Why are people so mad?

"
鬼殺し wrote:

This was the theme of my every MTG deck. Cowakaze! Kamibunga!

So you played something like stacks or smallpox?
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
I'm not mad. I live in the best country in the world in at best time in history with best president ever. Now if I were in say Cameroon where my friend is from and they have a civil war going on plus it's always been turmoil I would probably be upset or move to USA.

Interesting story about my friend. He has two pools and cant even swim. But said he likes freedom of having and indoo and outdoor pool USA provides. I built them for him. I thought Thats whats awesome about USA. An immigrant who came at 16 with basically shirt on his back own a law firm in Beverly hills.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 30, 2019, 10:52:45 PM
lol
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I'm not mad. I live in the best country in the world in at best time in history with best president ever. Now if I were in say Cameroon where my friend is from and they have a civil war going on plus it's always been turmoil I would probably be upset or move to USA.

Interesting story about my friend. He has two pools and cant even swim. But said he likes freedom of having and indoo and outdoor pool USA provides. I built them for him. I thought Thats whats awesome about USA. An immigrant who came at 16 with basically shirt on his back own a law firm in Beverly hills.

Is English your native language? I've been kind of curious because all we really know about you from your posts is you're a Muslim happily living in the US making a decent living building swimming pools for rich people. But more than once I've read a post from you and wondered if you don't speak a different language natively. Did you emigrate to the US? I imagine that'd definitely give someone a different perspective on the place compared to someone born there, who might take much of its freedom and civil liberties for granted.

This remind me of this story.

Two fish in the ocean meet one another, the one quite fragile and old the other a newborn full of life.
They get talking to one another and at one point the older fish asks the young one "so how is the water around these parts?" to which the young one replies "what is water?".

Probably one of the reasons why it's the young ones always on the baricades rooting for revolution i imagine or at least easily convinced to do so.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I find it interesting that we can say 'mad' and mean either 'insane' or 'angry', but once it becomes a condition, a state, 'madness', it can only mean 'a state of insanity', not 'a state of anger'.

Does this mean at some point the original meaning, 'insane', co-mingled with the other meaning, 'angry', because some people's anger is so uncontrollable it's virtually a form of insanity?

I wonder, I wonder...

And what do I do when I wonder? I start beating on the wooden man with my masterful Google-fu!

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/can-mad-mean-angry

Can only mean a state of insanity? Nope. Insanity implies a lack of insight, a term often tossed around. Madness can be embraced as a way of life. Makes sense for those who have no way of ever being normal/ regular, or any desire to. Mad is the preferred term, for many, rather than crazy.

Mad Studies, also.

Last edited by erdelyii on Jul 1, 2019, 6:08:26 PM
Hiy they closed down the jew thread, now i'm mad.

Can't believe people find a term referring to practictioners of a certain religion intrinsically derogatory.

I guess that's a partial answer why people are mad, they find stuff to be upset about on other people's behalf to signal their moral status which leads to a nice well of ever growing narcisism and egocentric thought were eventually the groups proclaimed to be protected end up being silenced to keep the engine of self-masturbation going.

What a time to be alive.

Peace,

-Boem-
He didn't make a legitimate point.

It would only hold if the term "jew" was intrinsically derogatory, which it is not and even if we ignore that part, we would still have to ignore the entire context in which the sentence and word is utilized.

That's a couple of hoops to jump true just to feel offended.

I mean i would love to hear the reasoning behind the term "jew" being offensive outside the context of PoE for starters, let alone then bringing the argument inside that context.

I guess explaining it would make you uncomfortable but perhaps not, so might aswell ask.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
Charan wrote:
I was being lay and glib, and now that you're back I probably should know better...

Back? Did I leave?

The Code of Conduct thread posts was a mix of real values, making a point and having a fine time of it, and opportune timing to take a break. I do plan to be around less, way less, all the same.

I did listen to what you said in the messages to me, and also... people talking about not talking about the rules is silly. Push them, find where the bounds lie, but "we can't do it" nonsense, I'm almost morally obliged to stop in and say what the fuck. It's like your point, only you'd have dinner with the commandant and try to reason with them until you gave up and paid your way to a nicer place to live, and I'd die in a hail of bullets for freedom, taking some dissidents down with me in a rebellion. Or would that be the way of it?

Anyway. If you reply to me I'll be compelled to reply, won't I though?

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I've been dwelling on the lifestyle thing, erd. I disagree that embracing madness as a way of life isn't insane. But I get that we're both invoking a relativity here and I feel like to really explore it here would indeed be a sort of madness.

Yes, quite. I wasn't planning to unpack that, just putting it out there as something people do.

I've moved part of your post to the next idea

"
Charan wrote:
So I'll let another one just bubble to the surface and see what happens: madly in love...?. Or, the more British concept of being 'mad for it', meaning 'absolutely can't resist it'. The common link, I think, is a loss of reason, an irrationality. That's the connection between angry-mad, insane-mad, love-mad and obsession-mad for me.

To that, being glib and lay,

"
Polonius:
What is the matter, my lord?

Hamlet:
Between who?

Polonius:
I mean, the matter that you read, my lord.

Hamlet:
Slanders, sir; for the satirical rogue says here that old men
have grey beards, that their faces are wrinkled, their eyes purging
thick amber and plum-tree gum, and that they have a plentiful
lack of wit, together with most weak hams; all which, sir, though
I most powerfully and potently believe, yet I hold it not honesty
to have it thus set down, for yourself, sir, shall grow old as I am, if
like a crab you could go backward.

Polonius:
[Aside] Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 193–206

Thoughts?

Lastly,

"
Charan wrote:
All of which is to say that the title for the Stephen King novel 'Rose Madder' really confused me for a while. I didn't know it was a colour and I'm fairly sure he was gambling on that.

Yeah, I like that many women would know, or, at least, there's a greater chance women would know it's a colour. I like that it's an obscure colour, so it reads as Rose, Madder which fits for the coming back from being held down and abused storyline.

Funny you should mention the book. It came up this week in another conversation. I'd never read it, or looked at a copy on a shelf. Odd, really, but then not. I just realised, if it's a single word female title, I'll pick it up and check it out, but the two name ones, nope. Never read Dolores Clairborne or looked into it either, but did watch the movie with relatives.

Last edited by erdelyii on Jul 2, 2019, 5:45:29 AM
Charan you have the funniest way of saying "i got nothing".

As far as "madness" is concerned, i would divide it into two main themes.

- the absence of rationality
- the absence of time

The absence of rationality seems straightforward and can be attributed to the heart taking control of the senses.
The most obvious example would be the cyclical nature of the human experience and using the heart as an argument to continue a cyclical habbit that is destructive to one-self instead of using the ample free-time we currently posses to both assess and direct ourselves.

I guess it could be summed up as concious free-will rather then enslaved
free-will.

The second form of madness which concerns time also has a hint of the former intrenched in it, though it is very much less straightforward.
It is the form of madness that is called mad up to the point when it is not.

For example, somebody saying thirty years ago that in the future man will be enslaved to a divice that allows global communication and can consume any conversation with a simple google search.

These are functions of rationality contemplating beyond the person in questions scope of time making him an easy mark for the label "mad".
It's an active exploration of forwards projection using fantasy, some of them will never become reality while some will be able to trade in the "mad" label for adoration and the tittle of genius at a later time.

This is not the absence of rationality, just that it is utilized beyond the scope of present time which means the condition of the fantasy developed with it will constitute the usefullness of it's final projection.

Rationality simply put is the actor that preserves the story adopted by the global think-frame. So a prediction that ultimately becomes adopted is removed from the realm of madness automatically or the think-frame would crumble under the inconsistency.

Imagine how we would consider people thinking about aliens if tomorrow they arrived for example, depending on how close to reality their fantastic tale would have been they would be granted citizenship into the sane class once again.

In these cases rationality is utilized but we still utilize the label madness for them. Because the wielding of it's properties are beyond the scope and utility of most and therefore alien to them or "mad".

Peace,

-Boem-
Last edited by Boem on Jul 2, 2019, 7:20:52 AM
Damn a lot of jehovah witnesses in this thread

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info