Cyclone

Can someone explain me something I don´t grasp.

Cyclone is a [melee] [attack] gem. I always thought that tags say something about the skill. Shockwave Totem has [AoE]. By spending points to get increased AoE the size of the totem nova increases. But using effects like "Energy Shield gained for each enemy hit by your [attack]" does nothing for cyclone. Is that intended? Is the same true for "Life gain on hit" , the Punishment curse effect and similiar effects? Is it no [melee] [attack]?
ES on Hit works fine with Cyclone, or at least it worked when I tried a week ago.
Note that 2 ES on Hit is a very, very small amount of ES to gain. Try it against enemies that don't deal much Damage (Normal Coast for example).

If you are Cursed with Punishment, every Hit you land will grant enemies Physical Damage and Attack Speed. With LGoH, every Hit you land grants you Life. etc. etc.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 20, 2015, 8:55:35 AM
I meant the other way around. Punishment does not trigger when a monster is hit by my cyclone attack neither do I gain the Energy Shield from my jewel nor the mana and life from poachers mark.
Punishment only triggers when the Cursed entity hits something in melee, not when the Cursed entity is Hit. It's in the description and everything.
Life/Mana Gain on Hit work perfectly fine for me. Hitting anything cursed with Poacher's Mark instantly fills up my Mana due to the Mana on Hit.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 20, 2015, 10:21:09 AM
Ok. After trying again Poachers Mark works but I could bet it didn´t some hours ago.
I have been using cyclone since release. and despite the desyncs at the time and other things. i stayed with it. There is one issue that has ALWAYS pissed me off. Cyclone NEEDS and auto path correction code. Its bullshit when you cyclone and instantly stop inside a freakin object and cant move . Or instantly interupted WHILE SPINNING by something thats not even there. I shouldnt get stopped cold by a tiny pebble. I can shred through countless swarms of mobs but a tiny pebble stops me.. like seriously. Put in a path correction for when you run into an impassable object such as bullshit tiny rocks that shouldnt stop you anyway. The skill is still bugged in smaller areas and will sometimes just stop you cold you cant move and just die (not from traps or curses)
I think you have ruined a lot of what was cool about cyclone by adding this min distance stuff, no initial pulse and reducing the cost significantly.

the original whirlwind tornado sprint build in diablo 3, as bad as that game is, was imo a more fun and interesting spam build than anything ever created in poe. To get resources back from the crits of the tornados fueling the ww was cool, but to keep perm wrath of the berserker buff up you had to spend fury, and you would cap fury way too quickly unless you had a way of artificially spending down your resources enough to be able to generate even more fury per second by spamming an alternate skill like a shout, but not too much that youd run dry. It was interesting, there was a technique to keeping it going, it wasnt just hold down a button forever nooblol joke build like youve essentially made your cyclone now.

While your cyclone is crap compared to that d3 build in terms of having to play it right, honestly no personal offense meant but it is, it still did have a knack to it before you gimped it with these shit changes. It was horrendously expensive and could quickly drain out ridiculous amounts of life, and you could make it even worse but get more damage doing so by short spamming and spam clicking. this vid of willy using cyclone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZIx5Hfeg0U

is only possible because there is a bug in the vaal fight where the apex thing in the middle goes away but leaves a clipping brush still in place that you cant cyclone over, this lets you get stuck inside this clip brush and cyclone infinitely on the spot. Thats a bug with that area in particular not cyclone. Look at his life, look how much life hes spending thats insane even with that 1 zone bug he nearly kills himself doing that.

Now its way cheaper, easy to sustain, not at all dangerous to use, theres no technique to using it you just hold down the button now and spin through the entire map. Imo you destroyed what was making cyclone interesting, its now a measurably shitter skill because of these changes. As far as im concerned you just listened to a bunch of people you shouldnt have been listening to saying "omg cyclone broken omg reduce the cost and dont let it short spam" just clueless people who watch a vid like that wonka one and dont realise thats a zone bug with clip brushes and you couldnt just do that against any mob. Just totally unwarranted nerf and simplification, noobification of cyclone. If you felt like it was doing too much damage you should have just reduced its damage, which it wasnt tbh outside of a bug like the wonka vid that needs fixed by fixing that clipping brush rather than doing anything to cyclone.
Im bit unsatesfy whit reduced bonus on quality.
Generaly my dager got 5 range so +10 range is like 0.5 weapon range..
I dont realy see the point in taking +2 weapon range when this is so small all in all that idk what you need to make it even a dicent.

Dps lost on reduced range is so huge so i dont see whay this skill have duble standard when scaling. Best i can do is to get +2 weapon range and +10 from quality. Making futer invesment is realy unoticable in practice.

Idk but having so many parameters invested, crit, attack speed, accuracy, damage, movment speed, and the also AoE is realy pushing it.
Can you rethink this concept and give more room for builds that are not Marauder whit weapon choice+RT+Duelist Master of arena+Templar AoE.

It just dont feel wort investing when you may only notice something if you get to extrime and not to mention Blood Magic gem you cant drop no mather.
Last edited by nEVER_BoRN on Sep 9, 2015, 6:00:50 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I think you have ruined a lot of what was cool about cyclone by adding this min distance stuff, no initial pulse and reducing the cost significantly.

the original whirlwind tornado sprint build in diablo 3, as bad as that game is, was imo a more fun and interesting spam build than anything ever created in poe. To get resources back from the crits of the tornados fueling the ww was cool, but to keep perm wrath of the berserker buff up you had to spend fury, and you would cap fury way too quickly unless you had a way of artificially spending down your resources enough to be able to generate even more fury per second by spamming an alternate skill like a shout, but not too much that youd run dry. It was interesting, there was a technique to keeping it going, it wasnt just hold down a button forever nooblol joke build like youve essentially made your cyclone now.

While your cyclone is crap compared to that d3 build in terms of having to play it right, honestly no personal offense meant but it is, it still did have a knack to it before you gimped it with these shit changes. It was horrendously expensive and could quickly drain out ridiculous amounts of life, and you could make it even worse but get more damage doing so by short spamming and spam clicking. this vid of willy using cyclone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZIx5Hfeg0U

is only possible because there is a bug in the vaal fight where the apex thing in the middle goes away but leaves a clipping brush still in place that you cant cyclone over, this lets you get stuck inside this clip brush and cyclone infinitely on the spot. Thats a bug with that area in particular not cyclone. Look at his life, look how much life hes spending thats insane even with that 1 zone bug he nearly kills himself doing that.

Now its way cheaper, easy to sustain, not at all dangerous to use, theres no technique to using it you just hold down the button now and spin through the entire map. Imo you destroyed what was making cyclone interesting, its now a measurably shitter skill because of these changes. As far as im concerned you just listened to a bunch of people you shouldnt have been listening to saying "omg cyclone broken omg reduce the cost and dont let it short spam" just clueless people who watch a vid like that wonka one and dont realise thats a zone bug with clip brushes and you couldnt just do that against any mob. Just totally unwarranted nerf and simplification, noobification of cyclone. If you felt like it was doing too much damage you should have just reduced its damage, which it wasnt tbh outside of a bug like the wonka vid that needs fixed by fixing that clipping brush rather than doing anything to cyclone.

it was a pvp and boss fight nerf.

Now this skills suck in pvp because it deal too little damage and it attack too quick making it 0 effective vs blockers (in past it was quick but the dps boost on spam was enough to bypass block aegis with block gem reduction).

Forum pvp
Two questions for Mark.

1. It appears that Cyclone, "measuring weapon range from the edge of the character" (quoting Mark from the mechanics thread), effectively has a base range of 2+n, where n is the weapon range and 2 is the base radius of character model.

As such, for instance, the unarmed range to apply AoE increases to is actually 2+4=6, rather than 4.

Is this correct?

2. Also, because the quality bonus (+10% AoE at 20% quality) always rounds down, it will do nothing at all except under very specific circumstances, such as:

• upon attaining 10+ base weapon range (currently impossible when unarmed): 10×1.1=11;
• upon equipping Carcass Jack, and/or picking up AoE node(s), and/or using Increased AoE support;
• partially negating the downside of Concentrated Effect (by at most 1 under most favorable circumstances).

Is this correct? If so, are you considering reinstating some of its quality bonus back, so that it does do something without extra hoops? (+0.75% per 1% quality seems like it would do the trick for any kind of weapon.)
<Tyrfalger> Exactly, the next act is going outside Sarn and into those wheat fields (see the map) to become a farmer. Then we can spend our days endlessly farming. Wait a minute...
Last edited by moozooh on Sep 16, 2015, 4:57:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info