Why are people so mad?

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
The_Impeacher wrote:
"
vmt80 wrote:
People are mad because rapid flow of information and exchange of older ideas has made them more aware of diversity in their species' character.

Could be! Perhaps the secret to happiness and sanity is to turn off the computer and television.

No way. The secret is to turn off people who haven't proven themselves worth your time OR have proven themselves not worth your time. Plenty of great games and TV can be enjoyed without invoking a sense of being mad, however you wish to interpret it. There's no way in hell I'd let something as simple as a moron here or there ruin two of modern life's greatest pleasures!

Uh, I do think there are plenty of reasons why people ought to be mad. However, the next step is crucial -whether people have tools and knowledge to turn their anger into proactive, morally responsible action. It is action which anger calls body for, after all.

I mean, for example recently people in my country got mad hearing a few of our citizens were caught in a camp in Syria. They were women who had moved to ISIS areas voluntary, and now, after resistance movements have been crushed by official government, are begging to get back here. There were children in there, too.

I've despised ISIS wholeheartedly, no question about it. I'd even go as far as claim their ideology being philosophically revolting to me. But people got mad at me for me reminding them what a moral victory consists of. It is not enough to defeat such an organization militarily, it is about acting as a rightful victor. Of course there's a certain price for being a better man, but there's also a hidden price for giving in to primitive anger, no matter how justified it might be.

That is an example why getting mad may be a rightful reaction, yet letting your reactions dictate your choices might not be the best. In fact, I'm inclined to think it is our moral character that makes us mad in the first place.

In the same sense, getting depressed may in fact be appropriate bodily reaction to the circumstances we have been thrown in. It's not always for our best interest to medicate it all away. It does not mean business-as-usual either, because depression has a signal function of telling body to stop repeating a failed action over and over again.
Last edited by vmt80 on Jul 4, 2019, 6:49:50 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Okay. Not sure why you quoted me with that little tirade, but go you! ^_^

I assume he was actually trying to quote himself to better explain where he was coming from in his own quote?
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Cute kittens! They improve any thread. :)
Censored.
"
The Reporter wrote:
Could be! Perhaps the secret to happiness and sanity is to turn off the computer and television.

That is no secret. :)
Censored.
Balance and prosper!
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Evolve and eradicate!

Harvest more Vespene gas.
You must construct additional pylons.
I'm so mad because I spilled my milk. waaaa WAAAAA!
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
I'm mad at my hands because the arthritis is making it more painful by the day to play clicky video games.
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
Mad is no more! Or should I say MAD magazine, to be more accurate. At least it will cease publishing new stuff.

Internet collateral damage n all that, I guess. Anyway RiP old friend. Another one bites the dust...

Edit: Oh, and with all due respect, Zeratul, the Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld. It is here that we shall make our stand!
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Jul 6, 2019, 3:30:49 PM
"
Mad is no more! Or should I say MAD magazine, to be more accurate. At least it will cease publishing new stuff.

Internet collateral damage n all that, I guess. Anyway RiP old friend. Another one bites the dust...

Edit: Oh, and with all due respect, Zeratul, the Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld. It is here that we shall make our stand!

Wow, that's sad. I used to love those when I was a kid. I used to live with a friend when I was 13-16, his mom owned every one ever published. I would sit around all day reading them for hours. She's probably gonna be pretty hurt by that.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info