Mirage Archer - Elemental Damage With Attacks - Added Cold Damage - Chain

Movement Skills

Blink Arrow - Faster Attacks. Optionally, you can slot a Flame Dash for some extra mobility during the B.Arrow cooldown, but it's totally optional.

Buffs

Herald of Ice - Onslaught - Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark.

Blood Rage - Grace - Vaal Haste. Do not turn on Haste - we only use it for the Vaal skill.

Utility

All utility skills are completely optional. Remember that any skill you use is another gem that could be leveling to sell later.

Portal - Cast on Death (or manual)

Cast When Damage Taken - Molten Shell - Lightning Golem

Making Money: Leveling Gems For Others

Green gems are the easiest to level for profit, as we have very high Dexterity. You can either level as many Tornado Shots as possible to Vaal at 20/20, use 1 for yoruself if you hit a 21/20, and sell the rest. Alternatively, use poe.ninja to assess the highest profit green gem and level those.

3.2 Immunities

Spoiler

Immunities are a huge part of survivability, not just in PoE, but for the Tornado Shot build particularly. The build often operates on such thin HP and resist margins that missing an immunity can be the difference between clearing a screen in one shot or dying to the first monster of the group.

Freeze Immunity

Freeze immunity can be achieved easiest in 1 of 2 ways. Firstly, a flask "of Heat" will provide the immunity and is the most common way of achieving this. Secondly, boots can be crafted with a "Cannot be frozen" mod. This is rare an expensive, but they exist.

Bleed Immunity

Bleed immunity will be achieved through flasks for a while. You're looking for the "of Staunching" mod on your flask. In the super late-game, you can Vaal your jewels or buy one to get the "Cannot be Inflicted With Corrupting Blood" mod.

Curse Immunity

Curse Immunity is important, especially for higher tier mapping, but not nearly as important as Freeze or Bleed, as those will straight-up kill you. Once you have achieved Freeze or Bleed immunity through a non-flask source, you can replace a flask suffix with "of Warding" to become curse immune.

3.3 Flasks

Spoiler
Main Flasks

A full Tornado Shot build has 3 flasks that are set in stone. These flasks are:

The Quicksilver flask is self-explanatory. Super high movement speed with increased effect. Ez pz.

The Experimenter's Jade Flask of Reflexes grants an absolute ass-load of Evasion Rating, which is crucial for both our movement speed and survivability. As many players already know and we will discuss below, our end-game chest piece grants movement speed based on our Evasion Rating, and we need to hit 45,000 to be at the movement speed cap.

The Dying Sun is also straight-forward. Extra projectiles is one of the best things we can add to a Tornado Shot build. Fire res and added AoE is icing on the cake for the game's best flask.

Optional Flasks

There are quite a few flasks you could use to fill out your remaining two flask slots. Until you have a Corrupting Blood jewel and another source of freeze prevention, I highly recommend using two non-unique flasks with the immunities discussed above. Here are some options for usable flasks in your final two slots:

3.4 Jewels

Spoiler

Unique Jewels

Lioneye's Fall

Lioneye's Fall converts all melee modifiers in its radius into bow modifiers. This allows us to convert some very powerful claw nodes, including life leech and mana leech, into bow modifiers by placing our Lioneye's Fall here:

Inspired Learning

Inspired Learning is a mini-headhunter, granting you 1 modifier from slain rare monsters. Note that Inspired Learning is completely optional, and many builds will forego this jewel for additional flat damage abyss jewels. For Inspired Learning to work, you must allocate 4 notables within its radius. Here is where to do this:

Watcher's Eye

Watcher's Eye is a jewel that has randomly assigned mods that grant bonus effects based on auras that the player has equipped. If you can get your hands on a Watcher's Eye, here are some good mods to look for:

-Critical strike multiplier while affected by Precision
        -Critical strike chance while affected by Hatred
        -%Cold damage while affected by Hatred
        -Flat cold damage while affected by Hatred
        -Cold damage penetration while affected by Hatred
        -Movement skill cooldown recovery speed while affected by Haste
        -Unaffected by Temp Chains while affected by Haste
        -Increased movement speed while affected by Grace

If you find a Watcher's Eye with any of these mods, feel free to re-configure your auras to support some of these, as they are very powerful.

Jeweling : Bandaid or Cannon?

In a perfect world, Tornado Shot players would use a trade website to locate a Searching Eye abyss jewel with 4 damage mods, purchase it, and be off to the races. Sadly, this isn't a perfect world, and jewels are often used to assist players in shoring up weak areas, specifically resists and attributes.

Use your jewel mods for resists and attributes sparingly and with reluctance. A huge percentage of the damage in a Tornado Shot build comes from Searching Eye abyss jewels. Save as much space for damage as possible, or you may be better off taking other notables.

NOTE for The Tempest users: Don't forget that The Tempest deals no physical damage. As long as you're using The Tempest, any "Added Physical damage" mods are complete blanks.

3.5 Ascendancy, Bandits, and Pantheon Powers

Spoiler
Ascendancy

Following Normal Lab, begin by taking Gathering Winds. 1000 Evasion Rating is nothing to scoff at for our survivability, and Tailwind provides both a substantial speed bonus to us and any other friends or party members.

After Cruel Lab, our only choice is Far Shot, as the final two ascendancies both branch off that. The damage bonus is very nice to have in the later Acts.

After Merciless Lab, I take Ricochet as long as I'm not playing a pre-geared character with a Tabula that is already using Tornado Shot. The Chain and damage is very valuable, and we can't take advantage of additional projectiles while leveling Toxic Rain.

Finally, after Uber Lab, take Endless Munitions. Extra projectiles and AoE are great ways to increase our damage, and the accuracy doesn't hurt in higher tier content either.

Bandit Reward

The bandit choice is simple: Help Alira. TS builds can have trouble capping resists, and this is 45% for free. Additional crit multi is phenomenal too.

Pantheon Powers

There are a number of viable choices for Pantheon powers for TS.

Major: Soul of Lunaris provides some needed defenses and gives a nice movement speed boost. It's upgraded powers give even more quality of life defenses. Soul of Arakaali is more specific, but helps a lot against chaos damage and shock.

Minor: Garukhan is great when upgraded for movement speed. Abberath could be viable in burning ground scenarios. Ralakesh helps provide some bleed defense if you wish to forgo that immunity on flasks or jewels. Soul of Shakari is my personal favorite. The upgraded power is great against poisoning maps, which will combine with your Blood Rage to kill you very discreetly and often.

Soul of Ryslatha gets a special mention for its Labyrinth application. Gaining charges on your life flasks can be invaluable to running a safe lab, even with a carry, and I'd always recommend using it in labs.

3.6 Trade League Live Searches

Spoiler

To use this section in a new league, do the following:

1. Click on the link of the gear you want to live search.
        2. To the right of the search bar, change the league to the current temporary league.
        3. Click the live search button on the left side.

This process is illustrated in the following (professionally commissioned) image:

Leveling Gear

Wanderlust

Goldrim

Quill Rain

Lochtonial Caress

Uniques

Death's Opus

Storm Cloud

The Servant's Heart (The Tempest Prophecy)

Tabula Rasa

Cheap Humility Div Cards (1.5c or less)

Rares

30% MS Boots with 50+ Resists

5c or less ring with 120+ resists

5c or less leather belt with 75+ life, 75+ resists, and % ele damage with attacks

5c or less ring with 2 ele damage mods and 50+ life

3.7 Gearing For Low and Mid-Tier Maps

Spoiler
Minimum Requirements for Mapping

At this point, you've farmed or bought your Tabula and you've been farming Blood Aqueducts for hours. You want to break into your lower tier maps. Here's what you need:

1. Damage
        2. Resists
        3. Flasks

Damage can be accomplished with The Tempest, a couple of average Searching Eye abyss jewels, and a few "adds _ to _ cold/fire/lightning damage to attacks" mods on jewelry. For some extra oomph, grab a belt with elemental damage to attacks and check out the cheap substitute uniques section in Part 4.

Resists are as simple as going to your favorite trade site and looking for a certain number of pseudo "total elemental resistances" on some gear. Find a piece of gear for 1-2C that has high resists and buy it. Tornado Shot builds don't want their resists spread around. It's so unique-focused that you want to cram all the resists you can on individual pieces so that you can fit in more uniques.

Flasks are simple to start. You want a life, quicksilver, diamond, silver, and jade flask. You'll optimize later, but if you can roll "of Reflexes" on the jade and get "of Heat" and "of Staunching" on any of the other two, you're set for your initial maps.

Beginner Mapping Gear Check

Here's what you should be looking for to start mapping. This is an approximation, and your collection of uniques and your available currency will dictate exactly how your gear looks.

Bow: The Tempest
Quiver: Hyrri's Bite
Body Armour: Tabula Rasa
Helmet: Rat's Nest or Rare with life and resists
Boots: Rare with 30% movement speed, resists, relevant labyrinth mod (leech, movement speed, added damage, etc
Gloves: Rare with life, attack speed OR Shadows and Dust (preferred for Rampage)
Ring 1: Rare Resist stick with as many elemental resists as you can possibly fit
Ring 2: Attributes or resists as needed and as many flat elemental damage to attack rolls as possible
Amulet: Rare with needed attributes, flat elemental damage to attacks, maybe some crit
Belt: Rare Leather Belt with % Increased Elemental Damage With Attacks

Tradeoffs: Damage vs Survivability

Your main issue in low tier maps is going to be whether to go for damage or increase survivability. If you stack as much early damage as possible, you can actually kill map bosses and take down most enemies without a problem. However, you're more likely to get roasted by random packs or even single mobs. The inverse holds true, and you can easily find yourself in a position where you have relative safety in early maps, but you (in some cases literally) cannot kill bosses or high health rares, and you might as well TP if you see an "Allies Regenerate Life" rare mod.

As bosses are so important for map drops, I recommend tuning toward higher damage at first and only focusing on higher HP/Evasion/mitigation once you can comfortably and reliable clear the map bosses of your current tier.

3.8 Gearing For Godhood

Spoiler

Assessing Your Goals

When you're gearing your character with big-time items, you need to stop and decide what you're actually going for. Do you want just enough gear to keep expenses down and farm a white or yellow tier map as fast as possible? Do you want to dump huge amounts of currency into your build and run endless Eldered T16 maps? Is the league mechanic super profitable but requires a much tankier character than normal? You need to give yourself some direction.

Item Progression

This is the general progression of items in a TS build, with options for speed farming and MF. NOTE: This is NOT the purchase order, which is covered in the next section. Use this as a tool to decide which pieces of gear you will want for your own build.

Bow: The Tempest
        For Speed clear: Keep Tempest until you can afford to craft or buy a dex-stacking bow. To craft, get an ilvl 82 Shaped Thicket bow and either repeatedly slam Frigid, Metallic, and Abberant fossils, or alt spam until you get the mod "Adds 3-5 Cold Damage per 10 Dexterity". You'll need to Regal it, Annul off the other mods, and multicraft it with the rest of the mods. This can take TENS OF THOUSANDS OF ALTERATIONS, so be prepared.
        For Magic Find: Windripper.

Quiver: Hyrri's Bite
        Speed Clear AND Magic Find: Rigwald's Quills. If you progress to the dex-stacking bow, upgrade to Hyrri's Demise and go back to Fork as the 6th link.

Body Armour: Tabula Rasa
        Speed Clear AND Magic Find: Queen of the Forest.
        Higher DPS option: Hyrri's Ire. Tons of damage but no life so be careful.

Helmet: Rat's Nest or Rare
        Speed Clear: Devoto's Devotion.
        Tanky: Starkonja.
Note that in true end-game, your helmet should have the lab enchantment with "Tornado Shot fires an additional projectile".

Gloves: Shadows and Dust
        Speed Clear: 2-Socket Tombfist
        Magic Find: Sadima's Touch

Boots: Rare
        Speed Clear: 2-Socket Bubonic Trail, Seven-League Step
        Magic Find: Goldwyrm

Rings: Rares
        Speed Clear: 2x The Taming, Thief's Torment
        Magic Find: 2x Ventor's Gamble, Thief's Torment

Amulet: Rare
        Speed Clear: High damage Rare or Solstice Vigil
        Magic Find: Shaped Quant Rare, Bisco's Collar, or Quant Talisman

Belt: Rare
        Speed Clear: High damage rare or Headhunter
        Magic Find: Bisco's Leash or Headhunter

Maximizing Headhunter

If you want to make the most out of your Headhunter buffs, you need to equip HH, Solstice Vigil, Shackles of the Wretched, and Kaom's Roots. Vigil allows you to turn on Temp Chains with no mana requirements, Shackles applies the temp chains to you instead of enemies, Roots prevents you from being slowed beyond base speed, and the end result is that you are Temp Chained with minimal adverse effects, meaning that your Headhunter buffs last FAR longer than they otherwise would. Enjoy!

3.9 Movement Speed Build Full Purchase Order

Spoiler
This purchase order is made from a combination of experience, item costs, Grimro's YouTube guide, and other forum build guides.

Leveling - Toxic Rain / HoA

-Silverbranch
        -Quill Rain
        -Death's Harp
        -Lochtonial Caress
        -Wurm's Molt

Blood Aqueducts Farming

-Storm Cloud
        -The Servant's Heart Prophecy
        -The Tempest
        -Hyrri's Bite
        -Alchemists' Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline
        -Diamond and Silver Flasks with immunities
        -Prismweave
        -Farm Humilities - Tabula Rasa
        -Fill out rare gear per section 3.7; Helmet, Gloves, 30MS Boots, Rings, Amulet, Belt

White and Yellow Tier Maps

-Lioneye's Fall (This is a bit expensive, but is MASSIVE for the build. Get ASAP.
        -Atziri's Promise flask
        -Shadows and Dust, Thunderfist, or 1-socket Tombfist Gloves
        -If using non-Rampage gloves: Bisco's Leash
        -Unique helmet of choice; Starkonja's or Devoto's (No +1 yet)
        -Rigwald's Quills
        -Dying Sun
        -6-Link Queen of the Forest
        -2 The Taming rings
        -2-Socket Tombfist
        -2-Socket Bubonic Trail
        -Corrupted Blood implicit jewel

Red Maps and Higher

-2 Inspired Learning jewels (Optional)
        -Devoto's or Starkonja's with +1 Enchantment
        -Headhunter
        -Solstice Vigil
        -Dex-stacking bow

Beyond this point, you can begin corrupting extra gear, Divine Orb all of your items, or go for the ultimate item: A Corrupted +1 Chain Rigwald's Quills. It's slightly rare.

3.10 Truly Unethical: Legacy Gearing in Standard League

Spoiler
In Standard league, Magic Find is definitely the way to go for Tornado Shot. Legacy items give you many more options for increased item quantity than exist now in temporary leagues. DeMiGodking102 has the best Legacy TS guide anywhere, and you can find his gear and recommendations about three quarters of the way through his guide here.

The short version: Almost everything can have item quantity rolls in addition to extra life, resists, and flat damage. You'll be tankier with great damage and finding an obscene amount of loot. Have fun!
Cold DoT For Everyone: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2661120
Last edited by ShakCentral on Oct 11, 2019, 4:45:13 PM
Last bumped on Apr 16, 2020, 9:51:14 AM
Part 4: The Part of Tens

Spoiler

4.1 Ten Cheap Uniques That Can Substitute For Expensive Gear

Spoiler
1. Lioneye's Glare

Lioneye's Glare is a consistently 1 Chaos weapon with respectable damage, high attack speed, and it always hits. Great starter weapon while The Tempest is above 20c on day 1 of new leagues.

2. Prismweave

Prismweave is a great cheap belt that functions as a very respectable abyss jewel. With a lot of added damage to attacks and increased elemental damage, this belt is a great way to up your damage at very little cost. It even has some resists!

3. 1-socket Bubonic Trail

Bubonic Trail is a great unique boot, giving a lot of movement speed and life, granting the very nice Death Walk ability, and allowing for more jewels, which Tornado Shot desperately desires. However, Trails with 1 Abyssal socket go for 1 Chaos or lower after a few days of a new league, while 2 Abyssal socket pairs go for upwards of an exalt. Snag a pair early on and you'll be very happy with the benefits.

4. Maloney's Nightfall
Maloney's Nightfall is a cheap quiver that provides a nice blend of defense and offense. While its implicit doesn't do very much, the extra life and smoke clouds are very nice to have early on while the build is uber squishy, and the extra damage and attack speed can definitely be put to use.

5. Rat's Nest

Despite being outshined by its bigger brothers Starkonja and Devoto's, Rat's Nest has always been a very cheap and fine helmet, providing quite a lot of stats for its small size.

6. Daresso's Defiance

Daresso's is an interesting piece. It has very solid Evasion and Armour, a nice chunk of life, and some cool survivability mechanics that have you swapping between Endurance charges for smaller incoming damage and then Onslaught to get out of the way once you do get hit.

7. Shadows and Dust

Shadows and Dust is a very solid glove with crit and crit multi and is one of the cheapest ways that our build can gain access to the Rampage effect. I've used these gloves into the mid/high 80's multiple times.

8. Le Heup of All

Le Heup adds a nice amount of damage and resists to an early build, and the rarity definitely doesn't hurt.

9. The Warden's Brand

The Warden's Brand is an ultra-cheap way of boosting your damage near the time you start farming Blood Aqueducts. No resists and reduced attack speed hurts, but it adds a good amount of damage and the Frenzy charge generation helps to offset the downside.

10. Sacrificial Heart

In Sacrificial Heart we have an ultra-cheap jewelry piece that adds a large amount of flat damage. It basically acts like a souped up abyssal jewel, with the Vaal skill mods being a nice bonus.

4.2 Ten TV Shows to Watch While Farming Blood Aqueducts

Spoiler
The Undisputed: The Office. Not even going to explain why. Just watch it, then watch it again, then never stop.

Hulu Comedy: Brooklyn 99. Excellently written and consistently laugh-out-loud funny.

Zombie Show: Z Nation. YES, it's absurdly corny and meandering. But it's great because it doesn't take itself too seriously and is phenomenal as background mapping material.

Food Show: Chef's Table. Much of the story of the dishes shown on the show is an audio and visual companionship, which leaves a lot of enjoyable content to listen to as you farm.

Docu-series: Our Planet. Documentaries on Earth that are beautiful, relaxing, and informative.

True Crime Adaptation: Mindhunter. Mostly told through dialogue and extraordinarily binge-y. Be aware of the massive amount of potentially traumatic material related to the retelling of sexual crimes.

Easy listening: Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Jerry Seinfeld has coffee and talks with other comedians. It's really that simple. One of my favorite things to listen to while running endless Shaped Arcades as they delve into what truly makes things "funny".

Absolutely Terrible Guilty Pleasure: Supernatural. Best soap opera of all time. Fight me.

Hulu Drama Classic: Lost. 4 8 15 16 23 42. You know it, and you either love it or hate it. I love it.

Best YouTube Show: Hot Ones. The best interviewer on the planet sits down with celebrities and interviews them while both parties chow down on increasingly hot wings. It's great to watch people's personas fade as they lose feeling in their face, and it's consistently hilarious.

4.3 Ten Builds To Play If You Need A Break From Tornado Shot

Spoiler

I Need A Break From Insane Speed: Vortex Occultist

I Need A Break From Skipping End-Game Bosses: Glacial Cascade Mines Saboteur

I Need A Break From Squishy Builds: Max Block Dual Strike Guardian

I Need A Break From Killing Monsters Myself: Mass Minion Support Necromancer

I Need A Break From Off-Screening Enemies: Ground Slam Berserker

I Need A Break From Broken Mechanics: Arc Elementalist

I Need A Break From Expensive Builds: Orb of Storms Assassin

I Need A Break From Attack Builds: Storm Brand Inquisitor

I Need A Break From Playing Ranger: Righteous Fire Cheiftain

I Need A Break From Path of Exile: MTG Arena

Part 5: FAQ, Index, And Changelog IN PROGRESS

Spoiler

5.1 Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler

5.2 Index

Spoiler
This is a bad idea. Here goes.

*Currently Indexed Through 3.3

A
⚫Additional Projectiles - 1.1, 3.5, 3.8
⚫Area of Effect (AoE) - 1.1, 1.2, 3.3, 3.5

B
⚫Bosses - 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 3.7, 4.3

C
⚫Claws - 1.4, 3.4
⚫Clearspeed - 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 3.2, 3.7, 3.8
⚫Currency - Intro, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 3.7, 3.8

D
⚫DeMiGodking102 - Foreward, 3.10
⚫Dexterity - 1.2, 3.1, 3.8, 3.9

E
⚫End-Game (broad) - 1.2, 1.4, 2.4, 3.3, 3.8, 4.3
⚫Evasion - 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 4.1

F
⚫Farming - 1.3, 2.5, 3.7, 3.8, 3.8, 4.1, 4.2
⚫Flasks - 3.2, 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9
⚫Flat Added Damage - 1.1, 3.4, 3.7, 3.10, 4.1

G
⚫Gem(s) - 1.1, 1.4, 2.4, 2.5, 3.1
⚫Grimro - Foreward, 3.9

H

I
⚫Impale - Foreward, 1.1, 1.4

J
⚫Jewels - 1.4, 2.5, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, 4.1

K

L
⚫League(s) - Intro, Foreward, 1.1, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 3.6, 3.8, 3.10, 4.1
⚫Leveling - Intro, Foreward, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 3.1, 3.5, 3.6, 3.9
⚫Life - 1.2, 1.4, 2.4, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.10, 4.1
⚫Links - 1.1, 1.4, 2.4, 2.5, 3.8, 3.9

M
⚫Magic Find - Foreward, 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 3.8, 3.10
⚫Map(s) - Intro, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.5, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 4.2
⚫Mechanics - 1.1
⚫Melee - 1.2, 3.4
⚫Movement Speed - Foreward, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9

N

O
⚫Unique(s) - 1.2, 1.4, 2.1, 2.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.6, 3.7, 3.9, 4.1

P
⚫Path of Building - 1.4
⚫Pierce - 1.1

Q
⚫Quantity - 1.4, 3.10
⚫Queen of the Forest - 1.2, 3.8, 3.9

R
⚫Range/Ranged - Foreward, 1.1, 1.2
⚫Rare (items) - 1.2, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9
⚫Resistances - 1.2, 2.5, 3.2, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.10, 4.1

S
⚫Shaper Items - 1.4, 3.8
⚫Single Target - 1.1, 1.2
⚫Spell(s) - 1.2

T
⚫Tornado Shot - Literally everywhere. Why the hell are you looking this up?

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

5.3 Changelog

Spoiler
⚫ 10/2/19 - Added 25+ terms to the index and updated the note at the beginning of the guide.
⚫ 9/26/19 - Updated PoBs to reflect a more realistic lvl 90 Tree by default. Continued work on index.
⚫ 9/24/19 - Nearly done with Part 3. Updated Post Title. HUGE CHANGE: Added numbering system for sections within each part. Will make indexing and referencing much easier.
⚫ 9/23/19 - Totally forgot to update this as I've continued work on the guide. 3.5 of the 5 sections are complete. The Index will need to be created, and I still have to finish jewels, end-game gearing, purchase order, and a few other items. Getting close!
⚫ 9/10/19 - Table of Contents structure placed into body of guide. Spoilers and colors modified and put in place.
⚫ 9/9/19 - Forum post created. Marked as Work In Progress. For Dummies intro, dedication, and Table of Contents sections put in place.
Last edited by ShakCentral on Oct 9, 2019, 2:57:05 PM
Reserved for friends and family.
Last edited by ShakCentral on Sep 23, 2019, 10:33:48 AM
I'm a total newb to PoE so I can't wait for this to be finished! Bookmarked for later.
I'm interested hmm
Shaddohh and Yalarun,

Thanks for the early encouragement. Please be aware that this will be a work-in-progress for quite a while. I'm testing things, talking with other Tornado Shot players, and trying to make this as complete as possible.

I am attempting to assemble the guide in the most new-player friendly way possible (for example, I plan to finish the New Player Info and leveling section before addressing the god-tier gear). Hopefully this will allow people to easily begin the build even before the guide is complete.

Thanks again!
I'm hyped!
In hate we trust.
This has encouraged me to tidy up my Ice shot Chaingunner, the written side took a big step back as I spent way too long editing the video version.

The list of contents though I might have to borrow some ideas from, cheers.
I make odd builds and sometimes write guides.
My updates and other junk are at https://www.youtube.com/user/Psywearebabylon
Been playing since before Atziri so got maybe 1% of the games intricacies learnt. Only 4 million more hours playing to be classed as a rank amateur :D
This looks awesome. I took on a TS build and I'm kinda struggling atm so hoping once this thread is finished can gain some insight.
Koteiiko I'm hyped too! I really enjoy putting these things together.

SynixProcessing, I'm glad that this, as barebones as it is currently, has inspired you! I'll be sure to check out your guide when I'm able.

Deus, what exactly are you struggling with?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info